Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax Q pricing

If this post is in an inappropriate forum, please feel free to move it.

I saw this in the Latest Pentax News section: Pentax Q Viewfinder & 2-Lens Kit Available - Pentax News - PentaxForums.com

When you take the price of the 2 lens kit and the optical viewfinder (a must for me), the price far outstrips a new K-r kit and start approaching a new K-5 single lens kit price. I think there's something wrong with this picture; a novelty camera priced at par with a flagship camera's price? Seems awfully silly to me.

Thanks,

09-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was just in a camera store here in Winnipeg and actually played with the Q for a few minutes. The first thing that surprised my was just how small the camera actually is, then the manager told me the price and we both laughed. For the Q and one lens it's retailing for around $850 Canadian. Right next to it was the KR kit that was selling for around $600. We both agreed that the pricing was ridiculous and that they were going to have a hard time selling a small compact camera for far more than a full size SLR.
09-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I hear what you're saying - common sense says cheap sells more - but bear with me. I'm not actually so sure this is a terrible thing. I rather think that Pentax priced it at that point knowing full well that it'd mean less demand. Bear in mind, turnover is vanity, profit is sanity.

If you price it low, retailers have to sell 100s and 100s and 100s of the things in a price sensitive market (the bottom end) to make a profit. But if you price it high they have to sell relatively few to make heaps of margin per unit. Which I'm sure retailers would love. Easier for the retailer in a number of ways. So if you're a retailer and stand to make a ton of money per unit sold, the Q looks quite attractive. Also, less demand means you actually have to make less, so you don't need vast new factories, you don't need to take a gamble and make a lot of stock, and less demand means you can afford more/better QC per unit. Also, it has a USP, and you can always charge more with a USP.

What I don't have a handle on is how price elastic this product is. I'd hope that Pentax has access to market information which has that sort of data. Perhaps Pentax realises the brand has distribution and dealership limitations, so is making as much money out of the few sales it has. Trying to turn it into a luxury brand.

Last edited by Nass; 09-18-2011 at 02:35 PM.
09-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
they could lower the price of a hundred bucks, it will still be an awesome product and a great profit per unit

09-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The price in the stores will always be lower then the prices you're looking at now.

The local store here offered the Q with the prime lens to me for €599, that's €100 lower then what Pentax is telling us it will cost and it will only go down over time.
09-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There's got to be a lot of markup on the Q because of its size, and I think that makes it more of a novelty item than something that would be used by the masses. After all, if you want a compact camera, you can just rely on your cell phone (which is what I do). Back in the 70's, the auto 110 was cool because it was an SLR and it was tiny- but now, anyone could make something like the Q.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the camera, but it definitely not going to bring in big bucks.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
If this post is in an inappropriate forum, please feel free to move it.
We have a Q forum, please use that in the future.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Auto 110 was priced below SLRs as I recall, and often sold as an "all you need" kit.

The Q price is totally bizarre, embarrassing even.
09-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

making things smaller doesn't always make them cheaper, certainly when you look at electronics you see that's not often the case.
09-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
The price in the stores will always be lower then the prices you're looking at now.

The local store here offered the Q with the prime lens to me for €599, that's €100 lower then what Pentax is telling us it will cost and it will only go down over time.
That applies to all products though. IMO the Q is way overpriced for what it is, and the sensor and subsequent IQ is a large disparity with the price
09-18-2011, 03:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
That applies to all products though. IMO the Q is way overpriced for what it is, and the sensor and subsequent IQ is a large disparity with the price
I know but it seems that point is forgotten sometimes, even by you.

You also compared the price Pentax quoted quite a lot with how much the TX5 cost you
09-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I suspect that after the early adopters (like me) are done paying the early adopter tax, the price will probably fall quickly. As someone that purchased the K-x and K-r the very first week they were available in the US, I'm used to seeing the Pentax prices drop by a hundred dollars a couple months after I bought mine. I'm guessing the Q kit will be found for $700 or even $600 by December.
09-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The price that I was quoting is from B&H which was in the link that I've posted. $1,049.00 for the 2 lens kit and $249.00 for the optical viewfinder. Thirteen hundred bucks for a tiny camera like the Q, I don't know what to say.
09-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I know but it seems that point is forgotten sometimes, even by you.

You also compared the price Pentax quoted quite a lot with how much the TX5 cost you
that's true, I did - but the point still stands regarding the Q pricing
09-18-2011, 08:48 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
The price that I was quoting is from B&H which was in the link that I've posted. $1,049.00 for the 2 lens kit and $249.00 for the optical viewfinder. Thirteen hundred bucks for a tiny camera like the Q, I don't know what to say.
The polite thing would be to say nothing. The Q is as much a fashion accessory as it is a camera. While I haven't handled one of them yet, it is my understanding that the build feel is very high, being a magnesium chassis and all.
Electronics aside, the Q sounds like a fairly expensive camera to build, which certainly makes it an oddity within the P&S camera category.