(2)

Both from Vitaliy Glushchenko's flickr.

09-13-2011, 03:15 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Another Ukrainian Q shooter!

A quick test: pick the shot done with the Q and the one done with a 645D:
Now that was too easy. But I like the colors of the Q shot.

The Q could turn out to be a great camera both for serious street photography and for casual family "snappers" who also don't require shallow DoF. In fact I think a lot of P&S upgraders to DSLR (or large sensor mirrorless) are struggling with the low DoF they get even with slow kit lenses. Focus isn't really that easy, even with good AF systems. Some "mums and dads" upgrade to larger cameras because they want to shoot nice shallow DoF portraits, but just as many - I think (and I've talked to some) - because they're frustrated by the quality their cell phones and P&S cameras provide at indoor events with their kids (Christmas at home, theatre at school, indoor sports etc.). To those people, good IQ in terms of exposure and color rendering and decent low light capabilities is more important than "dreamy bokeh".
09-13-2011, 04:30 AM   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A fast pancake at acceptable price and lowered Q price would get me interested (somewhat)
09-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I wish we had usage stats in the rest of the world like Japan has. Flickr and Amazon sales ranks are about the best we have in North America, but neither are exactly what I would call evidence.
Another rank (of the kind of Amazon) is the geizhals.at list ranked by number of accesses. As it is a major price comparison tool in Germany aggregating many vendors incl. Amazon, it is a good evidence for buyers interest.

After all, each access raises a fee with a participating dealers which means the access statistics is significant.

Currently, the first entries in the system camera segment are:
  1. Canon EOS 5D Mark II
  2. Nikon D7000 (SLR) Gehäuse (VBA290AE)
  3. Canon EOS 600D (SLR) mit Objektiv EF-S 18-55mm
  4. Canon EOS 7D (SLR) Gehäuse (3814B023)
  5. Canon EOS 60D (SLR) Gehäuse (4460B034)
  6. Canon EOS 600D (SLR) Gehäuse (5170B017)
  7. Pentax K-5 (SLR) Gehäuse (14747)
  8. Nikon D5100 (SLR) Gehäuse (VBA310AE)
  9. Canon EOS 550D (SLR) mit Objektiv EF-S 18-55mm
  10. Sony Alpha 77 (EVIL) Gehäuse (SLT-A77V)
  11. Sony Alpha NEX-5N (EVIL) schwarz mit Objektiv AF E
  12. Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3K (EVIL) schwarz
  13. Canon EOS 550D (SLR) Gehäuse (4463B017)
  14. Canon EOS 600D (SLR) mit Objektiv EF-S 18-135mm
  15. Nikon D5100 (SLR) mit Objektiv AF-S VR DX 18-55mm 3.5-5.6G
  16. Nikon D700 (SLR) Gehäuse (VBA220AE)
  17. Sony Alpha 65 (EVIL) Gehäuse (SLT-A65V)
  18. Nikon D90 (SLR) Gehäuse (VBA230AE)
  19. Nikon D5100 (SLR) mit Objektiv AF-S VR DX
  20. Pentax K-5 (SLR) mit Objektiv DA 18-55mm WR
  21. Sony Alpha NEX-5N (EVIL) schwarz mit Objektiv AF E 16mm
  22. Nikon D7000 (SLR) mit Objektiv AF-S VR DX
  23. Nikon D3100 (SLR) schwarz mit Objektiv AF-S VR DX 18-55mm
  24. Sony Alpha NEX-7 (EVIL) schwarz mit Objektiv AF E 18-55mm
  25. Sony Alpha 77 (EVIL) mit Objektiv AF 16-50mm 2.8 DT SSM
  26. Canon EOS 1D Mark IV (SLR) Gehäuse (3822B010)
Enjoy the list,
Falk

09-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Currently, the first entries in the system camera segment are:
Interesting. But given the rank of the listed cameras (and the absence of not only the K-r but also some other budget cameras), it seems to be somewhat too skewed in the "enthusiast" direction to be usable as a real sales ranking.
09-13-2011, 09:24 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Interesting. But given the rank of the listed cameras (and the absence of not only the K-r but also some other budget cameras), it seems to be somewhat too skewed in the "enthusiast" direction to be usable as a real sales ranking.
Maybe. But then this is the bias of internet-savvy customers. The same should apply to Amazon and Fickr rankings.
A majority of people still seem to walk into shops...
09-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Another Ukrainian Q shooter!

A quick test: pick the shot done with the Q and the one done with a 645D:
(1)

(2)
Ah that's easy, just going by the reaction of the model. In the first one, she feels threatened by the big camera. In the second, she is like "are you kidding me?"

09-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
A fast pancake at acceptable price and lowered Q price would get me interested (somewhat)
Yeah I don't quite understand how they can sell at this price. It's more expensive than a NEX 5N.
09-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Ah that's easy, just going by the reaction of the model. In the first one, she feels threatened by the big camera. In the second, she is like "are you kidding me?"
Excellent !
09-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #100
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Yeah I don't quite understand how they can sell at this price. It's more expensive than a NEX 5N.
compare the prices for NEX lenses and Q lenses. people seem to miss that part
Q is rather cheap for a small system if you get 2+ lenses
09-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
That's a very good point - people do react to the camera.

I discovered I get "better" photos with my Hello Kitty K-5 than a "normal" SLR. People seem to react more positively to it.

Also, when I ask for permission to take a photo, people are far more likely to say yes. I only realised this when a friend of mine asked to take a photo on a Canon, and was immediately refused. I asked the same question a minute later, and the response was "Sure, why not?" After that my friend said I should do all the asking from now on.

Lately I have been shooting with my Sony HX7V and it's like people don't care - they look at a compact camera and they immediately think "tourist" rather than "journalist"

I want to buy a small compact MILF and now I can't decide between the Q, the GF3 and the Nikon mirrorless. I still like the Q, but the prices for the GF3 are incredibly good at the moment (some places are selling the twin lens kit for around $550) and the new Nikon sounds intriguing.
09-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
Meh, the 5-15mm lens is $300. The cheap lenses are fixed aperture niche lenses. The Q is cool, but I would want to pay $300 plus lenses max, and I could buy into a Samsung NX for around that with better lenses and image quality. As for the NEX you can hook up just about anything with an adapter and it has only a 1.5x crop. You could be shooting Taks or Zeiss cheaper than a new Q lens. Size is the Q's advantage not cost.
09-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
Good point. That idea of changing lenses to match the scene may catch on.
09-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I discovered I get "better" photos with my Hello Kitty K-5 than a "normal" SLR. People seem to react more positively to it.

Also, when I ask for permission to take a photo, people are far more likely to say yes. I only realised this when a friend of mine asked to take a photo on a Canon, and was immediately refused. I asked the same question a minute later, and the response was "Sure, why not?" After that my friend said I should do all the asking from now on.
Being a woman surely also helps. That being said I'm trying to customize my K-5 to get better shots of kids, some sort of gizmo to put on the hot shoe. That makes them laugh in front of the camera and they look in the right direction... I had to laugh at your Hello Kitty thread and especially the men's reactions.
09-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
...I want to buy a small compact MILF
!

I think that acronym needs some rework before it enters the wild.