Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

While it's highly likely both B&H and Adorama in New York City have the Q in stock, I psrsonally got to play with one at Cameraland at 575 Lexington Ave. near 51st Street. I have to say, the Q was a delight to hold. The tiny camera has some heft and really felt like a quality piece. It looks better in person - particularly in black - as well. As for image quality, I can't tell you other than images I've seen on the web. Still, sensor technology marchs on and it would be nice to think that the Q could at least match the output of the premium compacts of a few years ago - maybe like an LX3? But given the fact that my second kit is micro four-thirds, I can't see myself buying a Q anytime soon.

10-15-2011, 08:27 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
I have both K-x and Q myself and in daylight, Q is as good as K-x regarding image quality.
I have some images taken with Q here, Pentax Q - Heime. Click on "Full størrelse" below each image to see a larger version.
Wow - love the mushroom shot. Thanks for the link, you've put the Q to good use in a hurry.
11-07-2011, 05:39 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Hello,
this thread move up to share my yesterday finding with Silkypix Pro 4, in it's last updated version (4.1.5.2) : the RAW files shot with std prime 01 are automatically corrected (at least distosion) by the software : a very nice idea !
11-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #19
Veteran Member

For reference, I've owned or own a K-m, K-x, K-r, K20D, and K-5. I own a Q now. I have a "premium" P&S in the Olympus XZ-1. I have owned a Sony NEX-5 and Panasonic G2 but have sold them both.

It sounds like the Q is exactly the camera you're looking for. It's extremely portable, has interchangeable lenses, and has the level of control you're looking for. The Q is kind of a camera of extremes, so really it depends on your priorities.

Pros:
very small and portable
interchangeable lenses (and possibility to adapt a lot of lenses)
great build quality
SLR level of control

Cons:
Expensive
Image quality of sensor is not beyond high end P&S cameras
lens selection is currently limited

I used to have a Sony NEX-5 because I wanted a mirrorless camera with the best sensor. But it was NOT a fun camera to use. It was a bit too big and the interface was really terrible. Worse than my P&S camera. The Panasonic G2 I owned was kind of an in-between solution. I felt it was 80% of the size of my K-r with 80% of the quality. But that made it not really much of an alternative to me. It was too close in size and function to my K-r to justify owning both. What the Q offers with its extremely small size is a new option all together. Yes, you can compare other mirrorless systems on cost, but nothing is in this size class. And if you already have a K-x, the interface will be second nature to you.

As for image quality, it does fall behind a DSLR at the same ISO. The fast kit lens helps. But really on a pure sensor based judgement, it's 2-3 stops noisier than a K-x. If you shoot base ISO in good light, you can still print some great 8x10 pictures. But to be honest, I don't bring the Q when I'm shooting a low-light event. For that I've got a K-5 and a fast prime. If you shoot mainly outside in good light or with flash, your images will be very pleasing. Or shoot some B&W photos at ISO 800 or 1600. But if you are a high ISO shooter, you will possibly be disappointed.

The kit lens is very good, but keep in mind it's almost a 50mm "normal" field of view. You mentioned you liked a slightly zoomed in view, so it should be fine for you. When taking picture of 2 people, you'll find yourself stepping back sometimes. This is personal preference, but I'd have preferred a 35mm equivalent. Of course you could buy the nice zoom lens for more options.

Since your main priorities are size and controls, I'd recommend the Q. If your priorities were price and high ISO, I'd recommend a NEX-3.

11-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

If you can forgo the lens interchangeability, you may consider trying out the Fuji X10: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilmx10/

video preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=evY9fmF_RE4

Last edited by systemA; 11-07-2011 at 05:24 PM.
11-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #21
mel
Veteran Member

For me the deciding factor was the raw file format being .dng. This meant I didn't have to drop a bunch more money upgrading to LR3 and CS5.
11-10-2011, 01:46 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I'm happy

I got the Q 2 days ago as a present from my wife
(The kit with the prime and the 5-15mm zoom)

Can't say anything else as that I'm very pleased and suprised with this little fellow!
Image quality is good, handling is okay (even for a guy with rather bighands like me )

So far I only can name one thing I dont like....I miss the viewfinder

Henk
BTW: I own a K20D, DA17-70, DA12-24, Sigma 70macro as well...

11-10-2011, 05:18 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the family henkvanzulen. The Q is a wonderful and fun camera to use. It is a take anywhere camera with lots of potential. You will enjoy it a lot.

Wow, what a wife. She got you a Q and two lenses! You are so lucky.
thanks
barondla
11-10-2011, 09:35 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

For my birthday yesterday my wife bought me the Q-Zoom.
11-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Happy birthday wheatfield! Wow, what a wife. The Q #02 zoom is cool. Didn't cotton to it at first because of big size ( for a Q lens) and less light gathering power. Now I love it. It is a sharp lens. Hope they release #06 tele zoom someday soon. Have fun with the camera and lens.

thanks
barondla

Every camera crops the world.
11-10-2011, 11:04 PM   #26
Pentaxian

For me I guess that most of the time the prime will be on my Q....it makes the camera so perfect for streetphotography!
The zoom I use a liitle less, but I'm glad I've it. It has a nice range and is quite sharp!
11-10-2011, 11:55 PM   #27
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by knightzerox Quote
Again, I'm not sure what the X100 is capable of in low light compared to the K-x and how much flexibility it would give in the same conditions.
The X100 is better than the K-x and I'm not even sure why it gets compared to the Q or called a p&s. For that matter, I don't understand why the Q is getting compared to the K-x either.
11-11-2011, 12:52 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
The X100 is better than the K-x and I'm not even sure why it gets compared to the Q or called a p&s. For that matter, I don't understand why the Q is getting compared to the K-x either.
Me neither....the Q should be compared to the Fuji compact X10 or a Pen for example in my opinion.
At least not to a DSLR!

Edit:
what pops up in my mind when I read all the posts about the Q.....why talk so much about this (or about any other item)
If you own one, use it and be happy with it.....if you don't...what's the benifit for talking about it for pages and pages?

Last edited by henkvanzuylen; 11-11-2011 at 12:59 AM.
11-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got my Q a few days ago! All I have to say is I'm having so much fun with it!! Very happy so far. Great little friend for my K-5! Here is a link to my Flickr Q set:

Pentax Q - a set on Flickr
01-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the Q! I can't wait for it to ship.