Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2011, 03:03 AM   #61
Veteran Member
dankoBanana's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Posts: 535
why o WHY doesn't the K5 have full manual control in video?

09-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #62
Veteran Member
ManuH's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,209
QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
why o WHY doesn't the K5 have full manual control in video?
Because it's a still camera
09-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #63
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,236
QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
why o WHY doesn't the K5 have full manual control in video?
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Because it's a still camera
and because the K-5 is a lot older than the Q. Developing firmware isn't an instant thing, it takes time. I'd say there is a very good chance the K-5 successor will have manual video control. It's not really a good excuse though because Canikon have it in their DSLRs already of course...
09-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #64
Veteran Member
ManuH's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,209
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
and because the K-5 is a lot older than the Q. Developing firmware isn't an instant thing, it takes time. I'd say there is a very good chance the K-5 successor will have manual video control. It's not really a good excuse though because Canikon have it in their DSLRs already of course...
But this is probably very low in their priorities. You know before reading these forums I didn't even know I might want manual controls in video. And most people I know who own DSLR have no idea of what it means anyway. On a personal note I use video for short clips of my children, auto works well enough for my use. It's like tethering, everybody on the forum request it but I wonder how many would really use it. I never even tried it on my K10D.

09-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #65
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
My guess is that anyone who prefers to use manual exposure for stills would also prefer to use manual exposure in video mode. The lack of manual exposure in video is a terrible and unnecessary limitation. Many people buy slrs for video these days.
09-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #66
Banned




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millstone,NJ
Posts: 6,491
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Because it's a still camera
The Canon 5D MKII is a FF DSLR with manual control in video mode that came out in 2008.
http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2008/10/10/without-further-ado-reverie/

http://vincentlaforet.smugmug.com/gallery/6021407_xEg87/1/#378608891_Jd2CT-A-LB


Last edited by jogiba; 09-24-2011 at 05:06 PM.
09-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #67
Veteran Member
ManuH's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,209
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Many people buy slrs for video these days.
OK, how many people use manual controls?

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The Canon 5D MKII is a FF DSLR with manual control in video mode that came out in 2008.
So what? I know those clips and they tend to prove my point that only video enthusiasts need manual controls. For those of us who just snap short clips it doesn't really matter. Explain to me how manual controls are so important.
09-26-2011, 01:30 AM   #68
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
Manual controls are important because for a couple of different reasons.
1. Some people simply prefer to use them.
2. They have literally lead to the creation of a new market, which is the dslr filmmaking market. Participation in this market would most likely be a positive thing.

Since you mentioned it, I am now curious how about how many people use manual controls. I may look into creating a poll about this. My guess, before reading the forums, would be that a lot of people use them. Now, I'm not so sure. My only camera until 2009 was the K1000, so I have been used to using only manual controls for a long time.

09-26-2011, 01:56 AM   #69
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Explain to me how manual controls are so important.
It rather is.

However, the K-5 allows for almost manual control: You can set aperture and E/V compensation and lock the exposure.

Knowing that the K-5 will always use the slowest speed possible (as long as faster than the frame rate) and that underexposure is no problem with the K-5 sensor, you almost get manual control: underexpose until the desired shutter-speed is met (which often means no underexpose at all) and bump up ISO in postprocessing which the K-5 allows you to do.

But I agree, manual control would accelerate the setting of parameters in video.

However, for Pentax to conquer part of the filmmaking market, it would need to innovate rather than just follow. They missed their chance to hit big when they almost released the world's first HDSLR without realizing it (the K20D with its 21fps frame rate -- could have been 24fps and with improved buffer processing to lift the 116 frame limit plus a micro port). BTW, the K20D had full manual control for this feature.

Last edited by falconeye; 09-26-2011 at 02:01 AM.
09-26-2011, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #70
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,660
It's sometimes hard to make sense of what people say they need in DSLR video. In the same breath people will often say they want full manual control of video, and then complain about the lack of AF within video.

Anyway, I guess it is always better to have all of the options available - manual exposure control, AF, different frame rates whatever - than to have your options limited.
09-26-2011, 07:12 AM   #71
Veteran Member
ManuH's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,209
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Anyway, I guess it is always better to have all of the options available - manual exposure control, AF, different frame rates whatever - than to have your options limited.
That's OK, but I'm not sure it benefits Pentax so much. The K-5 cannot do liveview or video for too long, the sensor overheat and shut down. Putting manual controls for videographers must be priority #9999 on Pentax's list. It's a nice-to-have but some people make it like it's a deal breaker. Falk convinced me that it's not difficult to workaround anyway.

