Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm suspecting that the Kipon Q to C mount adapter might be too thin. My Pentax 6mm F/1.2 lens can only focus if I unscrew it 1.5 turns. Also I noticed when shooting the moon with my K to C and C to Q mount adapters that the lens was focused a good deal shorter than infinity. So I suspect the Kipon Q to C adapter may be too thin, causing a loss of close focus.

10-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #32

Someone on DPReivew mentioned the same issue with their adapter. Suggestions were to use a washer, loctite glue, or some sort of spacer. I've ordered the same adapters and will try to find a working solutions. Worse case I make the Kippon adapter thicker by gluing some spacing washer or pieces of metal.
10-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by knightzerox Quote
Someone on DPReivew mentioned the same issue with their adapter. Suggestions were to use a washer, loctite glue, or some sort of spacer. I've ordered the same adapters and will try to find a working solutions. Worse case I make the Kippon adapter thicker by gluing some spacing washer or pieces of metal.
I will have the Kipon adapter this week and I already have the Pentax 6mm f/1,2 lens. I will reply here when I have tested.

Does anyone know where these, Rayqual mount adapter , can be bought?
10-12-2011, 07:30 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
I will have the Kipon adapter this week and I already have the Pentax 6mm f/1,2 lens. I will reply here when I have tested.

Does anyone know where these, Rayqual mount adapter , can be bought?
Hi, you can find this adapter on B&H Photo or find the Kipon one at Adorama. Just search for "c to k adapter". They are around $30. I've ordered mine from B&H Photo.

10-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #35
Veteran Member

None of the C-K mounts I've found have a tripod ring, this is why the Rayqual ones are desirable. I wait for Pentax or Rayqual to start selling their K-Q adapter.
10-12-2011, 08:19 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
None of the C-K mounts I've found have a tripod ring, this is why the Rayqual ones are desirable. I wait for Pentax or Rayqual to start selling their K-Q adapter.
Hi Mock,

I've been getting anxious for a K>Q adapter as this is a major reason for me buying a Q, so last night I decided to try e-mailing Rayqual on the chance that they'd have someone who could translate, and they responded pretty quickly stating that they do not ship overseas, but linked to Japan Exposures saying that I could purchase one from them. I've e-mailed them early this morning with a price, shipping and handling, and procedures request, but have not received a response yet. I expect that they'll get back to me later today. Their policy is to sell at the actual cost plus a modest handling fee. The price listted on the Rayqual site is @ $287 USD, so we'll see what happens. . .

Scott
10-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
I'm suspecting that the Kipon Q to C mount adapter might be too thin. My Pentax 6mm F/1.2 lens can only focus if I unscrew it 1.5 turns. Also I noticed when shooting the moon with my K to C and C to Q mount adapters that the lens was focused a good deal shorter than infinity. So I suspect the Kipon Q to C adapter may be too thin, causing a loss of close focus.
Yes, you are right. This Kipon adapter is way too thin and useless.

10-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi, you can find this adapter on B&H Photo or find the Kipon one at Adorama. Just search for "c to k adapter". They are around $30. I've ordered mine from B&H Photo.
Thanks, but I am not particularly interested in a c to k adapter. I want to use c-mount lenses on a Q. Anyway, I can't find anything from Rayqual in their shop.
10-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Hi StigVidar,

Rayqual shows C>Q adapters on their site:

http://www.rayqual.com/

They and D mount adapters are pictured under the K>Q and other DSLR mount >Q adapters. Apparently, they are being discounted, but are still pretty pricey.

Scott
10-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Mock,

I've been getting anxious for a K>Q adapter as this is a major reason for me buying a Q, so last night I decided to try e-mailing Rayqual on the chance that they'd have someone who could translate, and they responded pretty quickly stating that they do not ship overseas, but linked to Japan Exposures saying that I could purchase one from them. I've e-mailed them early this morning with a price, shipping and handling, and procedures request, but have not received a response yet. I expect that they'll get back to me later today. Their policy is to sell at the actual cost plus a modest handling fee. The price listted on the Rayqual site is @ $287 USD, so we'll see what happens. . .

Scott
Ouch $287. I'm sure it's a quality product though. I paid $70 total for the adapter from q-c and from c-k combined. I'll give it a try and I'm pretty handy and modifying something if it needs to be adjusted. If Pentax releases their q-k adapter I'll probably end up buying it if it does AF.
10-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Ouch $287. I'm sure it's a quality product though. I paid $70 total for the adapter from q-c and from c-k combined. I'll give it a try and I'm pretty handy and modifying something if it needs to be adjusted. If Pentax releases their q-k adapter I'll probably end up buying it if it does AF.
Hi knightzerox,

I'd doubt that the Pentax adapter would allow AF, unless it had its own power supply. The Q's battery is pretty wimpy, and would be quickly drained by either type of K mount AF motor.

I'm expecting the main difference to be an aperture ring on the adapter on the Pentax model to allow use of DA lenses that don't have an aperture rings. The Rayqual doesn't have one, but that doesn't much matter to me as most of my lenses that I'd use with the Q have their own rings.

If Pentax did come out with an adapter that allowed AF with reasonable performance (probably would need a more advanced AF system in a future body), I'd buy one though. . .

Scott
10-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
You could also buy C-mount 1mm spacer ring. Search for "c-mount ring" on ebay......
10-12-2011, 04:51 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You could also buy C-mount 1mm spacer ring. Search for "c-mount ring" on ebay......
I couldn't find them on ebay, but I did find them here:

Edmund Optics

I estimate the lens scale is accurate when unscrewed 1.5 turns. The threads on c-mount are 32 threads/inch. So each thread is 1/32". So 1.5 threads is 0.047" which is 1.2mm. They have 1.0mm and 1.25 mm. I figure I'll buy both and test them out. Too thin and I'll lose close focus. Too thick and I'll lose infinity focus. I'll let everyone here know how it goes.
10-13-2011, 03:34 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also received a message that this one, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140609967644&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123 is nearly 1mm thicker than the Kipon adapter and should therefore be without focus problems.
10-13-2011, 04:41 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Yes, you are right. This Kipon adapter is way too thin and useless.
I recieved mine and can confirm this statement...

...let's look at possible C-mount 1mm spacer ring