Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Macros with the Q

I adapted a Sigma 80mm 1:2 macro lens with about 5cm of extension tubes to the Q and took this picture of a dime. This is another case where the crop factor works for you instead of against you. This is the first part of "E PLURBIUS UNUM."

Is anyone else trying some extreme macros with the Q? It's almost like a microscope at such extremes.

10-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's some impressive magnification- wow!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow, super macro. I don't have a PK adapter yet but have taken some shots with 02 Q zoom and reversed Nikkor 135 enlarging lens. Will post one when I have more time.
thanks
barondla
10-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi devorama,

Nice!

I've been pretty patient waiting for a K>Q adapter to become available from a US seller, but this just stirs the old QBA, so I decided to go the K>C + C>Q route and have ordered both adapters. Tele and macro are the main reasons why I wanted a Q, and I can't wait to play with some of my K lenses on the Q.

Scott

10-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #5

I have a Raynox macro lens in which I took some shots with the Q's prime. I'll try taking one of a dime as well and see how far I get. From what I noticed, because of the large DOF of the sensor, there's less of a issue of a extreme shallow DOF for macro shots. Another plus to the Q.
11-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Smoky quartz (I used an old +10 close-up lens)
11-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Hi All,

I've been playing with the Q and some K lenses, and felt that it's worthwhile to update this thread with some other alternatives for shooting macros.

The Q with K lenses takes a whole lot of rethinking for macro type shooting. For example, a 50mm non macro lens becomes the EQ of a 180mm lens on an APS-C body, but retains its max aperture and Minimum Focusing Distance of @ 18", so without any modifiers, about 1.5" fills the frame. With an achromatic close up like the Nikon 4T (@ 2.9 diopter), @ 20mm fills the frame, and with a Raynox DCR 250, @ 10mm fills the frame horizontally.

I'm accustomed to 23.7mm filling the frame horizontally at 1:1, and using this as my reference, the lens alone gives me better than 1:2, with the 4T, a bit better than 1:1, and with the DCR 250, a bit better than 2:1. MFDs are @ 18" (from the sensor plane), and @ 7.5", and @ 4" respectively (from the end of the 50mm + diopter), and with the internal flash popped up, it can actually light the whole frame, though it's not at an ideal angle.

Flash, BTW, bit flakey at this point with the Q. I expect Pentax Ricoh to address this in firmware, but we'll see. With Q lenses and the popup flash, everything works as expected in P-TTL, and the Q does not try to balance ambient with flash like the many of the newer DSLRs, so it chooses a lower ISO when the camera is in Auto ISO. With external P-TTL flash everything's also good, but when I try a non-dedicated external flash, things get a bit strange. I need to turn the flash "Off" in the flash menu to get a manual flash to fire. The same would be true of radio triggers or anything else that you'd want to trigger with a flash sync signal.

With adapted lenses, it's also strange -- the only modes where the flash will fire are in "Slow sync" and Red-Eye Reduction", so there's a preflash, and the camera actually meters somewhat, at least in P-TTL. Ev comp and flash comp also work, and this is with either the popup flash or a P-TTL external.

Anyway, I'm including some quick snaps to illustrate the magnifications with my F 50 f1.7 and the Q + some achromatic close-up lenses that I already had. I use a Quarter for a subject because it's 24.16mm across, and that's close enough to filling the frame of an APS-C (23.7mm horizontally), which for me has been a longtime reference.

The first is with the F 50/1.7 alone at MFD

the second is with the F 50 + Nikon 4T

and the third is with the F 50 + Raynox DCR 250

and the fourth is with the D FA 100 Macro at MFD (@ 12" from the sensor plane) -- this was taken previously, and is actually the flip side of the same coin.

These are just snaps using the popup flash, so excuse alignment and such -- also there might be slight focusing errors, but they're pretty good.

The Q will allow some pretty outrageous stuff with tele lenses once SR is enabled, but if they correct the flash bugs, macro with K lenses might be it's strongest application, especially since macro shooters are used to MF since setting the focus and moving the camera is a common technique used by macro shooters. The very light weight and easy to manipulate miniature gear at unusual angles will be a major plus either for handholding or for tripod use.

Scott
02-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wow thats perfect, totally answers my multitude of questions regarding Macro with this camera, thanks!