Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2011, 05:12 AM   #751
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
No, read the middle of the page:

"This is PRE-ORDER item.

It selling start next month in Japan.
"
And, for your convenience, without a battery.

According to the listing, Japan Post will not ship such a battery. I wonder what Plan B is for those purchasing this way .....

07-19-2011, 05:32 AM   #752

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I still have my K10D and I disagree with you. At ISO100, the K10D has fantastic image quality - anything above ISO100 the Q wins.

And I still think you are confusing DOF with bokeh - from what I can see of the sample images, the bokeh on the lens is quite good (better than the FA43). The DOF equivalency of the lens is pretty high - from the images I think it's roughly equivalent to f8 on the FA43, maybe a little less but not much less. Definitely not the f11 some were claiming

f8 is very usable - I shoot a lot of pictures at f8 on my FA43.

The K10D still wins by having both front and rear dials (the Q is like the lower end cameras by only having rear dial).

However, in other respects, the Q wins over the K10D. It's small enough for me to mount on my bicycle or carry in a handbag.

And I'm guessing (from the sample pictures) the AF on the Q is a LOT better than the K10D (but that's not hard to achieve!). Also wins in continuous fps.
Okay. I s'pose those with K10D should toss em away for the Q !
07-19-2011, 06:49 AM   #753

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jackseh Quote
Okay. I s'pose those with K10D should toss em away for the Q !
... when a person gets to a certain age and can no longer raise their hand above their head, it's good to use a tiny camera weighs nothing. Have to catch those priceless great-grand kiddie moments; they just don't come around more than once in a lifetime.

Take that Ansel Adams.
07-19-2011, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #754
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
People are taking this all too seriously.
I suppose maybe those in shock and awe of the might Q are taking it serious. I myself can't get over a Porsche with a lawn mower engine (15 hp Briggs).

darkside

07-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #755
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
These high iso images from the Q are better than my K200D... (no kidding, i hesitate to write "far better)
I don't care of bokeh, i have my K-5 for bokeh.
That little camera looks really fun to use, with a good image quality.
I'm pretty sure than even if the Q shares a lot of specifications with some P&S, lenses gonna make the difference.
But it's still too expensive for the moment, if the price lower to 500€, it could be my nexy favorite toy.
Still waiting for final firmware & a serious test.
I agree with you.

Bokeh = the lens seems to have good bokeh, but high DOF limits how realisable the bokeh is (without resorting to BC mode which doesn't always work). But it's a standard prime, even on a film camera I don't have high expectations of getting good bokeh from a standard prime, a telephoto is what most film photographers use for bokeh.

As to whether the Q is better than a similar compact camera, hard to say. Yes, the lenses will make a difference, and part of the attraction of purchasing a Q. We know from the sample photos the image quality is acceptable compared to previous generation DSLRs (eg. K10D) - that's all that matters to me.

As for price, I would have to agree that 500 Euro for such a camera seems high. However, the question is: how much are you willing to pay for a camera the size of a compact with interchangeable lenses? I would be willing to pay a premium.

To put it in perspective. Here in Australia, the expected retail price for the Q is A$799. The Sony HS7v is A$499. Canon S95 is A$599. The premium doesn't seem to be all that significant, and I'm pretty sure once the camera is released I can go to my camera store and get them to take $50-100 off the RRP, just like for any other camera.

To put it in a different perspective, every day I show up for work I earn enough money to buy two Qs. The price of the Q is probably insignificant compared to how much fun playing around with interchangeable lenses on a camera that size will give me. And if I get tired of it, I can always sell it or give it to someone else. The Q will be a great camera to give to a kid to learn photography - I know a talented 8 year old who would love a camera like that. She recently showed me her "portfolio" - images she took on her mobile phone that she converted to a Powerpoint slide show complete with borders and transition effects - that kid has real talent that should be nurtured.
07-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #756
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I agree with you.

. . .
Yes, the lenses will make a difference, and part of the attraction of purchasing a Q. We know from the sample photos the image quality is acceptable compared to previous generation DSLRs (eg. K10D) - that's all that matters to me.

. . .
Hysterical

laugh
07-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #757
Pentaxian

I want to see RAW files, no JPEG stuff. I don't know about you, but my own JPEGs, the ones I have developed from the DNG's, are way better than the Out-Of-Camera JPEGs. Only then I'll know what the Q is capable of.

07-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #758
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I want to see RAW files, no JPEG stuff. I don't know about you, but my own JPEGs, the ones I have developed from the DNG's, are way better than the Out-Of-Camera JPEGs. Only then I'll know what the Q is capable of.
Couldn't agree with you more!
07-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #759

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I suppose maybe those in shock and awe of the might Q are taking it serious. I myself can't get over a Porsche with a lawn mower engine (15 hp Briggs).

:darkside:
At this age, I am not so sure what to take seriously anymore.

Heck, I'll take a Porsche with a lawn mower engine so I can drive it to the bus station everyday.
07-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #760
Veteran Member

Gilligaaaaan!!!

Follow-up: I've forgotten how much fun Gilligan's Island is. And that professor really is under-appreciated, the stuff he made!

Edit: I've just learned that there was some sort of Gilligan's Island remake in the works. Sacrilege. I hope it doesn't see the light of day. You can't re-do 'stupid TV' without just getting more stupid, while losing the charm.

07-19-2011, 10:48 PM   #761
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
:Hysterical:

:laugh:
I have the same emotions
07-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #762
Veteran Member

@christine - I'm really finding it hard to take your comments seriously

K10D usable only at ISO 100?? - below is a shot taken by my young son of his girlfriend but with settings that would have produced an unusable photo by your admission F22, 1/250, ISO 1000

Show me a dinky sensor that can do with the same IQ

How old is the K10D??
07-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #763
Veteran Member

I will agree a p&s has it's place especially for nice memory shots where it's not practical to take a dslr e.g. elegant restaurant

Taken (my grandkids)with the so called soft Sony HX5v (sharpened for printing) - made a lovely 8x10

If you see the pic printed you will be hard pressed to see if that it was taken with a small sensor

07-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #764
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
K10D usable only at ISO 100?? - below is a shot taken by my young son of his girlfriend but with settings that would have produced an unusable photo by your admission F22, 1/250, ISO 1000
The problem I always had with my K10D was not high ISO in good light (most any DSLR can do that), but it was high ISO in low light (when you really need high ISO). It just produced horrible vertical color banding. The Q looks splotchy and soft at ISO800 in low light, but I can live with that. Noise reduction software is pretty good about dealing with that sort of thing, but I had a few images with my K10d totally ruined by vertical noise stripes running down the entire image in the shadow areas.

That said, from ISO100 up to 800 I don't know how anyone could choose the Q over the K10D from an overall IQ perspective. I've seen nothing from the Q's sample images that couldn't easily be produced from a K10D. However, on the flip side, could the Q produce an image of this quality?

[image removed]

Let's just say I have my doubts the Q can do that.

Last edited by Art Vandelay II; 07-25-2011 at 01:31 PM.
07-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #765
Banned

Photos: Albums
Not an amazing shot, but here's another K10D shot in low light (f/2 ISO 800 1/60):

It's taken with the Jupiter-9 - that's the reason for the softness, in case anyone is wondering.