Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I guess there's little point in getting the adapter if you have zero need to shoot long focal lengths?

12-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
I guess there's little point in getting the adapter if you have zero need to shoot long focal lengths?
That and macro. But I enjoy both so
12-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm thinking about getting a Q mainly for super-long range shots with K lenses like my 55-300 and maybe even my 500mm f8 Tair mirror lens. Of course, it would need some sort of support and neither of those lenses have a tripod mount, so I'm thinking a beanbag rig of some sort might be handy.

Anyhoo, is it even practical to shoot with a Q for such staggeringly long range shots? Anyone done it with success? Could you even focus with an f8 lens?
12-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I'm thinking about getting a Q mainly for super-long range shots with K lenses like my 55-300 and maybe even my 500mm f8 Tair mirror lens. Of course, it would need some sort of support and neither of those lenses have a tripod mount, so I'm thinking a beanbag rig of some sort might be handy.

Anyhoo, is it even practical to shoot with a Q for such staggeringly long range shots? Anyone done it with success? Could you even focus with an f8 lens?
If you get a third party adapter like the Fotodiox, it has a tripod foot and aperture control for DA lenses, but not a leaf shutter. It is a lot cheaper also. That way, you mount the adapter on the tripod and it works quite well. One major issue you will find with long telephotos will be locating the subject. It takes very precise movement to find it in a distance. It works much better with a zoom, where you locate the subject at 55mm, center it and then zoom to the 300 end. With a 500 mm lens you will need some sort of external optical help to be fairly close to the location and then go back and forth until it is in the view.

Using a mirror lens is quite fun. I tried briefly my Tamron SP 500 F8 mirror with promising results; I could focus just fine, the focus peaking helps a lot. You absolutely need a tripod though.

12-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by demp10 Quote
I tried briefly my Tamron SP 500 F8 mirror with promising results;
Post some samples in the 'reach of the Q' thread
12-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Post some samples in the 'reach of the Q' thread
Will do once I have some free time after Christmas.
12-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #22
Veteran Member

If you get a third party adapter like the Fotodiox, it has a tripod foot and aperture control for DA lenses, but not a leaf shutter. It is a lot cheaper also.
Great info. Thanks! - I'm assuming there's no aperture lever control with these things, so on a variable-aperture lens, you probably need to focus wide open, stop down & shoot. Actually, I'm thinking my old Tamron SP 60-300 might be better than the 55-300 for the Q, since it already has an aperture ring AND a really good macro mode built in.

I really gotta get a Q. :-)
12-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #23

so one more question- would the image stabilizer need to be turned off to use these lenses , that become long--- need to be used on a tripod ?

12-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #24
Pentaxian

One major issue you will find with long telephotos will be locating the subject. It takes very precise movement to find it in a distance. It works much better with a zoom, where you locate the subject at 55mm, center it and then zoom to the 300 end. With a 500 mm lens you will need some sort of external optical help to be fairly close to the location and then go back and forth until it is in the view.
Hi demp10,

A number of members are using Red Dot Sights mounted on a Photosolve Xtend a Sight mount that fits in the flash hotshoe for finding subjects. There are a lot of reasonably priced sight options, and for me, it's the best way to go.

Scott
12-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi demp10,

A number of members are using Red Dot Sights mounted on a Photosolve Xtend a Sight mount that fits in the flash hotshoe for finding subjects. There are a lot of reasonably priced sight options, and for me, it's the best way to go.

Scott
Thanks Scott, I'll give it a try.

Demetri
12-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
so one more question- would the image stabilizer need to be turned off to use these lenses , that become long--- need to be used on a tripod ?
You definitely need a tripod to use such a long lens. SR should be OFF since on tripod. It also helps a lot to use a remote control. Even if you breath closely to a 500mm lens the image on the LCD will move a bit.
12-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Great info. Thanks! - I'm assuming there's no aperture lever control with these things, so on a variable-aperture lens, you probably need to focus wide open, stop down & shoot.
Hi Gibby I usually focus stopped down because unlike a DSLR the screen is always bright and compensates for a dim view, but on some hard to focus images focus peaking seems to work better with a shallow DOF

Hans
12-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #28

so the standard pentax wireless remote works ok for the q ?
12-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Great info. Thanks! - I'm assuming there's no aperture lever control with these things, so on a variable-aperture lens, you probably need to focus wide open, stop down & shoot. Actually, I'm thinking my old Tamron SP 60-300 might be better than the 55-300 for the Q, since it already has an aperture ring AND a really good macro mode built in.

I really gotta get a Q. :-)
You are correct. There is no aperture lever on the adapter. Mine has an Open-Close ring with clicks that can be used for aperture control for DA lenses and also like the old M42 Auto/Manual switches if you rotate it all the way from open to close.

Depending on how far you want to stop the lens you may just focus with the actual f-stop. The LCD is very bright and adjusts as the image gets dimmer. Most lenses will need to be closed 1 or 2 stops at the most, so that's not that bad. Obviously you will get a more accurate focus wide open since the DOF will be shallower.

I do have the Tamron SP 60-300 but did not try it yet. I tried the Tokina AT-X 150-500 and worked OK, although the entire setup looked rather funny.
12-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
so the standard pentax wireless remote works ok for the q ?
Yes, I use the one I got for my K10D.