Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great images of adapted lenses, Mistral75. The lenses make your Q look so retro and cool. Appreciate all the trouble you went to. Can't wait to see some photos.

A few questions on C & D mount lenses. What is the difference between them? Can you tell which a lens is by looking at it? I have a neat TV lens and would like to know which it is.
thanks
barondla

09-23-2011, 12:59 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Great images of adapted lenses, Mistral75. The lenses make your Q look so retro and cool. Appreciate all the trouble you went to. Can't wait to see some photos.
Thank you but hese pictures weren't taken by me. They come from the manufacturer of the adapter (Kipon KIPON begin to sell several world first adapters for new Pentax Q mount mini camera-KIPON adapter) or the adapter's seller on eBay (RJ / jinfinance RJ 16mm movie C to Pentax Q adapter inner ring design).

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
A few questions on C & D mount lenses. What is the difference between them? Can you tell which a lens is by looking at it? I have a neat TV lens and would like to know which it is.
C mount lenses are mainly 16mm cine lenses or CCTV lenses. D mount lenses are 8mm cine lenses.

D mount's thread is nominally 0.625 inch (15.88mm) in diameter, with 32 threads per inch. The flange focal distance is 12.29mm.

C mount's thread is nominally 1 inch (25.4mm) in diameter, with 32 threads per inch. The flange focal distance is 0.69 inch (17.526mm). There is also a CS mount ("S" being for "short") with the same characteristics but a flange focal distance of 12.52mm (0.492 inch).

Your TV lens is most certainly a C or CS mount.
09-23-2011, 01:08 AM   #18
Pentaxian

The Japanese manufacturer Rayqual is also selling C mount and D mount to Pentax Q adapters. Please see the Pentax Q - Various adapters thread or the Rayqual's web page.

The C mount adapter is on the front left and the D mount one on the front right.

Last edited by Mistral75; 09-23-2011 at 05:44 AM.
09-23-2011, 05:33 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the pictures and (apparently very peculiar and hard to find) references too.

I am waiting for a Pentax Cosmicar 1/3" C mount 3.5-8mm f/1.4, just hope it's not wasted bucks...

09-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Thanks for the pictures and (apparently very peculiar and hard to find) references too.

I am waiting for a Pentax Cosmicar 1/3" C mount 3.5-8mm f/1.4, just hope it's not wasted bucks...
Uh oh. Do you mean this lens:

PENTAX C70319 CCTV Lens

There are 3 problems with this lens.
It's a 1/3" lens. That won't cover the 1/2.3" sensor without vignetting.
It's a CS lens, not a C mount lens. That means it's designed for a flange depth that's 5mm shorter. It might still work but it will act like a lens on an extension tube. So greater magnification and closer focusing, but maybe losing infinity focus.
It's a DC iris. That means the aperture is controlled electronically. If there's no manual override, you may have a problem.

You really want to look for 1/2" lenses or bigger, C-mount, with manual iris and manual focus.
09-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, this is the one : full manual apparently.

09-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah, ok, that one has a manual iris. But you are still going to face the 1/3" vignetting problem and the CS vs. C-mount issue. Although I guess if you mount a CS lens on a C mount adapter, the imaging circle will be wider at the deeper C mount flange depth. So maybe the vignetting won't be so bad. But there will be some light loss so it won't be as bright as an F/1.4.
09-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let's try... i will let you know !

I also found a real C Mount 16mm f/1.4 today... could be great for portraits.

09-26-2011, 03:40 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Seems like Q to C and C to K works:

2011/09/24 PentaxQ+DFA 100mm f2.8 with monopod

although there seems to be vignetting.

3 adapters - Q to C, C to N, N to 67 - have also been done.
Pentax Q with M*800mm f6.7 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
10-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
C mount's thread is nominally 1 inch (25.4mm) in diameter, with 32 threads per inch. The flange focal distance is 0.69 inch (17.526mm).
I see the seller of the RJ adapter writes it is a little thinner so that lenses go beyond infinity. My plan is to use a fixed-focus lens and are therefore a little sceptical to an adapter not quite thick enough. Does anyone here have any experience with the Kipon adapter in this regard?
10-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got my Q to C mount adapter! I promptly put the K-mount to C-mount adapter on that and took pics with my longest lens, a Tamron 70-300mm F/4-5.6. First, a moon shot at about 135mm and cropped:

This lens will also do a 1:2 macro at 300mm and the minimum focusing distance. I shot at 300mm for this dime shot. The dime is lit by my penlight from the front for the ridges. The direct reflection off the surface is from my iphone flashlight shining through a square of toilet tissue.

10-04-2011, 06:57 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
a Tamron 70-300mm F/4-5.6.
Good looking shots, with good detail, especially the moon. That Tamron (I own a copy) isn't the best lens on the planet, but the results here look quite acceptable.

I am surprised that Pentax haven't released their own K to Q adapter yet. I know it has been announced, but if they were sensible it would have been available in stores at the same time as the Q.
10-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
I got my Q to C mount adapter! I promptly put the K-mount to C-mount adapter on that and took pics with my longest lens, a Tamron 70-300mm F/4-5.6. First, a moon shot at about 135mm and cropped:

This lens will also do a 1:2 macro at 300mm and the minimum focusing distance. I shot at 300mm for this dime shot. The dime is lit by my penlight from the front for the ridges. The direct reflection off the surface is from my iphone flashlight shining through a square of toilet tissue.
I assume you used a tripod for both shots, how did the Q handle the weight of that lens mounted to it? Or does one of your adapters have its own tripod mount?
10-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
I assume you used a tripod for both shots, how did the Q handle the weight of that lens mounted to it? Or does one of your adapters have its own tripod mount?
Yes I used a tripod for these. The adapters I'm using are the Kipon all metal ones. That with the Q metal mount seems pretty solid. Of course, this lens is relatively lightweight. I wouldn't try this with a fast telephoto without figuring out some additional support. The adapters have no tripod mounts.
10-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #30
Pentaxian

M39 to Q now available

On eBay now there is a seller offering a M39 screw mount to Q adapter:

Leica voigtlander M39 lens to pentax Q camera mount

and via an intermediate C to Q adapter, particular combos for:

RJ Nikon AI AIS F lens to Pentax Q adapter

RJ Canon EOS EF EF-S EFS lens to Pentax Q adapter

K and M42 to Q can't be far away now.