Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2011, 06:47 AM   #1

Pentax Q advertising

Hi Pentaxians !

I saw in French women magazines (like "Elle"), that they are advertising the Pentax Q, clearly targeting women.

I was shopping yesterday with my wife (who is not interested in pictures and cameras) and we passed by several camera shops.

When my wife saw the Q, she said "Whaw, I love it, it's so tiny, if I have a camera one day, it should be this one".
When she saw this advertising in Elle, we discussed the fact that they really are targeting women, and it's probably a good strategy (even though many men will buy it and be happy with it)...

I have two comments about that :

- even though a woman (or any customer) can be attracted by the size and the design of the Q, if she is not really interested by pictures, she might be disappointed by the fact that it is rather complicated (shifting lenses, M mode, if you remain in "Auto" with the kit zoom, better buy a compact)

- this advertising targeting women (probably beginners in photography, because if they already are photographers, they might be interested by the Q as a second body like any other photographer and will be probably more receptive to advertisements targeting all photographers than women exclusively in "Elle") might be more efficient with those who already have Pentaxian friends or relatives. If you don't have any Pentaxians among father / mother / friend / husband / son / daughter / colleagues, you will probably buy a Fuji X100, Sony Nex or Nikon V1, and not a Pentax Q. Unless this ad is exceptionally successful.

However, I still think it is a rather smart marketing strategy from Pentax...

10-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Luin Gor Quote
If you don't have any Pentaxians among father / mother / friend / husband / son / daughter / colleagues, you will probably buy a Fuji X100, Sony Nex or Nikon V1, and not a Pentax Q.
I think this second point is less valid than the first one. The V1 may be competition for the Q, but if what attracts people is the look, they won't be able to get it elsewhere. And the X100 is a totally different camera from the Q.
10-10-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

A little off topic. But panasonic GF3 is the worlds smallest SLR (obviously including both dslr and slr when expressing it as they do) in the world according to their advertising. I don't know why I'm bothered, but obvious false marketing, probably illegal.

lumixgf3.com
10-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
A little off topic. But panasonic GF3 is the worlds smallest SLR (obviously including both dslr and slr when expressing it as they do) in the world according to their advertising. I don't know why I'm bothered, but obvious false marketing, probably illegal.

lumixgf3.com
I am not sure if I agree with you... the GF3 is not smaller than the Q.. I was in Japan and handle one of those.. the Q is by far the better looking by design and smaller in the hand.

10-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

A little off topic. But panasonic GF3 is the worlds smallest SLR...
It's not an SLR to begin with.
10-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I am not sure if I agree with you... the GF3 is not smaller than the Q.. I was in Japan and handle one of those.. the Q is by far the better looking by design and smaller in the hand.
According to Panasonic, not me.
10-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to Panasonic, not me.
Sorry, I misread your post; you meant Panasonic ad was false.. well, they could be at the time before the Pentax Q was released.
10-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
the GF3 is not smaller than the Q.
Indeed: