Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax, please fix these things in a firmware update!

So I bought the Q right off the bat and overall I love it. But there are just a few things that could be fixed in a firmware update that would make the Q even better. They relate to manual control of the camera.

1. Fix the external flash handling.
The fact that I can only activate a flash trigger or a manual flash is to disable the flash when closed AND set the flash to OFF is really confusing.

For some reason I cannot use my PTTL flash in manual mode on the Q.

A manual flash or flash trigger will NOT fire when a Q lens is not attached. That means I can't use my manual flash with a C-mount lens. This is a big downer!

Flash sync with electronic shutter of 1/13 sec is a bit of a letdown. Any chance this can be improved?

2. Make it nicer for adapted lenses.
It would be nice to enable the image stabilization for adapted lenses. Like on my K-r, if it doesn't detect the lens, it asks you to input a focal length for the stabilization configuration.

3. Make the front dial function more configurable. Allow combinations of settings to be saved on the dial instead of just one category.

4. Compressed DNG files instead of the HUGE ones we get now.

Did I miss anything? I'm not trying to sound too negative on the Q here. I really love the camera. But it has a few limitations that can be fixed in firmware. Please, Pentax! Remember how Sony addressed the NEX usability problems with a firmware update? We need that kind of love here.

10-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #2

I just received my Pentax Q today and am still playing around with it and the fish eye lens. I've found a lot of interesting things about the camera and am adjusting the settings towards what I would like to do.

I agree that Pentax could offer even more capabilities with a firmware update, such as allowing each mode ( M, P, AV, TV ) to store it's own Auto/Manual focus setting including the AF style. Maybe allow it t. Actually this might already exist but I need to read the manual. There was some "Memory" item in the menu that I wasn't sure what it exactly did. Overall though, camera is amazing. Quality of images are great in JPEG and ISO is good up to 3200( may need some NR ). Will have to shoot in RAW tonight and see how the images change. I'm going to do a IQ test between my K-x and Q later on and see who "wins".

Only other issue I've ran into is my flash not using PTTL mode. Going to see if there's something I can do to fix that or maybe my flash needs a firmware update that hopefully comes along. Otherwise I can always put my flash in Automatic or Manual mode but would be nice in PTTL mode. I heard there were some prototype flash triggers that were being made as well for the camera.
10-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Of those items, I'd say they will definitely fix the dng issue, as they did with the k5
10-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After using a Q for a week, I have to agree. Able to use SR on C-mount lenses would be great. And the front dial could be more useful for raw-shooters.

10-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
How large are the DNG files?
10-05-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by laurentiu cristofor Quote
how large are the dng files?
20-23 mb
10-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Add Auto-ISO in manual mode, for Q or adapted lenses.
I'm really missing TAv mode on this thing...

10-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Better AWB please
10-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, also, the brightness of the screen does not reflect anything about the expected exposure when shooting in M mode. Also the histogram does not reflect the manual settings unless they are the metered correct exposure.