Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
How is the manual focus interface?
What I mean is how well are the focusing aids for MF.

Eg.
1. Selectable zoom magnification?
2. Zoom in box that is super imposed over main view?
3. Auto zoom in or zoom in at the touch of a button?
4. Focus Peaking like NEX?

Thanks
Zoom is 2x or 4x.
Zoom fills the entire screen. There is a thumbnail that shows your position within the whole image.
It zooms in when you twist the q mount lens. Screen indicates if your focus direction is getting closer or farther. I have found no way to activate otherwise.
No focus peaking.

09-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
Zoom is 2x or 4x.
Zoom fills the entire screen. There is a thumbnail that shows your position within the whole image.
It zooms in when you twist the q mount lens. Screen indicates if your focus direction is getting closer or farther. I have found no way to activate otherwise.
No focus peaking.
Thanks for the info.

It does not seen to be one of the newer/better ways that is out there.
(Eg. Nex, GXR)
Though I think x2 zoom should not be too bad a balance between accuracy and composition.
09-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

With jpg, you can shoot 1 shot per second indefinitely with no problem. With RAW, you can shoot 3 frames at 1 frame per second. After that it's down to about 2 seconds between shots.
Hi devorama,

Thanks for the quick reply. That should work for me --

Scott
09-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What about manual controls in video? Can you confirm this blog post and give more details about this feature?

--DragonLord

09-11-2011, 11:30 PM   #20
Forum Member

Would be really interested to see how a Q will do with a adapter to something like 100mm Macro. How close it will be to a real 200* +2x converter in a APS body? If it turns out to be positive, I would begin to save money for a Q for right now!

Feishui
09-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
What about manual controls in video? Can you confirm this blog post and give more details about this feature?

--DragonLord
I can confirm that manual control of video does work. You set the exposure before you start recording and it stays at that setting. I took two time lapse sunset videos this weekend. One with auto exposure and one with manual. The manual one gets dark real fast once the sun sets. But the auto one adjusted itself and you can see all the shifting colors of twilight. I'll upload those soon.
09-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Congrats on that nice little camera. It would be nice to see just some real live pictures.

How big are those files that processing and writing take so long?

Okay, I'm processing some comparison pics and I realized that while the JPEG files are about 2.5 to 3.5MB in size, the corresponding DNG raw files are 20 to 21MB in size! I thought they'd be smaller with only 12megapixels. So I guess that's why the buffer fills so fast. Maybe they're not compressed at all?

09-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Zoom is 2x or 4x.
No focus peaking.
Page 93 of the manual suggests that the magnified live-view can be activated by either turning the manual focus ring (on a Q-mount lens) or pressing the OK button. Does the OK button method work without a lens on?
09-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Okay, I'm processing some comparison pics and I realized that while the JPEG files are about 2.5 to 3.5MB in size, the corresponding DNG raw files are 20 to 21MB in size! I thought they'd be smaller with only 12megapixels. So I guess that's why the buffer fills so fast. Maybe they're not compressed at all?
Ned in his blog stated that the DNG file is uncompressed. He also stated that There need to be an Adobe update for the DNG file out of the Q. Might has something to do with lens correction information in the file. He recommended the software (latest Pentax vesrion of Silkypix) that came with the Q for processing the Q's DNG file until Adobe RAW gets updated.

Still wonders why the DNG file is not compressed and why there is not PEF version of the RAW file.

Dave
09-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #25
m8o
Veteran Member

Based on the Flower pin cushion ISO series of pictures... Small sensor or not, ISO1600 of the Q blows my K10D @ ISO1600 away. I'd liken the Q's ISO6400 closer to K10D's ISO1600 than the Q @ ISO3200. I'm impressed.
09-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
Page 93 of the manual suggests that the magnified live-view can be activated by either turning the manual focus ring (on a Q-mount lens) or pressing the OK button. Does the OK button method work without a lens on?
I guess I should have read the manual before making that statement. I just tried it and yes, pressing OK does bring up the magnification with the lens detatched!
09-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Based on the Flower pin cushion ISO series of pictures... Small sensor or not, ISO1600 of the Q blows my K10D @ ISO1600 away. I'd liken the Q's ISO6400 closer to K10D's ISO1600 than the Q @ ISO3200. I'm impressed.
Never mind the K10d: My "concern" is it's already better than the K7! It would be interesting to see a Q vs K20d/K7 comparison by someone with both.
It seems that there's a 2 year catch up rule something like the following:

2011 compact's sensitivity = 2009 APS = 2007 Full Frame?

So we may expect a (theoretical) Q to match a 2011 Full Frame sensor by 2015.
09-14-2011, 07:58 AM   #28
Forum Member

Devorama ...
Thank you for the mini-review. Do you think you can get a few pictures of your Q for size comparison (ie. your hand holding the camera, also Q next to a K-r/K7/K5 ... whatever you have) ? Also, do you plan to get a Q to K adapter ? Perhaps you can also post some pictures of a K lenses mounted on that adapter to the Q. Whenever you have it, of course !

Thanks!

Edit: I saw the K adapter with SMC lens mounted on it on another thread. However, please feel free to add your own pictures when/if you get that. Thnx

Last edited by vn33; 09-14-2011 at 08:11 AM.
09-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #29
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
There need to be an Adobe update for the DNG file out of the Q. Might has something to do with lens correction information in the file. He recommended the software (latest Pentax vesrion of Silkypix) that came with the Q for processing the Q's DNG file until Adobe RAW gets updated.

Still wonders why the DNG file is not compressed and why there is not PEF version of the RAW file.
I wonder why an update is needed. I thought the whole idea of the DNG format was to provide a universal, cross-platform format so new software/updates wouldn't be needed every time a new camera model comes out.
09-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Never mind the K10d: My "concern" is it's already better than the K7! It would be interesting to see a Q vs K20d/K7 comparison by someone with both.
It seems that there's a 2 year catch up rule something like the following:
2011 compact's sensitivity = 2009 APS = 2007 Full Frame?
So we may expect a (theoretical) Q to match a 2011 Full Frame sensor by 2015.
From the examples I've seen, the camera isn't very sharp even from base ISO. So it's great if the Q can hold detail and contrast at high ISO, but detail in base ISO is where I would like to compare cameras like the K-7 to Q. Kind of difficult with the limited Q lens selection though. I'd like to see a halo lens for the Q that is meant to resolve as much detail as possible.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I wonder why an update is needed. I thought the whole idea of the DNG format was to provide a universal, cross-platform format so new software/updates wouldn't be needed every time a new camera model comes out.
I agree. The whole point of DNG is compatibility. That's why I use it. Maybe Pentax was just rushed to release the camera and had to take a few steps back in RAW with this presumably slower processor inside the Q. At least that would explain the lack of compression.