Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2011, 09:23 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't say Pentax "Q" in French ... "Q" = "cul" = "A--"

"Bonjour", Here's maybe another one of those "Don't do this" product name scenarios for you ... Unfortunately, "Q" is not the best possible name for France and the francophone markets ... "Q" is a homonym for the French word "cul" ... which means "backside, bum, arse, ass, butt", etc. It's the same French prononciation ... "Q" sounds like "cul"! Also, let's hope that everyone doesn't start referring to the mount system for this camera as "PQ" (short for Pentax Q mount obviously) ... since "PQ" is short for "papier cul" ... which is toilet paper.

Did anyone run this product name idea through the various corporate channels for verification and/or comment? I'm guessing the maybe the James Bond films inspired the Pentax product name of "Q" ... remember the character who created all those small "spy" gadgets for 007 (maybe more emphasis should be given to the term "gadget" here ...) So to close, if you ever find yourself in France someday, be forewarned that saying the following could get you in trouble ... "Excuse me, that's a nice little Q you have there." Enough said ... "Salut et bonne journée!"

06-25-2011, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm French Canadian, and I think it good be a GREAT pickup line if the female holder of the camera is hot
06-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, Pentax has quite a disastrous history of model names in French:
- K2000 was the French title of Knight Rider...
- K7 sounds exactly like "cassette", which drew several jibes from my Canikonians friends asking me if my camera took Betamax or VHS tapes...
- "*ist" was an international failure thanks to its unknown pronunciation and internet nightmare...

And now that...
06-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Pride parades should sell a lot of the "Q" systems ...just saying

06-25-2011, 01:00 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
I'm guessing the maybe the James Bond films inspired the Pentax product name of "Q" ..
Q=Queen, if you don't want to read up on the history of the K(ing) mount you can just look at the ad on pentaximaging.com. what card do you see the Q hiding behind?

Also: +1 on the pickup line!
06-25-2011, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

"Nice little Q you got there!"

SMACK!

"Your camera! Your camera!"
06-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I cannot believe this. What a travesty. How inconsiderate.

06-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
"Nice little Q you got there!"

SMACK!

"Your camera! Your camera!"

06-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

egregious camera naming blooper, I speak a bit of french myself and I was always curious of how pentax cameras were perceived in western countries.
06-26-2011, 06:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

International product branding is a minefield & Japanese quite often get it a bit wrong

the car companies spring to my mind.

Mistubishi "Starion" (turbo sports coupe) - was meant to be "Stallion" (the smaller model was a Colt)

Mitsubishi " Pajero" - means wannker (playing with your own straw) in Spanish, so they renamed it "Montero" for Spain & South America

A Swedish guy I was working with a couple of years ago had much amusement when Honda made the "Fitta" & in the Philippines we also found a brand of savoury cream filled biscuit also called "Fita" - this a slang term in Swedish for errr.... ladies parts..

Toyota released the MR2 which in French would be pronounced emm-err-deux = merde. (sh!t)
06-26-2011, 07:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I think the trick here will be pronounce the letter in English rather than French. Just like they did with the Q in Star Trek(remember?).
06-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I can't recall ever seeing any Sierra Mist soda available in Germany, either
06-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I can't recall ever seeing any Sierra Mist soda available in Germany, either

Reminds me of someone at my college way back when telling a friend in Germany about his (local) fraternity--KOT.

(For those who do not speak German, Mist and Kot both mean excrement)
06-27-2011, 01:35 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope that the next DSLR won't be called K-6 (cassis, blackcurrant in french)...
06-27-2011, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Well, there is still some cheesy names available in French:
- K-c : "cassé" means "broken"...
- K-k : "caca" means "poo"...

But I'm sure they will surprise us...