Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
I got my c-mount lens spacers from Edmund Optics. I ordered a 1.0mm and 1.25mm. I'm testing them with my Kipon C mount adapter and my Pentax 6mm F/1.2 lens. For reference, the distance markings on this lens are for 8", 1ft, 1.5ft and infinity.

With the 1.0mm, the lens focuses noticeably further than the distance scale. When focused about 15 feet away, it lines up with the 8" mark and it focuses well past infinity.
With the 1.25mm spacer, the lens JUST focuses at on distant objects when set to infinity. In fact, the DoF is pretty wide at F/2 when focused just short of infinity.

So I think the 1.25mm spacer is the one to get if that's the route you're taking.
Well I tried the 1.25mm spacer on my Computar 5mm F/1.4 lens. And with that combination, the FARTHEST I could focus was about 8 inches! With the 1.0mm spacer, it focuses past infinity down to 1cm! It's amazing how much difference the 0.25mm makes.

10-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #62
Pentaxian

DC Watch tried a bunch of C-mount and D-mount lenses on Pentax Q with Rayqual C-to-Q and D-to-Q adapters.

C-mount lenses:

- Pentax Cosmicar 6mm f/1.2 (same as Devorama's)

- Kern Paillard Switar 25mm f/1.4 RX

- P. Angenieux 75mm f/2.5

- Cosmicar 9mm f/3.4 pinhole

D-mount lenses:

- Kern Paillard Pizar 5.5mm f/1.9

- Zunow 6.5mm f/1.4

(no photo)

- Zunow 13mm f/1.9

- Kodak Cine Ektanon 13mm f/2.7

The report, including full size jpegs taken with each lens, can be read here:

PENTAX Q‚ƒ}ƒEƒ“ƒgƒAƒ_ƒvƒ^[‚ŽŽ‚iƒ€[ƒr[ƒJƒƒ‰ƒŒƒ“ƒY•ҁj - ƒfƒWƒJƒWatch
10-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #63
Pentaxian

For those of you who prefer French to Japanese:

Bagues adaptatrices pour Pentax Q
10-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Hum, let's hope this one is also interesting :

C mount CCTV Navitar 50/0.95
I should soon have my idea on the subject.

10-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Mock,

I've been getting anxious for a K>Q adapter as this is a major reason for me buying a Q, so last night I decided to try e-mailing Rayqual on the chance that they'd have someone who could translate, and they responded pretty quickly stating that they do not ship overseas, but linked to Japan Exposures saying that I could purchase one from them. I've e-mailed them early this morning with a price, shipping and handling, and procedures request, but have not received a response yet. I expect that they'll get back to me later today. Their policy is to sell at the actual cost plus a modest handling fee. The price listted on the Rayqual site is @ $287 USD, so we'll see what happens. . .

Scott
Scott, did Japan Exposures respond?
10-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Another manufacturer of C-mount to Q-mount adapters: Henryk Borsuk from Poland a.k.a. ciecio7 on eBay, best known for manufacturing and selling adapters to use various cine lenses on bodies such as 4/3 cameras, Arri PL cameras, Canon EOS and Canon XL cameras, Samsung NXs, Sony NEXs, Sony PMW-F3 and more.

US$32 + US$5 shipping and handling.

The lens herebelow is a Kern Paillard Switar 10 mm f/1.6 Visifocus introduced in 1956.

10-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Another manufacturer of C-mount to Q-mount adapters: Henryk Borsuk from Poland a.k.a. ciecio7 on eBay, best known for manufacturing and selling adapters to use various cine lenses on bodies such as 4/3 cameras, Arri PL cameras, Canon EOS and Canon XL cameras, Samsung NXs, Sony NEXs, Sony PMW-F3 and more.

The lens herebelow is a Kern Paillard Switar 10 mm f/1.6 Visifocus introduced in 1956.
I'll give this one a go...buying it to go along with my new Angenieux 12-120mm f/2.2. I've dubbed it the "Q-Bigma"

Ordered a K-C adapter too...can't let devorama and snostorm have all the fun.

Last edited by Mock; 10-23-2011 at 04:15 PM.
10-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #68

Thanks for the link, just ordered even though I have my Kippon adapter that Devoram and Snostorm ordered on the way. It's been stuck in China since the 11th. Just frustrated now, but I understand that all of the suppliers are having trouble with shipments out of China right now through EMS and are promising a month+ wait time now. Plus this adapter has a built in inner ring to adjust for different size lenses without the need for shims!
10-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
Scott, did Japan Exposures respond?
Hi Mock,

Sorry for the delayed answer, but yes they did after a couple of days.

Here's the relevant information:

"I can order one of these adapters for you without a problem. The actual price for the adapter is 22,050 JPY.
We sell all items totally transparently at cost i.e. no markup, only adding a service fee. Our standard fee structure for equipment sourcing is as follows: 5000 for items up to 10.000, 10.000 for any item over 10.000 up to 100.000, 20.000 for any item up to 200.000 and so on. To that we add expenses like postage to obtain the item or other fees like banking.

