Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #961
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mock, any ideas when we'll see the toy lenses? I am intrigued by these and hoping to buy a Q with the fish eye and the toy lenses.

I bought a Sony DSC-HX7V to play around with until the Q is released. Judging by the picture quality and the (surprising) usability of the HX7V, the Q should be a very fun camera.

08-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #962
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Mock, any ideas when we'll see the toy lenses? I am intrigued by these and hoping to buy a Q with the fish eye and the toy lenses.

I bought a Sony DSC-HX7V to play around with until the Q is released. Judging by the picture quality and the (surprising) usability of the HX7V, the Q should be a very fun camera.
As far as I know, they will be available when the camera launches (mid-late September in NA), I didn't think to ask.
The rep did mention that they are only bundling the camera with the 01 Prime lens in order to get people to buy other lenses - to think more creatively about what they're shooting. If that is actually the goal, then the lenses should be available out of the gate...I just wonder why nobody (AFAIK) has been able to try one yet.

Maybe they're not available, or maybe Pentax doesn't want leaked images taken with toy lenses representing the IQ of their camera before it's out?

Last edited by Mock; 08-15-2011 at 03:58 PM.
08-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #963
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
There were 100% crops from a centre area, and a corner area with text. The XZ-1 example was garbage (in the corner), the Q was legible. This is how I know the 8.5 is sharp in the corners...
Is the aperture comparable? I remember the XZ-1 is supposed to have a large aperture (for this kind of camera), so perhaps it's much better stopped down to a aperture similar to what the Q can offer?
08-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #964
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PhilippeG Quote
Is the aperture comparable? I remember the XZ-1 is supposed to have a large aperture (for this kind of camera), so perhaps it's much better stopped down to a aperture similar to what the Q can offer?
I tried it out just now, the maximum aperture on the XZ-1 at approximately 50mm equivalent is F/2. This is close enough to the F/1.9 of the 8.5mm lens for a pretty direct comparison.
I don't know what aperture value was used in the test scene.

08-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #965
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
They were printed samples, I have no reason to believe they were falsified. The Q wasn't given any obvious upper-hand. There were 100% crops from a centre area, and a corner area with text. The XZ-1 example was garbage (in the corner), the Q was legible. This is how I know the 8.5 is sharp in the corners...
Good marketing work, but this won't help... Pentax Q is just gimmick. I think it will have not bad sale in Japan. For some time. And it's all. No any chances to compete with high-end compact cameras or with m4/3. It's new niche of P&S camera with interchangeable lenses. Rather odd and rather marginal.
I have no any interest to such products, because of small sensor, IQ and dust problems. It could be not bad product in other aspects, but it's three year late. IMO.
08-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #966

If you have no interest, then why the CONSTANT spamming in this thread?
08-15-2011, 11:02 PM   #967
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by noons Quote
If you have no interest, then why the CONSTANT spamming in this thread?
It's your opinion. I'm free to pass my opinion. I write very rarely here.

08-15-2011, 11:34 PM   #968
Veteran Member

V1.0 firmware production Q's are probably already in the hands of dpreview, imaging resource and all the other reviewers around the world. I bet it won't be long now before real Q RAW and JPG's start to trickle out.

I certainly look forward to seeing how the new sensor performs.
08-16-2011, 12:02 AM   #969
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's your opinion. I'm free to pass my opinion. I write very rarely here.
76 posts in this thread alone, for a camera that doesn't interest you. I'd hate to see your participation in threads about cameras you like!
08-16-2011, 12:24 AM   #970
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
76 posts in this thread alone, for a camera that doesn't interest you. I'd hate to see your participation in threads about cameras you like!
No any sense to write about what I like. It's silly. I like it and it's all. No need any words.

It's more sense to criticize the product which weak and strange.

And it's rather strange to count my posts. By the way, if it's true - 76 posts is just 7.8% of all answers here.

Last edited by ogl; 08-16-2011 at 12:34 AM.
08-16-2011, 01:49 AM   #971
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Good marketing work, but this won't help... Pentax Q is just gimmick. I think it will have not bad sale in Japan. For some time. And it's all. No any chances to compete with high-end compact cameras or with m4/3. It's new niche of P&S camera with interchangeable lenses. Rather odd and rather marginal.
I have no any interest to such products, because of small sensor, IQ and dust problems. It could be not bad product in other aspects, but it's three year late. IMO.
Pentax Q is no more gimmick than m43 system or NEX system that promises to be compact are really not compact. With m43 the IQ is similar to Q system and it is not pocket-able (with more than 90% of its lenses).

With Q one has truly compact system with interchangeable lenses. Among all these mirrorless system Q is least gimmicky.

IQ of Q looks to be on par with m43 system's IQ, thanks to BL sensors of Sony.

---------------------------------
Here is something interesting:

08-16-2011, 04:06 AM   #972
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
IQ of Q looks to be on par with m43 system's IQ, thanks to BL sensors of Sony.
I sincerely doubt that it will be even close to m43. But if it's at least as good as e.g. LX5, it may still be a very good camera with some interesting lens options. But for my daughter who seeks a more serious camera than her Optio W80 but thinks DSLRs are too bulky, I'd still recommend m43 over Q. I don't think she will be satisfied with the Q, and so far it's very expensive too.
08-16-2011, 04:25 AM   #973
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I sincerely doubt that it will be even close to m43. But if it's at least as good as e.g. LX5, it may still be a very good camera with some interesting lens options. But for my daughter who seeks a more serious camera than her Optio W80 but thinks DSLRs are too bulky, I'd still recommend m43 over Q. I don't think she will be satisfied with the Q, and so far it's very expensive too.
I am sure the price will drop quickly and also that Pentax will release a cheaper body in the same system within a few months.
08-16-2011, 05:36 AM   #974
Veteran Member

I sincerely doubt that it will be even close to m43.
so far it's very expensive too.
We'll have to wait until the DxO measurements are done. I expect a performance closer to a LX5 too. However, m43 isn't impossible to beat with respect to dynamic range because of the much outdated sensor technology used by that system now. Low light noise will remain better with m43 though.

BTW, DxO indicative price for the Q is interesting: USD 250 !
-> DxOMark - Pentax Q

Addendum:
The Sony DSC-TX9 camera has an 1/2.3 Exmor R 12.3 MP ISO 125 sensor too and so I suspect it to be the same sensor. Using imaging-resource's comparometer ( http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM ) and comparing the TX9 and a PEN-EPL3 (12MP too), then the PEN roughly has a two stop advantage. From the tiny sensor alone, it should be 3 stops (crop 5.5 vs. crop 2). The Q may have 1 stop faster lenses (for a given size and budget) but it seems to remain about 1 stop advantage for the m43 systems.

Last edited by falconeye; 08-16-2011 at 06:19 AM.
08-16-2011, 06:00 AM   #975
Veteran Member

I was responding to someone who was making statements without any base.

I also think it might be just short of m43 but m43 is no yard stick, it shall be good enough that its user is happy. Thats all counts in the end.