Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #436
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
This is good. John... Ned... talk to Japan. Tell them they need to make the Q weather resistant before the production versions hit the street. To date, not a single camera in the new mirror less, interchangeable lens segment offers WR. Adding it to the Q would instantly give the camera and system something beyond size novelty... and make it a player with the outdoor crowd. A weather-resistant Q would be an interesting proposition for backpackers and bikers who shoot a lot of landscapes and nature shots.
with 1/2.3" sensor - landscapes and nature??? WR for such camera is as welcome as water in one's shoes...

06-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #437
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
If the market for the Pentax Q wasn't niche enough, now we need a WR version as well?
Twitch: Not "as well." I think all Qs should have WR, which can only add to its appeal, differentiate it from any competition, aid in finding its market - and help justify its price. In fact, I think all of Pentax's mirrorless cameras going forward should have WR. There was talk for a while that Pentax might do this with all its DSLRs - a missed opportunity in my mind.

Ogl: You've read and agreed with my misgivings about the Q. I still have them. And while you may scoff at the idea of a 1/2.3 sensor being used for landscapes, that fact is you (and most likely me as well) won't be buying ANY camera with that kind of sensor. However, many mainstream consumers will and they will use those cameras the way we use DSLRs. I can see many hikers and backpackers being attracted to the concept of a tiny camera like the Q with WR. A much better option than the W-90, wouldn't you say? Yes, I know, the W-90 is a waterproof camera for underwater work. But many consumers buy it, and other cameras like it, for general outdoor use so they won't have to worry about damage from things like rain and dust - despite the compromises of folded optics and high ISO noise because the cameras lack true shake-reduction..

Last edited by Biro; 06-26-2011 at 10:26 PM.
06-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #438
Veteran Member

If WR could be added for free, then sure why not. Problem is with a $800 non WR version, what would a WR version cost? Adding WR to bodies and lenses would a) cost money and 2) needed to be designed up front anyway, WR is not something that can be retrofitted...
06-27-2011, 12:31 AM   #439
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
If WR could be added for free, then sure why not. Problem is with a $800 non WR version, what would a WR version cost? Adding WR to bodies and lenses would a) cost money and 2) needed to be designed up front anyway, WR is not something that can be retrofitted...
Already announced without any WR...:ugh:

06-27-2011, 12:43 AM   #440
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok I have scanned it in, but I saved as a pdf, can I upload that here? It's 3 pages of Q&A about the Pentax Q (Which partly stands for Queen by the way, as their K system stands for King...) It's a bit too big, it's 3.61 mb :/

Last edited by NicoleAu; 06-27-2011 at 12:54 AM.
06-27-2011, 01:16 AM - 1 Like   #441
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Who is this person...Where is this person?...Inside mind of HOYA? Virtual person?
Am I the only one who is pretty sick of all this bashing and whining before a single picture is seen from this camera?

QuoteQuote:
And it's unreal to be with best image quality between top compact cameras from another brands with bigger sensor and m4/3 cameras.
New Olympus is close to Pentax Q dimensions, but has MUCH bigger sensor.
Top-compacts has 1/1.65 sensors and 1/1.7" sensors. Faster lens. How to be better with tiny sensor and slower lenses?
The solution is simple - if you like that sensor, then BUY that camera!
Q is obviously NOT for you. Bashing it in 100 more posts won't make it any different.
And there is no need for any brand tie up or brand loyalty in choosing a mirrorless systems. Just choose whatever suits YOU most!
06-27-2011, 01:23 AM   #442
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Q is obviously NOT for you.
it's not for me...it's not for you...it's not for anybody...
everybody will forget about Pentax Q close to winter...

06-27-2011, 01:33 AM - 2 Likes   #443
Veteran Member

Here we go, you can download it from here

PentaxQ001.pdf it's just over 3.5mb
06-27-2011, 01:49 AM   #444
Veteran Member

Havent followed the entire thread but is there any sample images from the Q out yet?
06-27-2011, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #445
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not yet Simon.
Waiting for it for this thread to have any meaningful discussion.
There is nothing 'in the flesh' about this discussion so far...
06-27-2011, 02:37 AM   #446
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote

Thanks Nicole - really useful info!

Some interesting insights into what Pentax is thinking, over and above the slide presentation.

I find the whole "King" and "Queen" monikers embarassing, to be honest. These terms may be sound cool in Japanese, but they just sound dorky to me. And "queen" in English have multiple overloaded semantic associations that I won't even go to.

Besides, What does "P" (Pentax) stands for? "Princess"? :-)
06-27-2011, 03:35 AM   #447
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote

Are you sure that we can find people who LIKE 1/2.3" sensor.

And who select camera ONLY by sensor? Very few people, I think...
06-27-2011, 03:38 AM   #448
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote

I find the whole "King" and "Queen" monikers embarassing, to be honest. These terms may be sound cool in Japanese, but they just sound dorky to me. And "queen" in English have multiple overloaded semantic associations that I won't even go to.
06-27-2011, 04:00 AM   #449
ogl
Banned

THANK YOU!!!!!

No plans to launch K-mount mirrorless near future. They plan to develop exicting mounts - 645, K and Q further...
They made Pentax Q instead of K-mount mirrorless.
06-27-2011, 04:41 AM   #450

Very interesting, thanks, partly for what it doesn't say. They mention (Q19) the lens having a slightly larger image circle than the sensor because the sensor needs to move about for shake reduction. But question 49 about what size sensor the lens will adapt to, gets no answer.