Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 110 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #1021
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Get in line @ B&H! Pre-order...

pentax q

The intervalometer, high-speed flash sync, HD video, image stabilization, and lens choices make this an interesting option for First-Person shooting...
Why just B&H.There are plenty of other Camera retailers that deserve business.

08-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #1022
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Saying a slr size camera is useless for street photography is absolute HOGWASH. Years ago Mary Ellen Mark & Bruce Davidson visited our university, and both had large 35mm cameras. Not to mention all the wonderful work done with Contax and Leica rangefinders.
I still use my 35mm film cameras myself. In the last few years alone I've shot with a Nikon FE2, Pentax LX, and a Voigtlander Bessa R3A at one time or another...but sadly when we made the digital switch manufactures seemed to forget that many of us preferred small SLR's such as the Pentax ME Super and then proceeded to make nothing but large bulbous DSLR's for almost a decade. My first DSLR was a Pentax K100D because it was the smallest thing I could find at the time, but it had a horrible view finder (felt like I had tunnel vision compared to a even a cheap film SLR such as a Pentax K1000). Olympus started making the E-4XX series about that time, and they were quite small, but their viewfinders were even worse. It wasn't until the advent of m4/3's that I felt we had a true digital street shooter too fill the void left by film cameras like the ME and Olympus OM series (unless you were one of the few that could afford/justify a Leica M8).

In fact the live view systems on CSC's is why I said they are indeed better than DSLR's at street (and better than film SLR's also). I sat on a park bench in central park and took this pic of a man reading his paper without him even noticing I was doing it. I took this pic of a man drinking his morning coffee 90 degrees around a corner. Outside of the new Sony translucent mirror DSLR's the live view systems on every DSLR I've tried have been so painfully slow I haven't bothered using them. So to get shots like that you had to just use the force and point the camera without looking through the viewfinder.

Kind of off topic, but apparently Fuji is about to announce a $600 Fuji X10 with a 4x f/2 zoom, 2/3's size sensor, and Fuji X100 build quality for $600? Will be interesting to see how that compares to the Q. Not interchangeable lenses obviously, but I imagine a good number of street photographers will be highly interested; I know I am.
08-24-2011, 06:44 AM   #1023
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
m43 and NEX are only pocketable with pancakes attached.
And now they have a pancake zoom:

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-hot-image-leak-panasonic-new-14-42mm-is-a-pancake/
08-24-2011, 07:45 AM   #1024
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
That is seriously sexy. Almost as amazing as DA 40.

08-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #1025

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still use my 35mm film cameras myself. In the last few years alone I've shot with a Nikon FE2, Pentax LX, and a Voigtlander Bessa R3A at one time or another...but sadly when we made the digital switch manufactures seemed to forget that many of us preferred small SLR's such as the Pentax ME Super and then proceeded to make nothing but large bulbous DSLR's for almost a decade. My first DSLR was a Pentax K100D because it was the smallest thing I could find at the time, but it had a horrible view finder (felt like I had tunnel vision compared to a even a cheap film SLR such as a Pentax K1000). Olympus started making the E-4XX series about that time, and they were quite small, but their viewfinders were even worse. It wasn't until the advent of m4/3's that I felt we had a true digital street shooter too fill the void left by film cameras like the ME and Olympus OM series (unless you were one of the few that could afford/justify a Leica M8).

In fact the live view systems on CSC's is why I said they are indeed better than DSLR's at street (and better than film SLR's also). I sat on a park bench in central park and took this pic of a man reading his paper without him even noticing I was doing it. I took this pic of a man drinking his morning coffee 90 degrees around a corner. Outside of the new Sony translucent mirror DSLR's the live view systems on every DSLR I've tried have been so painfully slow I haven't bothered using them. So to get shots like that you had to just use the force and point the camera without looking through the viewfinder.

Kind of off topic, but apparently Fuji is about to announce a $600 Fuji X10 with a 4x f/2 zoom, 2/3's size sensor, and Fuji X100 build quality for $600? Will be interesting to see how that compares to the Q. Not interchangeable lenses obviously, but I imagine a good number of street photographers will be highly interested; I know I am.
I stopped using my ME Super years ago. I too missed the large view finder when cameras like my Fuji S5000 was used but I adjusted to them. The S1500 and S1000fd have nice EVF finders. On the D-slr front I bought the Pentax K-m due to its price and size. The view finder is smaller then the older film cameras but after using it I also got it as well.

I think that the small Q will find its place with seroius users. It has the some of the features of the D-slr in a smaller package. I like using all types of cameras and welcome the design of the Q. With models like the X10 by Fuji coming out, that market will grow. Small cameras are nicer to carry around then a bulky D-slr. I looked at your two pictures you had links to. They are very nice.

I think that there always be a learning curve on new camera models coming out. Some designs will be improvements, others a step backwards. I think that your experience as a photographer overcomes the cameras designs that are created. When it comes down to the bottom line, they all basicly work the same. It is just a learning curve on the details of there operating systems you have to learn. Just be glad you can find small new details to learn and maybe get something new out of a newer compact camera. I have been a bit surprised by some of my images I have created with simple digital cameras I own.

Last edited by stevbike; 08-24-2011 at 05:27 PM.
08-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #1026
Veteran Member

GF3/pancake zoom at a competitive price
+
palette after palette delivered to Best Buy
=
A big year for Panasonic.
08-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #1027
Veteran Member

now imagine the possibilities with ultra smaller sensor of Q.

08-26-2011, 01:50 AM   #1028
ogl
Banned

Pentax Q - K mount adapter
08-26-2011, 02:13 AM   #1029
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

FOV equivalent to 200mm approx. When keeping that in mind, it is not that big

Put on a FA77/1.8 and you get a nice compact super-tele combo for casual wild life photography on treck.
08-26-2011, 05:33 AM   #1030
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
FOV equivalent to 200mm approx. When keeping that in mind, it is not that big

Put on a FA77/1.8 and you get a nice compact super-tele combo for casual wild life photography on treck.
~ 224 mm/f16 equiv. for FF.

FA77/1.8 ~ 430 mm/f10

FA50/1.4 ~ 280 mm/f8

hard to say that such adapter has any serious sense. just for fun IMO.
08-26-2011, 07:06 AM   #1031
Pentaxian

Very nice !

Any information re. parameter transmission ?

Visibly the 0 to 7 numbers could indicate the F-Stop positions, if this adapter has an aperture ring ?
08-26-2011, 07:44 AM   #1032
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Very nice !

Visibly the 0 to 7 numbers could indicate the F-Stop positions, if this adapter has an aperture ring ?
Can you explain the practical side of such adapter?
08-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #1033
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Very nice !

I think it could, if the 0 setting is wide open, and assuming the numbers correspond to full stops, then a f/1.4 lens (fastest of DA) can stop down all the way to f/16.
However, isn't it odd to allow the adapter to stop down so much if the camera is diffraction limited at f/8, or am I missing something?
We'll have to wait for some more information I guess, maybe find some engrish article.
08-26-2011, 09:00 AM   #1034
Site Supporter

Can you explain the practical side of such adapter?
If it is like my m4/3 adapter, it allows the manual control of the aperture with DA ltd lenses.
08-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #1035
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Why just B&H.There are plenty of other Camera retailers that deserve business.
Many of us living in areas that lack retailers use BH and Adorama due to their competitive pricing and customer service. My only option in the Capital of Florida is Bad Buy.