Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #16
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
And all these compact cameras you can change lenses too???
I can't catch your logic.
How interchangeable lenses connect with AF in video?
A lot of DSLR and mirrorless cameras has interchangeable lenses and AF in video mode.

09-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
A lot of DSLR and mirrorless cameras has interchangeable lenses and AF in video mode.
er... not really? the only dSLR that could and is out right now is the Nikon D7000 and D5100.... so... yea...
09-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #18
Veteran Member

No they don't.
09-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

No they don't.
Panasonic GH2, for one.

09-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Panasonic GH2, for one.
My k-x doesn't.

Some of them can do and some of them can not. As far as AF goes Sony's SLTs are very good.
09-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #21
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
er... not really? the only dSLR that could and is out right now is the Nikon D7000 and D5100.... so... yea...
I can only ask you to go to the dpreview and have a look at reviews of mirrorless cameras and DSLR of 2010-2011.

Canon 600D, 60D, 550D has AF in video mode...Not very good AF, but there is.

Even K-7 had AF in beta-version.

Last edited by ogl; 09-12-2011 at 01:59 AM.
09-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #22
Veteran Member

My k-x doesn't.

Some of them can do and some of them can not. As far as AF goes Sony's SLTs are very good.
I know the K-x doesn't. That's why I got the GH2.

I only responded since the language of your prior post suggest that NO dSLR/ILC had AF during video.

09-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I know the K-x doesn't. That's why I got the GH2.

I only responded since the language of your prior post suggest that NO dSLR/ILC had AF during video.

No I definitely did not mean that ALL of them can not. But I mean good amount of them can not.

I can only ask you to go to the dpreview and have a look at reviews of mirrorless DSLR of 2010-2011.

Canon 600D, 60D, 550D has AF in video mode...Not very good AF, but there is.

Even K-7 had AF in beta-version.

"but there" doesn't cut it. Most of them are nowhere near to what P&S offer in terms of AF. For a person to be very critical of anything wrong he could find with Q, you are too kind to dSLRs. Not applying same standards is called HYPOCRISY.

Q also has ISO6400 but it is hardly as usuable as iso6400 from D3s.
09-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #24
Oog
Forum Member

Quite honestly, coming from a TV broadcast background, if you are a serious videographer, shooting a serious storyboarded project, you will NOT want autofocus on when you are shooting your epic movie, on whatever camera you are using. You really don't want to see the lens shift focus during your shot when you don't want it to. Those digital betacam cameras that are in broadcasting and news journalism are not autofocus, they are focused manually using the electronic viewfinder.

I think people are asking too much from Pentax (or any other camera maker) to fully spec the video mode in a still camera. While I think video mode on a still camera is convenient, I would get a camera specific for video shooting if I am shooting video. For example Canon has an HD professional camcorder that retails for only $2000 now (the XA10, which has autofocus, and in my mind, is a video camera that acts like a digital SLR, but with XLR audio connects and adjustable audio levels).

It's the whole "are you using this camera to take primarily stills or primarily video" discussion.

Now where is my freaking FF Pentax body?!?!?!
09-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All of this autofocus talk is a mystery to me. When using camcorders, I always disliked using autofocus, and I only used because most consumer camcorders didn't have good manual focus controls. If I could choose between a camera with autofocus that costs more, or manual focus with a lower price, I would gladly chose not to pay for autofocus.
09-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm talking about autofocus for video, by the way. I understand why it is crucial for sports / weddings, etc.
09-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
It certainly is firmware only.
The Q has the same video mode dial position (conflicting with the M mode position) and less buttons. Everything else is software.

Adding manual controls to video for the Q must have been an afterthought. Otherwise, the Q would have gotten a video button (a separate red record button) rather than a mode dial position which is awkward anyway. Esp. if you later want to allow stills during video.

So, the question if there now will be a manual video mode firmware upgrade for the K-5 tells us a lot about what Pentax thinks about their customers ...
I believe that a hardware limitation may prevent this from being implemented in firmware. See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/124080-mirror-cycl...recording.html. If it is indeed hardware, we will need to wait for the next K-system camera.

--DragonLord
09-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #28
Oog
Forum Member

For video shooting, there is definitely a mechanical limitation, if viewing the video is required on the optical viewfinder while shooting. The old 16mm film cameras that were reflex had to be able to cycle the mirror at film speed i.e., 18 fps, 24 fps, 40 fps. But these were much smaller mirrors. It's hard to see these DSLRs flapping their mirrors at 30 fps without causing serious wear and tear. They are not built like a 35 mm movie camera.

But that's why video cameras are mirrorless.....you don't need a mirror (an optical element) when the viewfinder is electronic....'

The Q has no mirror, so there should technically be no hardware limitation in that regard.

Question: does the Q have a traditional focal plane shutter, or is it purely electronic?

Such marketing hype.....oohhh, "mirrorless SLRs!!!" That's an oxymoron!!!! It's called a video camera!!! Anyone worth their salt knows the history of the term Single Lens Reflex and how it came about.....

Last edited by Oog; 09-11-2011 at 11:31 PM.
09-11-2011, 11:27 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oog Quote
For video shooting, there is definitely a mechanical limitation, if viewing the video is required on the optical viewfinder while shooting. The old 16mm film cameras that were reflex had to be able to cycle the mirror at film speed i.e., 18 fps, 24 fps, 40 fps. But these were much smaller mirrors. It's hard to see these DSLRs flapping their mirrors at 30 fps without causing serious wear and tear.

But that's why video cameras are mirrorless.....you don't need a mirror (an optical element) when the viewfinder is electronic....

Such marketing hype.....oohhh, "mirrorless SLRs!!!" That's an oxymoron!!!! It's called a video camera!!! Anyone worth their salt knows the history of the term Single Lens Reflex and how it came about.....
The mirror is locked up and the shutter held open during video shooting.

--DragonLord
09-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #30
Oog
Forum Member

Sorry DragonLord, wasn't sure if you were talking about Q or the K5/K-r etc. You are right regardless.

That means that the camera (K series), in video mode, is using an electronic shutter, like in video cameras. Still, shutter speed should be adjustable in video mode, like in many video cameras.

Does anyone start to see the redundancy in creating a DSLR with an optical viewfinder? And with the digital revolution, aren't DSLRs evolving to just become video cameras with much higher resolution sensors, but don't have the capability of recording audio properly?