Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
What pentax really need to do asap is release a K mount to Q adapter. That would help solve that issue.

It will be interesting to see what the results are once Lenstip, photozone, slrgear etc do some Q lens tests. I suspect the standard non-Toy lenses are probably very good optically.

After all, I'm seeing those standard Q lenses (not the Toy lenses) in eBay stores now for AUD$400 or so ... If price is any guide, they can't be that bad.
The problem is that all of the K Mount lenses act like either telephoto to super-telephotos on the Q, so they didn't really fill in any hole there might be in the line up.

09-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The problem is that all of the K Mount lenses act like either telephoto to super-telephotos on the Q, so they didn't really fill in any hole there might be in the line up.
It's not going to fill any holes on the wide end but it sure is going to fill some holes on the long end. The zoom lens only goes to 83mm equivalent. Thats not going to keep the bird watchers and peeping toms happy? Wide zooms become a long zoom and wide primes become a long prime. Anyone know what the crop factor on this is?

Edit: Found it. Crop factor seems to be 5.5x. a 28mm becomes a 154mm, 50mm becomes a 275mm, a 28-80mm becomes a 154-440mm. It would be interesting to see how fast they act. Does the speed stay the same? Would a 50mm 1.4 become a 275mm 1.4 and would a 135mm 2.8 become a 742mm 2.8?

Last edited by ripit; 09-28-2011 at 02:30 PM.
09-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #18
Site Supporter

In the wide end, i have some hope with CCTV C and CS lenses...
09-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

There are already k to Q adapters available

Yeah I can't see the point either. The Q is meant to be small. I'm sure they'll add further lenses. But the current lineup looks fine for the Q's probable intended uses.

09-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
It's not going to fill any holes on the wide end but it sure is going to fill some holes on the long end. The zoom lens only goes to 83mm equivalent. Thats not going to keep the bird watchers and peeping toms happy? Wide zooms become a long zoom and wide primes become a long prime. Anyone know what the crop factor on this is?

Edit: Found it. Crop factor seems to be 5.5x. a 28mm becomes a 154mm, 50mm becomes a 275mm, a 28-80mm becomes a 154-440mm. It would be interesting to see how fast they act. Does the speed stay the same? Would a 50mm 1.4 become a 275mm 1.4 and would a 135mm 2.8 become a 742mm 2.8?
Yes it does. Only the DOF is affected by the crop factor.
So 50/1.4 becomes a 275/1.4 (in terms of light gathering), stop down to f2.8 to f4 for sharpness and in theory its a pretty small niffy telephoto.
Couple it with a 100/2.8 macro, and you get a 550/2.8 macro. Again, in theory, you don't need to stop down as much but gain more DOF (a good thing for macro); don't need to waste so much flash power and in fact take in more ambient light; larger magnification as well so long as the lens has the resolution.

I'm certainly waiting for the price to drop on the Q, then I'm quite sure I will get one.
03-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
Would a 50mm 1.4 become a 275mm 1.4 and would a 135mm 2.8 become a 742mm 2.8?
No.

Whenever you want to know what the equivalent FF lenses are, you need to multiply the focal length as well as the widest aperture with the crop factor.

In terms of lens speed it depends how you define "light gathering". In terms of exposure (light density, e.g., cd/mm^2), you do not need to modify the f-ratios.

In terms of gathering of total light, however, you need to convert the f-ratios. The total light gathered by an f/1.4 lens on the Q is just a fraction of the total light gathered by an f/1.4 lens on FF.

Since image quality depends on total light gathered rather than on exposure, I think it is misleading in using exposure as a measure for lens speed (when a format change is involved).

Have you seen the Sonnetar 25/1.1 sample images? AFAIC, they don't look like f/2 images, neither in terms of DOF, nor in terms of speed (-> noise).
03-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I'm glad people like it...I just don't get it. The S100 consistently beats the Q regarding IQ in reviews, and is a lot cheaper. Oh well.
03-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #23
Pentaxian

He likes the V1 more

QuoteQuote:
UPDATE – I ende dup LOVING the Nikon V1 and at $849 with lens, Id take the V1 over the Q no question.

03-08-2012, 05:21 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
t
2. High ISO can get noisy after 1000
That's nevertheless something new for 1/2.33 sensors - they used to get noisy after ISO 100...
03-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
What pentax really need to do asap is release a K mount to Q adapter. That would help solve that issue.

It will be interesting to see what the results are once Lenstip, photozone, slrgear etc do some Q lens tests. I suspect the standard non-Toy lenses are probably very good optically.

After all, I'm seeing those standard Q lenses (not the Toy lenses) in eBay stores now for AUD$400 or so ... If price is any guide, they can't be that bad.
I have a K adaptor for the Q. It's a fun toy, but because of the size of the camera (and size of the sensor), every lens you put on the thing is a telephoto, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but also huge compared to the body.
The people who mention that the camera needs more lenses make a valid point, but it is an equally valid point for the 645 digital (really crappy lens line at the moment since there isn't even a standard lens available, just a couple of wides), and the DSLR line, which still has gaping holes).
The people who complain about the price want their small cameras to have a crappy build. The Q is not a cheap plastic camera, it's made to a higher standard than the K5 ( no QC issues, apparently).
The Q is certainly not a high ISO camera, which puts it squarely in the same league as the K7 or K20, and it's low ISO performance is more than acceptable.
03-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

all good points wheat, but the 55 is the standard lens for the 645D taking into account the crop factor on the sensor. that being said they need to make more 645 lenses available (I know some of the old designs are still sold in Japan but that doesn't help in the rest of the world - getting it into prop shops in major centers would help as well - i've yet to physically see one in a shop here in Toronto and I hit the big shops fairly regularly. AFAIK Henrys is the only local shop listing it - though Downtown camera would order it - and it's not even in the biggest pro shop in the city Vistek which is insane since they have a lot of MF digital product (maybe they didn't want to kill their low end Phase Mamiya sales)

As for the Q don't they have new lenses coming on the Q roadmap
03-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
all good points wheat, but the 55 is the standard lens for the 645D taking into account the crop factor on the sensor. that being said they need to make more 645 lenses available (I know some of the old designs are still sold in Japan but that doesn't help in the rest of the world
I don't know what's wrong with the 645 system and North America - the lenses seem to be available in Europe. Here we can choose between the "perfect normal" 55mm (43mm equivalent) or the slightly long normal 75mm (58mm equivalent) - or the different zooms covering the normal range.
03-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I don't know what's wrong with the 645 system and North America - the lenses seem to be available in Europe. Here we can choose between the "perfect normal" 55mm (43mm equivalent) or the slightly long normal 75mm (58mm equivalent) - or the different zooms covering the normal range.
It's really a north america thing then (Pentax USA is the big hindrance. Pentax canada is pretty good but given the entiore canadian market is the size of NYC it doesn't surprise me they aren't bringing everything in. they have barely any dealers for the 645 though aren't bad on the rest of the lineup
03-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I must say his sample photos looks AMAZING ! no less, he obviously a very good photographer and knows how to use his cameras . but it is for sure it shows that the camera is more then capable