Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Beginning photography and Q

Hey everyone... Posted awhile back about getting the K5 because I was going into college for photojournalism. I ended splurging on the Q and getting it and a complete kit, I'll post pictures of the complete kit when I get everything in, But so far I do got my black Q lenses 1 - 5 and an artisan an artist silk strap.

I got the Q because its just so james bond and after seeing the images on the net of the pics people took I was amazed and figured for being discreet and getting the story or being the minimalist that a I am in everything I do I went for it. I have also been using it for learning video too and its been so much fun. I took it to the SF Occupy Wallstreet for my first time ever using a camera in full manual. I also took some really good footage but I accidentally deleted it. I also have only been shooting in JPEG as I've heard theres barrel distortion and I can't afford lightroom right now. So if you want to see my flickr I just started it at Flickr: WanderingMonki's Photostream

I also LOVE my Q and find it a very fun camera and its teaching me a lot about photography and film, already have a fund put away for the k5 successor...

10-17-2011, 05:17 AM   #2

Congratulations on your new camera, looks like it will work perfect for what you are using it for. One thing I may suggest is to shoot in RAW+ mode to at least create the RAW file along side the JPEG. This way if you ever get lightroom to correct for the barrel distortion you will have the highest quality images available.

Overall nice photos on your Flickr stream!
10-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doesn't the included Pentax software have a RAW processor (SilkyPix I think) that can dial in lens corrections?
10-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #4

I've installed SilkyPix and I didn't see one there for lens correction. May have missed it but it's a good point, the software included should provide all the RAW processing he or she needs.

10-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ya i tried silkypix but it wont install on my macbook pro... I have no clue whats wrong... I really want to shoot in
raw...
10-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
Ya i tried silkypix but it wont install on my macbook pro... I have no clue whats wrong... I really want to shoot in
raw...

Well today's your lucky day because I'm going to save you some money and show you how to install the SilkyPix software that comes on the CD with the Pentax Q. The Mac installer is broken and will not install properly. However, there is a way to get around that. Here are the steps below:

1. Put Cd into your Mac
2. Open CD folder in Finder
3. Right-click on "PENTAX-Installer" and click "Show Package Contents"
4. A new folder will show called "Contents. Double click that Folder
5. Double-Click on "Resources" folder
6. Double-Click on "OSX" folder
7. Inside you will find a file called "SILDKDS3PTX.pkg"
8. Double-click this icon and your software installer should start and you can now install SilkPix on your Mac!
10-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow... Thank you sir...
10-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok it does have a lens distortion option in the program... Its not automatic though and i cant tell if im making it better or worse...

10-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #9

The RAW images should have a bit of a Fish-Eye effect to them but not in all cases.
10-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They def have a fisheye effect... Trying to figure out how to properly correct it in silkypix...
10-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
I got the Q because its just so james bond and after seeing the images on the net of the pics people took I was amazed and figured for being discreet and getting the story or being the minimalist that a I am in everything I do I went for it.
Ha! Now where are those people that said there is no market for the Q?