Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #1

Q Lenses

What lenses other than the kit 47mm 1.9 have you tried? I really like this lens but want other fast primes.

Has Pentax talked about lenses for the Q system other than the 5 announced?

Jeremy

Last edited by jgoldstein2000; 10-15-2011 at 12:24 AM.
10-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Hello,

actually the "01 standard prime" lens is the only fully functionnal fast prime yet available.
The others are the "02 standard zoom" that i haven't tried, and the 3 fixed aperture and manual focus "toy" lens and fish-eye.
However, these dont work with all modes (P or Av are their default mode du to fixed and rather "closed" aperture) and have to day a 1/13s flash speed limitation.
I sincerely hope Pentax will issue soon at least 2 other primes like 24mm and 85mm equivalent.
10-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
Did you try any of the toy lenses or the fisheye? Anyone else try the zoom? I wish it wasn't so large.
10-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I use frequently the 3 other fixed lenses, with pleasure thanks to the x4 "lupe".
They render great when good light is available.

I didn't take the standard zoom which i found too big.

10-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #5

I have the Zoom and fish eye. The fish eye is great even though it's manual focus only and a 5.6 aperture. I use the 4x manual assist feature to make sure I get a sharp focus. I agree with Zygonyx that with good light they are nice and sharp and take great photos.

I received the Zoom yesterday and at first, like you, thought the zoom was a bit large. Compared to the toy lenses and primes it looks huge but it works very well. I used it today for a family lunch event and it came in handy having the wider focal range and ability to zoom in across the large dinner table to get a shot. Plus auto-focusing was a plus as well as people can be inpatient when you ask them to stay still for more then a few seconds. The lens seems just as high quality as the prime and although the larger size, is also a very nice addition.

I also own the Pentax CCTV 8-48mm lens which is a monster compared to the zoom but still waiting for a Q-C mount adapter to test it fully.
10-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #6

Original Poster
M-Mount

Any chance we will see an M-mount adapter for the Q. Would love to try out my 75mm voigtlander.
10-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jgoldstein2000 Quote
What lenses other than the kit 47mm 1.9 have you tried?
I've tried the fisheye and toy tele, and Ole (who's doing the Q review) currently has access to all 5.

The fisheye seemed nice but the plastic mount and lack of aperture is sort of discouraging. The IQ was decent. On the other hand, I would hardly consider the toy telephoto a lens. There's almost no glass inside of it, and it's lighter than a candy bar.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I just tested out my Pentax 6mm F/1.2 lens. It gives a nice FoV of about 33mm on a full frame. Close to a DA 21mm Ltd on an APS-C sensor.

Barrel distortion is pretty noticeable. I corrected it to a somewhat acceptable level with a +11 Distortion adjustment in Lightroom. Also, the distortion isn't easily corrected, as it's oddly shaped.

Now the bad news... Sharpness. F/1.2 is like a cameraphone with vaseline on the lens. That's NOT an exaggeration. F/2 is also VERY soft. By F/2.8, it's actually pretty acceptably sharp in the center, but the edges are still very soft. F/4 is about the same. So maybe it's field curvature.

In summary, this may be a fun lens if you can get it cheap. But the quality seems pretty low. It's like having one of the toy lenses, but faster and with an adjustable aperture.
10-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
I just tested out my Pentax 6mm F/1.2 lens. It gives a nice FoV of about 33mm on a full frame. Close to a DA 21mm Ltd on an APS-C sensor.

Barrel distortion is pretty noticeable. I corrected it to a somewhat acceptable level with a +11 Distortion adjustment in Lightroom. Also, the distortion isn't easily corrected, as it's oddly shaped.

Now the bad news... Sharpness. F/1.2 is like a cameraphone with vaseline on the lens. That's NOT an exaggeration. F/2 is also VERY soft. By F/2.8, it's actually pretty acceptably sharp in the center, but the edges are still very soft. F/4 is about the same. So maybe it's field curvature.

In summary, this may be a fun lens if you can get it cheap. But the quality seems pretty low. It's like having one of the toy lenses, but faster and with an adjustable aperture.

That's too bad. I'm hoping mine turns out to be better due to the significant price difference ($270) but if it isn't, I'll be sending mine back. I may try and do some more test shots without the adapter and see if I can get some sort or range of sharpness levels.
10-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The Computar 5mm F/1.4 lens I got for $15 on ebay is working out pretty well. It's definitely lower resolution than the included kit lens. But it's a nice wide 28ish mm FoV. And it's superior to the Pentax 6mm for sure.
10-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #11

Looks like the prices for those lenses went up.

Well I went ahead and tried to get some pictures using the lens by manually spacing it away and using a dense towel to block light around the hole. Not the best IQ I'm sure with all the leaking light, but at least I could do something. Seems to be POSSIBLE to produce very sharp images, but will want to confirm for sure once the adapter arrives. However, I noticed that the images taken at higher ISO's, or with any of the images that had noise, that the lens gave a very film-like grain to the photos. It was a very "pleasing" noise grain. Very fine but felt just like a good quality photograph. Even at higher ISO's like 6400, the grain was negligible? I'll have to take RAW versions and see what's going on but if it's true, looks like this lens might be a great low-light lens. BTW I took shots at f/1 and f/5.6 and same film-like grain occurred at high ISO's.
10-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote

I was kinda down about my 6mm lens, when I realized something. If there is field curvature for the lens, my very close focused test would tend to exaggerate those effects. I just shot a few shots with a similar FoV with my kit lens and my 6mm Pentax. The kit lens is still clearly superior, but the 6mm is actually pretty sharp in the center at F/4. Corners are soft, but depending on what you're shooting, this can be ok. Maybe I'll shoot some more controlled tests later.
10-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I've tried the fisheye and toy tele, and Ole (who's doing the Q review) currently has access to all 5.

The fisheye seemed nice but the plastic mount and lack of aperture is sort of discouraging. The IQ was decent. On the other hand, I would hardly consider the toy telephoto a lens. There's almost no glass inside of it, and it's lighter than a candy bar.
The 18mm TELE TOY still has some surprising and unique flare effect :

And also "macro" potential :

Personnaly, i am having great fun with it
10-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Compare images...

I know it's not my usual controlled test, but here's a quick and dirty comparison. Without clicking through to the full sized photos, can you spot which one was taken with the Standard 01 Prime lens and which was taken with a 6mm Pentax CCTV lens?

Both were taken at ISO 200, 1/13 sec, F/4, flash fired. These are straight out of camera.