The price for this item would be as follows;
Part: 22,050

JCH fees: 10,000

Express Shipping: 2,000

Total: 34,050

The shipping would be with EMS, which usually takes no more than 5 days to mainland USA. "

When I converted to USD at the time, it came to $411 + change! I e-mailed them back and thanked them for their time and effort, but told them that I was not in a position to order one at this time. . .

I've also inquired at Fotodiox. Their owner/buyer is currently in China for at least another 3 weeks, and though the CS guy said he'd e-mail a request to look into the possibility that they might get a K>Q adapter, he said that he wouldn't expect any news until the owner returns from his trip.

It occurred to me that by going "devorama's" route of a C>Q adapter + a K>C adapter would give me a lot more possibilities for lenses since I can buy inexpensive C adapters for any OEM lens mount, as well as any C or CS mount lens that I might run into cheap. . .

I just ordered a K-C adapter from B&H and an "RJ" C-Q adapter from "jinfinance" on ebay (I've dealt with them before for a focusing screen), and the total was under $60 USD shipped. In a week to 10 days, I should be equipped to play with some of my premium lenses for tele and macro work. From samples I've already been seeing this should get interesting.

Scott
10-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Thanks for looking into it scott, $411 is absurd!
I can get Fotodiox stuff for cheap where I work, hopefully they decide to make one.
10-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please tell Fotodiox that we would love a Pentax A110 to Q adapter. A Pk to Q with adjustable aperture would also be great. Why is it taking so long to get shipments from China?
thanks
barondla
10-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #72
Pentaxian

ciecio7 is now proposing a simplified version of his adapter. There is no distinct and rotatable inner ring any more, which allowed to adjust the lens in any position so as to see the aperture or distance scale.

Price is therefore lower: US$25 + US$5 shipping and handling.

10-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #73

ciecio7 is now proposing a simplified version of his adapter. There is no distinct and rotatable inner ring any more, which allowed to adjust the lens in any position so as to see the aperture or distance scale.

Price is therefore lower: US$25 + US$5 shipping and handling.
Are you sure the inner ring was JUST to allow rotation of the lens to see the aperture and distance scale? The original Ebay post made a very distinct mention that this inner ring was used to extend or shrink the distance between the lens and sensor to allow infinity focus with any lens. This basically allowed a adjustable inner ring to change lens distance without shims which was very nice.

I ordered before the change and hope I get the inner ring version, though he also mentioned that that version created a 1.6 magnification. Will this adapter remove that magnification?

Last edited by knightzerox; 10-25-2011 at 12:35 PM.
10-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by knightzerox Quote
Are you sure the inner ring was JUST to allow rotation of the lens to see the aperture and distance scale? The original Ebay post made a very distinct mention that this inner ring was used to extend or shrink the distance between the lens and sensor to allow infinity focus with any lens. This basically allowed a adjustable inner ring to change lens distance without shims which was very nice.
In his description of the adapter with inner ring, Henryk writes the following:

"The inner ring with thread is rotatable so you can adjust the lens scale in any position."

Kern Berthiot CCTV 16mm c-mount movie lens to Pentax Q adapter adaptor | eBay

I am just a poor Frenchman trying to understand some English words written by a Pole but, when I read the text and look at the illustrative photography, I do think that the so-called "lens scale" is the aperture and distance scale

and that the inner ring is not fitted to any helicoid. Besides, I presume it would be much more expensive if this were the case.

QuoteOriginally posted by knightzerox Quote
I ordered before the change and hope I get the inner ring version, though he also mentioned that that version created a 1.6 magnification. Will this adapter remove that magnification?
The 1.65x "magnification factor" Henryk is mentioning makes reference to the "crop factor" of the Q sensor (4.55 mm by 6.17 mm) compared to standard, double-perforation 16 mm film, the picture area of which is of 7.49 mm by 10.26 mm. In that sense, people used to utilize C-mount lenses on their 16 mm film camera will experience a "magnification factor" of 1.65x.

Compared to 24x35 still cameras, the crop factor of the Q is close to 5.5x, whatever the adapter (as long as there isn't any lens inside the adapter).
10-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #75

In his description of the adapter with inner ring, Henryk writes the following:

"The inner ring with thread is rotatable so you can adjust the lens scale in any position."

Kern Berthiot CCTV 16mm c-mount movie lens to Pentax Q adapter adaptor | eBay

I am just a poor Frenchman trying to understand some English words written by a Pole but, when I read the text and look at the illustrative photography, I do think that the so-called "lens scale" is the aperture and distance scale

and that the inner ring is not fitted to any helicoid. Besides, I presume it would be much more expensive if this were the case.

The 1.65x "magnification factor" Henryk is mentioning makes reference to the "crop factor" of the Q sensor (4.55 mm by 6.17 mm) compared to standard, double-perforation 16 mm film, the picture area of which is of 7.49 mm by 10.26 mm. In that sense, people used to utilize C-mount lenses on their 16 mm film camera will experience a "magnification factor" of 1.65x.

Compared to 24x35 still cameras, the crop factor of the Q is close to 5.5x, whatever the adapter (as long as there isn't any lens inside the adapter).
Ah thanks for the clarification!