Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Timelapse Movies and other observations from a Q owner

Okay, I didn't realize how cool the time lapse videos could be from the Q:

I did another one of these with manual exposure, but it gets dark really fast and you can't appreciate the color shifting of twilight then.

My other big observation from this weekend is that the flash hotshoe does not work as I expected. It would not fire my Cactus V5 triggers. And with my Sigma 530 super flash, it only seemed to function correctly in P-TTL mode. When I set it to manual mode, it seemed to fire at low power regardless of the flash setting. This was a major bummer for me, as I needed the off camera and manual flash settings for the picture I was taking. I went back to my trusty K-r to take my shot instead. (EDIT: I subsequently discovered one must set the internal flash to deactivated mode in order to fire a non-P-TTL flash on the hotshoe.)

It also seems to me that the metered exposure is more prone to blown highlights than on my K-r. But that may just be due to the more limited dynamic range of the small sensor.

And finaly, it did become very clear that people react very differently to a very tiny camera pointed at them as opposed to a DSLR. Yes, the K-r is small by dslr standards, but it still looks huge to non-photographers!

Last edited by devorama; 09-15-2011 at 01:04 AM.
09-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Nice time lapse movie! I've done a few time lapse movies with my more than 5 year old Optio W10 (which has built in interval shooting), but of course getting the movie straight out of the camera makes this even more fun.
09-13-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
And finaly, it did become very clear that people react very differently to a very tiny camera pointed at them as opposed to a DSLR.
They definitely react very differently to a Leica rangefinder... If the Q gives the same more positive reaction from people then this is almost priceless
09-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Did you make sure to use the Cactus within the shutter sync speed? It seems very odd that the Q would not trigger it.

09-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Did you make sure to use the Cactus within the shutter sync speed? It seems very odd that the Q would not trigger it.
Yes, I tried slower speeds too. I was all set to show off my 1/250sec flash sync because I was shooting a daylight flash picture and wanted to do some neat effect with balancing my flash exposure with the ambient. But I couldn't get the darn Cactus trigger to fire at any shutter speed. That was a major bummer for me.
09-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Cool, can we get that timelapse on our K-5?!?
09-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

But I couldn't get the darn Cactus trigger to fire at any shutter speed. That was a major bummer for me.
Should be "Couldn't get the darn Q to fire the trigger".

If Pentax crippled the hot shoe mount by requiring communication with the flash before enabling the simplest of all triggering actions (shorting the middle pin to the ground) then I'd deeply detest that. It would be a foul way to limit flash compatibility to flashes understanding the Pentax protocol.

Nice timelapse, BTW!
09-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Should be "Couldn't get the darn Q to fire the trigger".

If Pentax crippled the hot shoe mount by requiring communication with the flash before enabling the simplest of all triggering actions (shorting the middle pin to the ground) then I'd deeply detest that. It would be a foul way to limit flash compatibility to flashes understanding the Pentax protocol.

Nice timelapse, BTW!
Yeah, I tried the Q with my full manual Lumopro LP160 flash and it would not fire that either. :-( This is bad news for an aspiring strobist. I was able to use my Sigma 530 Super with a generic PTTL cord though. So I guess not all off camera flash possibilities are dead.

09-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Cool, can we get that timelapse on our K-5?!?
Of course !
But i don't remember which function n.
09-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #10
Pentaxian

There is interval shooting function on K-5 (Q too) in the second shooting menu, but the Q has an "Interval Movie" function as well. The camera creates the final movie file for you...I can think of numerous reasons why you would not want the camera to do this for you, but it's a neat feature nonetheless. It makes time lapse more accessible to the masses.
09-15-2011, 12:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Hi Couscousdelight,
you don't need an admin to delete a post.
Just "Edit" it and then choose the "Delete" option at the bottom.
09-15-2011, 01:03 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A breakthrough! I figured out how to get a manual flash and my flash triggers to work! In order for the hotshot to trigger a non-P-TTL flash, the flash mode must be set to No Flash. The lightning bolt with the circle and slash through it. I tuess this turns off the internal flash and turns ON the hotshoe for regular operation. This seems somewhat counter intuitive. I read the manual and didn't see anything about this anywhere. But I can now fire my Lumopro flash, my Sunpak flash, and my Cactus triggers! Yay!
09-15-2011, 04:51 AM   #13
Pentaxian

But I can now fire my Lumopro flash, my Sunpak flash, and my Cactus triggers!
Well done devorama!

Well done Pentax as well!
09-15-2011, 05:16 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Yes, thank you for this precious info devorama !
03-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
Forum Member

I can't seem to get the time laps movie mode to work right. I can set all the settings hit the start shooting with shutter button. The Q starts shooting at the set times at the end it says its done shooting. When I go to play back the movie it says only 00'00" for time and only the first shot shows up. what happen to the other photos I don't know.