Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2011, 12:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Going Mirrorless, any suggestion?

Planning to have a 'backup' camera. It must be the one that will take full advantage of my manual K mount lenses. The Q is still unreachable for me, so any other suggestion?

09-21-2011, 01:36 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
All the Micro Four Thirds range can take an adapter for K-mount.

Then it's just a choice of features that matter vs price. For me the biggies are in-body image stabilisation and EVF but this brings the price up to more expensive than a DSLR.
09-21-2011, 01:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yeah a Km, Kx, Kr or something like that.

If you really want to have a mirrorless system then look it this, it shows you how the manual focus part works with these systems.
Take it with a bit of salt, though...

The system Sony use where it shows the part that are infocus look good and they use APS-C sensor so not different then your K20D... if only the controls are better... well you can go for a NEX7 but you can get the Pentax K5 instead for that amount...
09-21-2011, 02:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The Samsung NX100 is dirty cheap these days, and it's a really good camera...
I bought one for my wife along with the 30/2 pancake, but I found myself enjoying it quite a bit, with its extra fast liveview and good handling.
Image quality is good for the price IMO (it's the K7 sensor, in a 249€ compact camera), and I honestly can't see how a cam could be more responsive (apart from the AF, being Contrast-based, but even this point is not lacking on the NX100 IMO, AF being quite snappy even in low-light conditions)...
The K7 was boo-ed for its sensor, but frankly, at this price point, you'd be hard-pressed to find anything remotely approaching, IQ-wise...

When I say extra fast Liveview, I mean the thing is really instantaneous! Puts our DSLRs to shame, the more so as they share the same sensor!

An official samsung PK adapter is available (109€, all manual of course), nice thing is that it has a built-in aperture coupler that allows you to use your lenses as those pre-set soviet lenses (the lens' aperture ring to set the aperture, the adapter's to effectively stop-down prior to the photo). It can even handle rather nicely those DA lenses lacking an aperture ring, as the aperture coupler is notched for every stop.

Manual focusing can be aided either by a 2x zoom (which is sufficient to gauge focus IMO), or by displaying a small green bar representing the amount of in-focus details currently in the center brackets. Quite easy to use, but not the focus peaking feature of Sony, either.

Last edited by dlacouture; 09-21-2011 at 02:41 AM.
09-21-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
Planning to have a 'backup' camera. It must be the one that will take full advantage of my manual K mount lenses. The Q is still unreachable for me, so any other suggestion?
I've owned two different m4/3's bodies, a Sony NEX-3 and I've pre-ordered the NEX-7. My advice is if you're looking to build a system with native lenses I'd go m4/3's, however if adapting Pentax K-mount glass is your goal then I'd go NEX. I personally just think the 1.5x crop factor is better for adapting lenses. On m4/3's most any lens you adapt is going to become a telephoto. However on NEX you can use any of the readily available and cheap 28mm or 35mm lenses and have a nice standard prime.

If interested here are some shots I made with a NEX-3 adpapting a Pentax-M 28mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, and one shot using a Pentax-M 135mm f/3.5 (I don't recommend that lens).
09-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have leaned toward the NEX also, but the absence of in-body shake reduction doubt me. Is it really that significant?
09-21-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have leaned toward the NEX also, but the absence of in-body shake reduction doubt me. Is it really that significant?
Turn of the SR with the K20D and you will see.
09-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

SR is nice to have of course, but if you get the new NEX 5N it's usable up to ISO12,800. IMO as sensors keep on improving SR becomes less and less important. However, if you mainly use telephoto lenses then perhaps you might disagree. However I don't personally care one way or the other anymore since I can easily shoot at ISO3200 with most modern cameras.

09-22-2011, 04:51 AM   #9

I have a NEX-5 and I almost always using it with Pentax K Adapter and one of my K mount lenses (only got one NEX native lens, the 16mm one). In my experience, not having SR sometimes shows its toll. Not always but it happens. But on the other hand, with NEX-5 I can easily control the shutter speed to be high enough not to cause shaking. In fact, it's easier than on my K-x. I found my K-x often selects higher than necessary shutter speeds.

If you don't care about video or EVF, get NEX-3 with 16mm lens, it's the cheapest option. If you do you might want to get NEX-5N.

Disclaimer about Sony though, Sony doesn't care about compatibility as much as Pentax, and they care a lot about product differentiation, even for the slightest bits. Meaning, don't expect new accessories will fit existing models and don't expect current accessories will fit future models.
Also, you better read the spec of each model carefully so you won't regret not having features that is available in other models.
09-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #10

I recently got an Olympus E-PL2. Prices have been marked down and I like it. I end up taking more pics because it's easy to carry. Waiting on an adapter now for my k mount lenses. Also I bought an auto 110 with 18,24,50 and 70mm lenses plust the adapter for that. Lots of fun.
09-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm impressed by the Samsung + 30mm pancake. Sony needs a 30ish mm pancake (or small) lens to interest me tbh. That's where I take my pictures especially when out traveling. PanOly look nice but I'm not a fan of the 2x crop since it further distances my Pentax lenses from my favorite lengths. But there is a 20mm (40mm equivalent) pancake that would work well for me.
09-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #12
Banned

My Pentax lenses work great on my Panasonic GH2 and GH1. I paid $375 for the GH1 w/14-42 OIS zoom from Panasonic direct in January.