Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 110 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #556
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
All it really is, is a p&s with interchangeable lenses, which make it more fiddly.

It doesn't have any real benefits over a good overall p&s like Sony HX5v.

Sony benefits;
  • 24 - 250 zoom - good glass
  • 10fps shooting with tracking - yes it works
  • panorama mode - it definitely has it's place - just sweep left to right
  • twilight mode - at high iso it take 6 shots and blends together
  • very very good HD video incorporating a dual optical image stabilizer for very smooth hand held video even while walking
  • less then half the price

Oh I forgot about macro as well

IQ - good enough which is governed by the sensor size - which is never ever ever ever going to be at the level of a larger sensor given the same technology

If I'm taking a scenic shot with lets say a Nex with the 16mm pancake and the tog with with his uber expensive Q - which camera is going to deliver the best IQ??

Certainly not the Q

So what is one actually paying for in the Q???
Perhaps nothing special other than the points above. We'll see when production copies are available and their performance/IQ is examined. This is certainly a niche product at this point but it's also just the start of a new product line.

07-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #557
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
All it really is, is a p&s with interchangeable lenses, which make it more fiddly.

Sony benefits;
  • 24 - 250 zoom - good glass
  • 10fps shooting with tracking - yes it works
  • panorama mode - it definitely has it's place - just sweep left to right
  • twilight mode - at high iso it take 6 shots and blends together
  • very very good HD video incorporating a dual optical image stabilizer for very smooth hand held video even while walking
  • less then half the price

Oh I forgot about macro as well

IQ - good enough which is governed by the sensor size - which is never ever ever ever going to be at the level of a larger sensor given the same technology

If I'm taking a scenic shot with lets say a Nex with the 16mm pancake and the tog with with his uber expensive Q - which camera is going to deliver the best IQ??

Certainly not the Q

So what is one actually paying for in the Q???
Your paying for the glass. Sensor is new we have to test it. Electronics are getting smaller and better.
07-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #558
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
Your paying for the glass.
The glass which Pentax believes in so much that they even call it "TOY" themselves.
07-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #559
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
The glass which Pentax believes in so much that they even call it "TOY" themselves.
they don't call the prime or the zoom Toy, just the lenses (which are cheap) that affect a Toy look
the camera comes with what looks to be a beter than average lens for the small sensor category

07-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #560
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Also, the lenses that will come be definitely good. Some rumor, Oly might go for Q-Mount camera. -Local Source

Last edited by Kenn100D; 07-07-2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: good missing
07-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #561
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
they don't call the prime or the zoom Toy, just the lenses (which are cheap) that affect a Toy look the camera comes with what looks to be a beter than average lens for the small sensor category
What are they going to do when they want to introduce a new lens? Just add a "6" model? Given that "4" and "5" are Toy models, how will they distinguish 6 from its numeric neighbours? "NOT A TOY"? Or will it be model "1.5: we forgot the wide prime".
07-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #562
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
What are they going to do when they want to introduce a new lens? Just add a "6" model? Given that "4" and "5" are Toy models, how will they distinguish 6 from its numeric neighbours? "NOT A TOY"? Or will it be model "1.5: we forgot the wide prime".

if it's the wide prime it will have to be 0.75

1.5 will be the tele

07-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #563
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
rofl

very good.
07-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #564
Veteran Member

Sony benefits;
[LIST][*]24 - 250 zoom - good glass
Am I the only one that choked while reading that?

24-250 - good glass - isn't that an oxymoron, like "military intelligence"? :-)

Sorry, couldn't resist. I might need to look at the Sony HX5V - sounds like an interesting camera.
07-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #565
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Am I the only one that choked while reading that?

24-250 - good glass - isn't that an oxymoron, like "military intelligence"?
Nah, but there wasn't much point responding to it - we can become quite fickle when new technology entices us
07-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #566
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Nah, but there wasn't much point responding to it - we can become quite fickle when new technology entices us
Well, I took the poster seriously and did some research on the Sony camera.

Nice ... but not really in the same category. In fact the reviews I read said the image quality was soft, colours were off and pictures look way over-processed.

I don't think it's fair to lump the Q with P&S cameras like the Sony with tons of gimmicky features.

To me, the attraction of the Q is that it's essentially a miniaturised Kr with similar controls. For that, I'll gladly pay a premium over a gimmick.
07-07-2011, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #567
Veteran Member

Gimmick is the operative word here :)

To me, the attraction of the Q is that it's essentially a miniaturised Kr with similar controls. For that, I'll gladly pay a premium over a gimmick.

Essentially a miniaturized K-r?!?

With a much tinier sensor, capable of very little DOF control, probably nothing wider than 24mm (135 equiv,) and even with BLI, 'good' IQ (non-NR'd) ending at ISO 800. I wonder what sort of DR we're talking about, also.

"gimmick" does come to mind.

But they did make it look like a mini DSLR on a keychain, all for a low starting price of $800!

Although, in reality it's still this:

(2006 'Q' prototype)

Last edited by jsherman999; 07-07-2011 at 05:18 PM.
07-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #568
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Essentially a miniaturized K-r?!?
Essentially, yes, in terms of shooting controls and the availability of a standard prime lens, which is all that I care about.

To me photography isn't about image quality, or sensor size, ...

Every day, great photos are taken on iPhones, and lots of bad photos on expensive full frame cameras.

At the end of the day, photography is about the right moment, and the right opportunity. A miniaturised camera with good control of shooting parameters and a standard lens will allow me to realise more moments and more opportunities. That, to me, is the value proposition of the Q.
07-08-2011, 01:07 AM - 3 Likes   #569
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Essentially, yes, in terms of shooting controls and the availability of a standard prime lens, which is all that I care about.

To me photography isn't about image quality, or sensor size, ...

Every day, great photos are taken on iPhones, and lots of bad photos on expensive full frame cameras.

At the end of the day, photography is about the right moment, and the right opportunity. A miniaturised camera with good control of shooting parameters and a standard lens will allow me to realise more moments and more opportunities. That, to me, is the value proposition of the Q.
I am pretty sure that photography is all about which brand of camera you shoot with.
07-08-2011, 01:36 AM   #570
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I am pretty sure that photography is all about which brand of camera you shoot with.
LOL - how true, how true ...

In that case, no one here is a photographer ...

I'm so lucky I own a Canon compact (in pink) ...