Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2011, 04:17 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Thoughts on improving the Q

(The previous thread has now been closed, but because my comments are about the Q and how it might develop, I have placed this note here so that readers can refer to the closed thread. I would be equally happy if the moderator moved this and the original Q on Steroids thread to the forum for other cameras. This reply contains no references to cameras other than the Pentax Q)

Your points are very well made, Scot, and give an excellent in-depth analysis of important technical issues. Thank you for going into the subject in such detail – I learned a good deal from reading and then re-reading your text.

And as Devorama pointed out, PASM is a real strength in the Q

Because I‘m a Pentaxian I want to buy a quality compact Pentax with certain key features. The Q ticks almost all the boxes and I agree a K>Q adaptor would add long range functionality and, for me, some fun with existing lenses for relatively little outlay.

For me the critical drawback is a lack of built in viewfinder, but I will be in a minority here. I would prefer a clip on flash like the old Auto110, to the Q’s clip on viewfinder because I use a viewfinder 95% of thetime and a built in flash hardly at all. Maybe some of your workarounds, Scott, would persuade me otherwise – do let us know more on this in due course please.

If Pentax bring out an alternative version of the Q, one that ticks this last EVF box,then I will buy one. I really do want a discrete pocketable camera for the times when I have to leave the K-5 at home. I might even go for the existing Q model provided that each lens was accompanied with an appropriate viewfinder, but Ican’t see this happening, especially for a zoom lens.

The Q is a jewel of a camera, and I do wish Pentax every success with it ….. and it successor, the Q-i!

Last edited by ronniemac; 09-22-2011 at 01:50 AM.
09-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Technicals aside (I leave that to the engineers), what I'd like to see in a mirrorless compact from Pentax is this:

Sized somewhere between the Olympus EP3 and Fuji X100.
Uses SAME MOUNT as existing Pentax dSLRs to take advantage of all their great pancake primes that already exist!
Built-in or clip-on EVF.
APS-C Sensor like the K-5, with great dynamic range and high ISO performance.

I think if they put out something like that it would be a winner!
09-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although this is not presently on my list of https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/158161...-one-wait.html
I seriously think that there should be a viewfinder in the next (maybe?) installment of this cute camera.

Totally agreed on being able to use the K-mount glass as well, at least have the same mount.

JP
09-21-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

I agree with ronniemac - a view finder is a must have. I'm foregoing the Q due to the lack of a view finder. There is so much light here in Arizona that no back LCD is bright enough to be useable in lieu of a view finder.

Pentax was in forefront during several years with compact zoom film cameras with a zoom viewfinder so they know how to make 'em. Granted, these viewfinders weren't 100% accurate (far from) but they sure beat an LCD screen that you cannot see!

09-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 to the viewfinder. I handled a Q for the first time the other day.
It is a lovely little thing, but it is too small.
Add a little height for a finder (unfortunately, it would have to be an EVF), and even a bit wider wouldn't hurt this camera.
Everything else about it I liked well enough. The lenses are really cute.
09-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Solution to the viewfinder.

Get a hood loupe.
09-22-2011, 04:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A folding hood lupe would be fantastic. Copy one of the many tlr cameras that had folding hood wih magnifier. It would let us see the lcd in bright light and protect the screen when closed.
thanks
barondla

Check out the point & shoot contest winners in compact camera forum. Enter #46. Any brand camera. Enter now!

09-22-2011, 06:12 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Solution to the viewfinder.

Get a hood loupe.
Nope, that isn't a solution, that is a kludge.
Some people don't like holding a camera at arms length to take a picture. The hood does nothing to address that.
09-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Viewfinder would indeed be nice, maybe they can make one like in the Leica M9?
Also much faster lenses, they should be able to go past f/1 with the Q mount.
Maybe then some stop making complains about the lack of DOF and image quality because with such a low f-ratio you will hardly need to go past ISO800.

Last edited by Anvh; 09-22-2011 at 07:56 AM.
09-26-2011, 03:09 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Viewfinder would indeed be nice, maybe they can make one like in the Leica M9?
Also much faster lenses, they should be able to go past f/1 with the Q mount.
Maybe then some stop making complains about the lack of DOF and image quality because with such a low f-ratio you will hardly need to go past ISO800.
As the Q isn't a rangefinder, I doubt this will happen anytime soon.
09-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robbie_d Quote
As the Q isn't a rangefinder, I doubt this will happen anytime soon.
We can always dream right

I've no idea what kind of contacts the Q mount actually has, does someone know here?
09-27-2011, 02:15 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Some people don't like holding a camera at arms length to take a picture. The hood does nothing to address that.
In fact, it actually 'reforms' that stability triangle between hands and head.
09-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Hi Wheatfield,

I think that pinholecam was referring to the Hoodman Hood Loupe:
HoodLoupe 3.0 (PATENT US 7,386,229 B2 and 7,034,877)-Hoodman Corporation

Certainly a workaround, perhaps not elegant, and it is not a very compact solution if mounted on the camera with straps or such, but definitely solves the arms' length hold. I'm probably going to use my Hood Loupe when using the Q on a tripod mounted lens where compact doesn't matter, but am still trying to figure out the best way to use one with a Q in handheld situations where the camera needs to be deployed quickly. I have a few ideas, but am waiting for the dual lens kit and K>Q adapter before I buy a Q, so I can only guess how well they'd work in real life. . .

I'm an OVF user, and never use LV with my DSLRs that have it. The Q is the first camera where the lack of a VF is offset with enough potential advantages to make working around the VF thing worthwhile.

Scott
09-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
I agree with ronniemac - a view finder is a must have. I'm foregoing the Q due to the lack of a view finder. There is so much light here in Arizona that no back LCD is bright enough to be useable in lieu of a view finder.

Pentax was in forefront during several years with compact zoom film cameras with a zoom viewfinder so they know how to make 'em. Granted, these viewfinders weren't 100% accurate (far from) but they sure beat an LCD screen that you cannot see!
This is a good point regarding ambient light levels and not being able to see an LCD screen. of course you can get an optional Viewfinder for the Q, but it's 250 shekels thus making the Q 850 shekels, and sending the price from exorbitant to absurd.

IIRC the viewfinder onyl works with some of the Q's lenses too. Is that correct?
09-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I would like to have the Auto ISO Parameter settings that are in the K-5, the ability to set the camera to prefer a "slow" ISO over a 1:1 Focal-Length/Shutter-Speed calculation. The Q has very effective SR, it can safely be used at slower shutter-speeds than the meter recommends.