In my daily use I'm more concerned about the lack of a direct button for video. Something does not work well in the K-5 UI for liveview and video. LV has a direct button but video is treated as a different mode. A reworking of the UI is necessary to make it more logical IMHO. Somehow I thought that video as as drive mode like on the K20D was somehow more logical, at least from a still camera point of view. Video is after all a special burst mode where the result is put into a single file with sound added. That way you could use any exposure mode (Av, Tv, TAv, M, etc) with video.
09-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #72
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
My perspective is a bit skewed, because I am currently in grad school for film production. For the people I'm around, the lack of manual control for video absolutely is a deal breaker. I'm sure most of the people I know would rather have a T2i than a K-5 for this reason. With that being said, the price of the K-5 relative to the 7D, plus the shake reduction feature, would probably make the K-5 more appealing to some of these people than the 7D is, if it had full manual control for video.
10-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #73
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 54
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Devorama did confirm it and said it only works for pre-focusing on his camera. That's why I'm saying either the person on Adorama has new firmware, or they don't know what they are talking about.
Hi SJWaldron
Re:Q AF, I think they had it right in that Video
Set Dial to Movie,press info to select auto,press info again to select Auto/Manual with 4way controller,OR go to the next box,press info and choose Tracking.A bit convoluted
but it's there.Hope this helps.
10-19-2011, 01:07 AM   #74
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago suburb, IL, USA
Posts: 1,535
QuoteOriginally posted by Teddy 738 Quote
Hi SJWaldron
Re:Q AF, I think they had it right in that Video
Set Dial to Movie,press info to select auto,press info again to select Auto/Manual with 4way controller,OR go to the next box,press info and choose Tracking.A bit convoluted
but it's there.Hope this helps.
Hi Teddy,

I really don't shoot video, so I might be missing something, but I think you're mistaken.

The thing is that the sensor gives you very deep DOF. For the 8.5mm, even at f1.9, the hypfocal distance is at about 7.5 ft, so if you focus there, everything from about 4 ft to ∞ will be acceptably in focus. At f8, focus to @ 22 inches, and everything from 11.5 inches to ∞ will be in focus.

This means that a real test would be to set the aperture to f1.9 and initially focus on something close, say about 1-2 ft away, start the recording, then pan to farther subjects. You'll see that the focus doesn't change, and everything will quickly go OOF and stay that way until you get back to something close again. I've only tried this with a few settings, so there might be some combination that works, but I can assure you that the ones I've tried haven't, including your suggestion.

From a practical standpoint, this is good because it makes focusing for video easy. The bad thing is that it'll be hard to blur your background much unless you shoot wide open and your subject is pretty close and the background is reasonably far away.

Scott
10-19-2011, 07:50 AM   #75
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 188
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Teddy,

I really don't shoot video, so I might be missing something, but I think you're mistaken.

The thing is that the sensor gives you very deep DOF. For the 8.5mm, even at f1.9, the hypfocal distance is at about 7.5 ft, so if you focus there, everything from about 4 ft to ∞ will be acceptably in focus. At f8, focus to @ 22 inches, and everything from 11.5 inches to ∞ will be in focus.

This means that a real test would be to set the aperture to f1.9 and initially focus on something close, say about 1-2 ft away, start the recording, then pan to farther subjects. You'll see that the focus doesn't change, and everything will quickly go OOF and stay that way until you get back to something close again. I've only tried this with a few settings, so there might be some combination that works, but I can assure you that the ones I've tried haven't, including your suggestion.

From a practical standpoint, this is good because it makes focusing for video easy. The bad thing is that it'll be hard to blur your background much unless you shoot wide open and your subject is pretty close and the background is reasonably far away.

Scott

Exactly what I was about to post. The Q doesn't do Focus tracking, it just looks that way when they choose the "tracking" AF because of the large DOF. As soon as you hit the shutter button to lock a focus, the AF stops working. However, you can continue to use the MF Ring on the lens to adjust focus regardless if you choose manual or Auto Video recording modes.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, control, mirrorless, mode, pentax, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, q10, q7, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K5...manual video control? D4rknezz Pentax DSLR Discussion 23 09-30-2011 06:46 PM
Maybe An Email Camapign To Persuade Pentax To Give Us Full Manual Video Mode Christopher M.W.T Video and Pentax HDSLRs 136 03-24-2010 10:48 AM
[k-x]How to enable shake reduction in video mode with manual lens? tiny Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 03-15-2010 07:56 PM
nikon d3S have hidden manual control in video, does pentax also have??? kmlo1984 Video and Pentax HDSLRs 5 01-15-2010 12:51 PM
Suggestion -- move video to the Drive Mode control filmamigo Video and Pentax HDSLRs 3 11-25-2009 11:21 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:45 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top