Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Engadget review (they think it sucks)

Pentax Q interchangeable lens camera review -- Engadget

10-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is not the camera for me, but I have been pleasantly surprised by some if the pictures I have seen.
10-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Engadget review is from the perspective of an average tech-geek, not specifically a photographer. What appeals most to me about the Q is it's handling and controls. It's basically all the controls of my K-r but shrunk down to a tiny size. Sure the quality isn't the same as a larger sensor camera, but as it's taken me a long time to lean and accept, good photos are not defined primarily by their image quality. I had a Sony NEX-5 and I sold it on ebay. The image quality was incredible. But the controls worked against you instead of for you. Shooting with it was not enjoyable. The Q is like its polar opposite. Great controls but the image quality is only ok.

If I were to recommend a mirrorless camera to an average consumer, it would not be the Q. I'd probably recommend the NEX-5n or Olympus EP3 or Panasonic GF3. But if the person was a photographer and already had a DSLR and wanted that same level of control, I would not hesitate to recommend the Q. It's an amazing camera. Just not for everyone.
10-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #4

I'm not sure how I feel about this review. I like Engadget but this review was quite short, and seemed to have a whole negative feel about it the whole time. Not surprised since the person's opinion of the camera was was really negative. It felt as if they spent 10 minutes with it, took a few photos and videos for samples and then wrote their review. No image comparisons, samples, explanation for why they thought the prime lens wasn't good, any mention about handling or user controls, etc...

I wouldn't mind their negative opinion if they also went into more depth into their explanation for their negative remarks. At least then a reader can decide if those points are worthwhile for them or not. I'm still waiting for DPReview to do a review as well as a few other sites to see their comparisons. The Pentax Forums review and this one are the first two negative reviews of the camera that I have found.

10-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
Banned

I don't understand the reason they choose the NEX-C3 over the NEX-5N when the C3 only shoots 720p and the 5N is one of the very few that shoots 1080p60. Also the 5N has much better high iso performance than the C3 for only $100 more with a magnesium body.
10-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
To be fair, engadget is not a camera review site like dpreview, etc, and they don't really do image comparisons the way those sites do, even on their reviews of more "serious" cameras.

I agree the review overall is a bit slight, though.
10-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I don't understand the reason they choose the NEX-C3 over the NEX-5N when the C3 only shoots 720p and the 5N is one of the very few that shoots 1080p60. Also the 5N has much better high iso performance the the C3 for only $100 more with a magnesium body.
Probably because they haven't reviewed the 5N yet (and it's afflicted with clicky video).
10-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are first and foremost tech geeks and don't have the background as say DPReview or Imaging resource. If you look at some of their old articles or videos and see them taking pictures of the gadgets, a lot of their staff don't even know how to hold a DSLR correctly (i.e. thumb on the bottom of the lens barrel, four fingers on top). Although I have no interest in the Q, I definitely only take Engadget's camera reviews with a grain of salt.

10-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Engadget started and still is primarily a mobile phone gadget site their reviews on those aren't even technical to begin with.
10-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Wow, thats a pretty rough review. Battery lasting two hours? Has that been reported by others? A pocketable camera needs to have a long lasting battery. The video problems sound very bad as well. I haven't been following the reviews of this camera, because it doesn't interest me at all, but have others reported these things?
10-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Engadget is owned by AOL. 'nuff said.
10-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
Banned

Pentax needs a killer lens available for the Q like the Pentax 8-48mm F1.0 c-mount lens if they expect to compete against other $800 cameras .
Pentax 1/2" C Mount 8-48mm F1.0 Manual Zoom Lens C60812 B&H

The Pentax 8-48mm f1.0 works only in crop sensor ETC mode on the GH2 but would use the full sensor on the Q.
10-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Wow, thats a pretty rough review. Battery lasting two hours? Has that been reported by others? A pocketable camera needs to have a long lasting battery. The video problems sound very bad as well. I haven't been following the reviews of this camera, because it doesn't interest me at all, but have others reported these things?
I've reviewed the camera on YouTube, you can my video on the Q forum but I have found the battery life to be OK. Not as bad as what Engadget makes it out to be. It can lat 200-300+ photos depending on usage which is OK. I also found that the initial battery was needed to be drained and cycled once or twice before it started holding a longer charge. If they used the battery as it came in the box and just charged it there battery will empty extremely quick. I had the same issue with a third party battery that I bought for $20, Pentax version is $38, and they both seem fine now. I would highly recommend an additional battery though.

As for the video, haven't noticed that problem. I my guess is that they didn't understand when the camera actual began recording video. On the Q and like the other Pentax SLR's, you have to switch to movie mode and halfway focus and then finally press the shutter button fully to start recording. It then takes a second and begins taking a video. If they assumed that as soon as they hit the button it was recording they might be confused. But just in case, I'll check tonight and see if I can replicate the issue. I never noticed it but I haven't been shooting a lot of video.

Last edited by knightzerox; 10-25-2011 at 03:59 PM.
10-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Pentax needs a killer lens available for the Q like the Pentax 8-48mm F1.0 c-mount lens if they expect to compete against other $800 cameras .
Pentax 1/2" C Mount 8-48mm F1.0 Manual Zoom Lens C60812 B&H

The Pentax 8-48mm f1.0 works only in crop sensor ETC mode on the GH2 but would use the full sensor on the Q.
C-mount Pentax 8-48mm f1.0 on a GH2 - YouTube
I have this exact lens in my hands for 3 weeks now waiting to test it on the Q. Still waiting for my @#$@# adapter arrive but early shots seem very promising.
10-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #15
Banned

Kipon C-mount Adaptors to Pentax Q-mount

QuoteOriginally posted by knightzerox Quote
I have this exact lens in my hands for 3 weeks now waiting to test it on the Q. Still waiting for my @#$@# adapter arrive but early shots seem very promising.

*New Arrival* Kipon Adapter for C lens to Pentax Q camera | eBay

QuoteQuote:
The Tamron 13VM286 is a manual CS-mount lens designed for 1/3-inch CCD cameras. The 2.8 mm focal length gives very wide 80 angle of view. At 6 mm it shows 44. Two aspherical lens elements limit distortion and provide corner to corner sharpness. Its very fast f/1.2 maximum aperture allows it to be used in low light areas for color images.

Aspherical Lens Elements Tamron uses two aspherical elements in the lens for improved overall sharpness. It reduces distortion and shows greater corner to corner sharpness than conventional lens designs.
Wide View The 2.8 mm setting will display a wide 80 horizontal angle view. This is useful in small space applications.
Fast Aperture This lens has a wide f/1.2 maximum aperture throughout the zoom range. It will produce sharp images even in low light conditions.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/414202-REG/Tamron_13VM286_13VM286_2_8_6_0_mm_f_1_2.html

$89.95

Last edited by jogiba; 10-25-2011 at 02:47 PM.