Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-21-2011, 06:13 AM   #16

thanks devorama,
as exif viewer PhotoMe says, Camera operates in P-TTL Flashmode, but the adjustments of the dial of the flash doesnt do anything, so this would only happen in TTL-Mode (OP-Manual).
Will test another flash next week, if the error still exists the pentax Q is defective or the lenses.

Maybe the software....?
Has anybody a link to download the original firmware?

I will give a feedback then.

10-24-2011, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Hi All,

If anyone is looking for a very compact external flash for the Q, you might consider the Sunpak PF20XD. Unfortunately no bounce capability, but it's only 2.3 x 3.1 x 1.1" (58 x 78 x 29mm), weighs 3.5 oz (100g), and takes 2 AAA batteries, so these add very little weight. It has a GN of 20m (ISO 100) with a 24mm (35 EQ) coverage, and there is a built in diffusion panel that slides up to cover the flash's lens. To get an idea of how small this flash is, it's a tiny bit thicker, about the same height, and about 4/5 of the width of the Q body. At $37.50, it's very affordable, and surprisingly versatile.

Sunpak PF20XD Auto/Manual Digital Slave Flash PF20XD B&H Photo

It can be used as a hotshoe mounted flash in manual mode with full power, 1/4, 1/8,1/16, and 1/32 settings, Auto Thyristor mode with f2.8, f4, and f5.6 aperture settings, and can also be set up to be used as a remote optical slave, triggered by the popup flash on the camera (it can ignore the P-TTL preflash and fire on the exposure flash). When used as a slave, it can also self meter in the Auto mode. Recovery after a full discharge is about 5 seconds with fully charged hybrid NiMH batteries.

When using the flash as an off-camera slave, if you want to block the popup flash from contributing to the exposure, you can make an IR pass filter to cover the popup by using some of the exposed and processed leader (the black part) from 35mm color negative film. This will block the visible spectrum but allow enough IR light to get to the slave to trigger it (within a reasonable distance, and with the slave positioned in line-of-sight, of course).

As devorama noted, since this is not a dedicated flash, the Q does not automatically sense it, so the popup flash has to be turned off in the flash menu for the Sunpak to fire, and the flash will not fire if the shutter speed is faster than 1/250 with a Quality Line lens.

I had bought two of these to use as digital slaves for macro work a few years ago, and it didn't occur to me for quite a while to use them with the Q , but they work just fine. With 2 as remote slaves, I actually can set up micro (pocketable) studio type lighting for portraits, or set up the slaves in two corners of a small room, bounce them off the ceiling, and light up a small room for parties and such, and with the popup flash blocked as described above, I won't be blinding people with a flash directly in their faces. I've used both of mine pretty extensively since I bought them, and have found them reliable and sturdy.

I've just played with mine briefly with the Q, but the 1/32 setting seems to be low enough for macro distances, and with the flash on the Auto3 setting, the diffuser deployed, and shoe mounted, using ISO 125, f5 (instead of f5.6) and 1/250 (with a Quality Line lens) with the Q in manual mode exposes pretty well for most normal indoor distances.

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; 10-24-2011 at 02:32 PM.
10-25-2011, 11:42 PM   #18

So,
the new (2nd) Pentax AF 200FG Flash is arrived, problems are the same, only with F8 the pictures are good, the Dial on the Flash doesn´t do anything.
Think, my Q is defect.
But i won´t send it to Pentax, because they say, 2-3 weeks waiting time.
Maybe i speek with my dealer to change one on one, later, because i wanna play a little with the cam. Maybe, i sell the Q or put it in the vitrine....
Thanks all.

By the way: One time, after shooting the camera turned off, the power button didnt react and I had to put the battery out and in again......anyone else?

Greetings
Alfred
11-17-2011, 04:45 AM   #19

Everything is fine now

Hello everybody,
my Pentax Q now was at the Service, they load the new firmware without testing it before, but after new Firmware installed, no error was found.
Yesterday the cam arrived and i tested the flash with several Apertures.
The Pictures with the AF200FG Flash were really good exposed, no overexposure, maybe a little to dark sometimes, but overall 1000% better than before.

Maybe, the old firmware wasnt clean installed, but now everything is ok. Only the lock of the flash is exactly above the ON/OFF switch.

Thank you for reading,
bye

11-17-2011, 05:58 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad you got the camera and flash working properly. Never tried the af200 but my af540 worked fine before and after the update. It is kind of big for the Q. Thanks for reporting your results.
thanks
barondla