Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2011, 05:33 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
real trash
One set of playing around snapshots. It's too early to make the call on this.

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
if this is all you can do with a Q with adapter and tele, it's not worth it - I get better results from 100% crops from my K10D.
I expect that in time better results will come as the KQ adapter, and the Q itself, gets into the hands of more people.

If you can fill the frame with your subject, thanks to the tele reach enabled by the KQ adapter, and the Q sensor delivers decent enough resolution, DR, noise etc, as it appears to do from the TechRadar tests, the results from the Q could indeed be OK. There is room for optimism.

There is very little possibility that a heavy crop from a K10D will better a well-shot, frame-filling Q image. All cameras suffer IQ degradation under heavy crop, and the K10D isn't immune from this. I know my K-x shots suffer a lot under heavy crop, no matter how technically well they may have been shot.

09-05-2011, 06:28 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I expect that in time better results will come as the KQ adapter, and the Q itself, gets into the hands of more people.
I think so too - thus my qualifier ("if this is all you can do...").
09-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #48

The shots with the FA 645 400mm are a good start, if that is the IQ one can get at 2200+mm equivalent on an overcast day, I'm in. White balance on the pigeon is off, and it was moving, 1/100s shutter speed didn't freeze it. There is lots of room for improvement.
As for the Kingfisher, that is the type of shot which I would keep merely to say: "I saw a Kingfisher" After that shot I would move closer to it and get the real keepers.

Last edited by Mock; 09-05-2011 at 09:10 AM.
09-06-2011, 06:57 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Pentax Q+smc Pentax M*800mm f6.7 ED

I don't even want to think about what that focal length on the Q means in 35mm terms.

09-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
DC Watch reviews Q

PENTAX Q - デジカメWatch

Still pretty bumpy translation with google. Can a brother/sister Pentaxian knowledgeable in Japanese kindly state the points of the review?
09-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
PENTAX Q - デジカメWatch

Still pretty bumpy translation with google. Can a brother/sister Pentaxian knowledgeable in Japanese kindly state the points of the review?
Was there anything specific you wanted translated? I think the pictures pretty much tell the story - first set of pictures was comparing the image quality at various ISO and noise reduction setting, second set was comparing different settings of the background blur control, the third various settings for digital filters, next smart effects etc. It helps a lot if you can read Katakana (which is relatively easy to master), but even if you don't you can guess from the pictures.

the most interesting thing for me was discovering that the Q with the double lens kit (both standard prime and the zoom) will be coming out on 15 September in Japan.
09-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Pentax Q+smc Pentax M*800mm f6.7 ED

I don't even want to think about what that focal length on the Q means in 35mm terms.
M*800/6,7 ED ??

Someone having a picture of this lens so that Bojidar Dimitrov could list it in his database.
09-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
M*800/6,7 ED ??

Someone having a picture of this lens so that Bojidar Dimitrov could list it in his database.
It is not a K mount lens, it is a Pentax 67 lens: smc PENTAX-M* 67 1:6.7 800mm ED [IF]

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-M-Star-67-800mm-F6.7-Lens.html

09-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Image from of Nkenji :

For the kind of utilisation i expect form that camera, it's far good enough... Far better than any compact i've ever use.

But 450, the Q + Standard 01, that's the price i would pay, no more.
09-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #55
Veteran Member

that shot of the moon, though it is not perfect, is pretty great.
09-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
that shot of the moon, though it is not perfect, is pretty great.
Especially for 4400mm focal length, in 35mm equiv terms.
09-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #57
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
Image from of Nkenji :

For the kind of utilisation i expect form that camera, it's far good enough... Far better than any compact i've ever use.

But 450€, the Q + Standard 01, that's the price i would pay, no more.
Be honest.
As 3 MP size is good. But not full-size. Level of any high-end compact.

Last edited by ogl; 09-06-2011 at 09:15 PM.
09-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Before you get too excited... :)

QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
Image from of Nkenji :

Here's the 'original' upload, from that link - judge for yourself. I see color issues, sky posterization, and mushiness, but maybe I'm living in the high-standards ghetto

QuoteQuote:
But 450€, the Q + Standard 01, that's the price i would pay, no more.

^ The standard refrain, I'm afraid. Even the Hello-Kitty set in Japan isn't completely immune to it.

I think the 'Q' could supplement that market with some actual photographers and general consumer/comparison shoppers if they introduced some truly nice lenses, though, but if Pentax is still working under a tight budget within Ricoh, that would sap resources that could go toward SDM replacement, zippy-reliable phase-detect AF module, new aps-c lenses, etc.

And I'm afraid the 'Q success lifts all boats' argument is just as likely to sour into 'Q success means more Q' at Ricoh/Pentax if the wrong folks there take the wrong message and read the wrong tea leaves. Sometimes a minor success can lead to bad, hasty, "safe" decisions that only show their true nature in hindsight - after it's too late.

Last edited by jsherman999; 09-07-2011 at 11:36 PM.
09-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Level of any high-end compact.
You are going soft on the Q, ogl. Not long ago you were calling it a horrible point-and-shoot. Now it's a 'high-end compact'

Some of the test photos in the recent DCWatch review of the Q look OK, even as ISO 1600 JPG's, I think. Reasonable detail preservation, colour fidelity etc:

I'm not sure my K200D could do much better, tbh. Resolution falls away fast with the K200D above 800 ISO.
09-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
PENTAX Q - デジカメWatch

Double lens kit with a body (prime and zoom) for about 70,000 yen. With the exchange rate being what it is (~74 yen to a dollar), it approaches $1,000 US.

The reviewer in the said that before handling it, he assumed that the camera will be nothing more than an extension of a toy camera; however, after handling it, he felt that the camera felt very much "complete." For most situations the shooting was stress-free with high IQ, along with many effects. It is small enough to fit in your pocket, allowing you to carry without a camera bag, and the reviewer thought that you are more likely to expand your shooting opportunities.

He suggests carrying an extra battery, because the one used for Q is much like that of P and S, especially if you are out on the road.