Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2011, 11:39 PM   #16
Fer
Forum Member

Well, knightzerox, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

None of the other features you mention in your last post (interchangeable lenses, small size, etc) mean anything to me, since the IQ seems to be average at best, and not just compared to other "premium" products (assuming that the Q is in that category for anything other than its price), but also compared to much cheaper ones. I'm not even persuaded it's significantly better than what the LX5/S95/G12 category offers.

Again, to me it makes no sense to pay that much for such an unimpressive IQ, no matter what other unique features the system may offer. Small size and interchangeable lenses to achieve that kind of results, I'd pay $400 tops. I don't think it's silly of me to criticize the price, either. It seems overpriced for my requirements, specially compared to a number of different options in the market.

11-01-2011, 03:05 AM   #17

That's fine Fer. You have given good and logical reasons why this camera is not for you. I think many would share your views. Fortunately for Pentax there are those of us for whom this camera is more suitable. I hope this format will flourish and be further developed and not just fade away into obscurity. I think it has exciting possibilities.
11-07-2011, 04:44 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am not sure if anyone has read Steve Huff's review of the Q. He gets it and he gave the Q a well deserved good and fair review. I have read many reviews of the Q and I feel most of them are off target with how the compare the Q. Price is a factor, but when you consider the overall quality, portability, functionality and pure photographic fun factor, I think the Q delivers.

The Pentax Q Digital Camera Review – A pocket full of pixels! | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

I recently went to a local camera shop to look at the Q, I was ready to purchase. Until one of the sale people said we are Nikon guys and it want something like this look at the J1 or V1. Hands down compared side by side, the Q had better build, interface and form. I did not compare IQ. I was put off as I know what I wanted. Plus, why sell other brands if you only push Nikon.

But, anyway the above review is how I feel about the Q after doing plenty of research. I am putting my order in today!
11-07-2011, 05:35 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Welcome Eric : after a while, let us know your feedback or show us what it delivers with you.

@ponyman : agree with you, the second (after size) big difference the Q format establish is the crop factor, and the sensor size making nearly all possible glass format able to be put in front of it.
My hope as i just think about that now, is to be able to get microscope shots with no vignetting trough the full sensor format.
I should know more about this in the comming weeks or so.

11-08-2011, 02:58 AM   #20
Fer
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EricBrown Quote
I am not sure if anyone has read Steve Huff's review of the Q. He gets it and he gave the Q a well deserved good and fair review. I have read many reviews of the Q and I feel most of them are off target with how the compare the Q. Price is a factor, but when you consider the overall quality, portability, functionality and pure photographic fun factor, I think the Q delivers.

The Pentax Q Digital Camera Review – A pocket full of pixels! | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

I recently went to a local camera shop to look at the Q, I was ready to purchase. Until one of the sale people said we are Nikon guys and it want something like this look at the J1 or V1. Hands down compared side by side, the Q had better build, interface and form. I did not compare IQ. I was put off as I know what I wanted. Plus, why sell other brands if you only push Nikon.

But, anyway the above review is how I feel about the Q after doing plenty of research. I am putting my order in today!
QuoteOriginally posted by EricBrown Quote

It's a more positive review than what I can remember from the one on this site, and it's actually made me think twice about the Q. ISO 1000 looks better to me than what I've seen from the LX5/S95 group, and the kit lens DOES look really sharp wide open.
All things considered, and despite the very positive review, Huff is clearly not sure the Q is worth its asking price to most people. He mentions the prices issue three or four times, says "I really wish this came in at $599 or even $699...", and in the conclusion he even goes as far as to say "If I were a wealthy man I would own one...".

Which is still pretty much what I think: the price is not going to do the Q any favors. However, like I said, this review has made me reconsider the Q's image quality, so who knows, I might go for one if/when the price hits the $500-600 range.

Last edited by Fer; 11-08-2011 at 03:04 AM.
11-08-2011, 07:57 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Anyone who doesn't think the Q is worth what they are asking for it has the option to move on and buy something that isn't as well made or polished. I bought the Q as a carry everywhere camera. If I need better IQ then I have a K5, and if I need better than that, I have medium format and large format film.
IQ is a non issue. The Q is good enough, and it is small enough to be unobtrusive and non threatening, and different enough to not be a me-too camera.
It is also FUN, which a lot of people seem to discount as being unimportant, which is too bad, because people with no sense of fun are boring.
11-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Let me applaude this statement Wheatfield !

11-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Anyone who doesn't think the Q is worth what they are asking for it has the option to move on and buy something that isn't as well made or polished. I bought the Q as a carry everywhere camera. If I need better IQ then I have a K5, and if I need better than that, I have medium format and large format film.
IQ is a non issue. The Q is good enough, and it is small enough to be unobtrusive and non threatening, and different enough to not be a me-too camera.
It is also FUN, which a lot of people seem to discount as being unimportant, which is too bad, because people with no sense of fun are boring.
I would love to get my wife one to get her interested in photography...and if it happens to be in my pocket 90% of the time, so be it

The cost is prohibitive in my case though. If I had that kind of money, I would much rather spend it on a 31mm ltd
11-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I would love to get my wife one to get her interested in photography...and if it happens to be in my pocket 90% of the time, so be it

The cost is prohibitive in my case though. If I had that kind of money, I would much rather spend it on a 31mm ltd
Yeah, if I didn't already have a 31LTD.....
Actually, it was a toss up between the Q and the 100mm macro. The Q won out because I'd likely use it more over the winter than the macro lens.
I just got home from the Studio, showed my Q to one of the girls who shoots there (with Pentax!!). She thought it was the nicest thing she'd seen ever, so to speak.
So apparently, the Q has some appeal.
11-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #25

I too am of an age where my Q would probably be the nicest thing I could show to a girl !
11-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ponyman Quote
I too am of an age where my Q would probably be the nicest thing I could show to a girl !
LOL! Good one!
11-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got my Q a few days ago! All I have to say is I'm having so much fun with it!! Very happy so far. Great little friend for my K-5! Here is a link to my Flickr Q set:

Pentax Q - a set on Flickr
11-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Checked out your Q images on Flickr. You did well. Some very interesting photos. Very creative.
thanks for sharing
barondla
02-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Responses....

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
I am trying to curb my rants. But the Q is just a joke. IMHO. I am seriously looking at the new NEX 7. Not much more and wow...
You're missing the point. The Q is an EXQUISITE piece of kit, beautifully built, out of premium materials and construction.

QuoteOriginally posted by susurs Quote
Why? Isn't it exactly reasonable if you compare things in the same price range? Especially when arguing that something is overpriced?
See:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q-forum/175601-pentax-q-tiny-gem-instant-classic.html

QuoteOriginally posted by knightzerox Quote
No. People tend to not cross-shop between products in different categories. Yes they are both cameras and they take photos. But a pickup truck and a sports car also are both vehicles that have wheels and take you places. You don't compare the two even if they are the same price. The only competitor in the market to the Q is the Nikon 1 series really, but both the Q and the Nikon can be seen as premium version of a high-end compact P&S's like the S95, LX-5 and so on.
And the Nikon is considerably larger and fugly to boot. And not built nearly as well. It's funny but, the Nikon looks GREAT in pictures and sucks live, the Pentax looks mediocre in pictures, but when you pic one up, you go 'wow'!

The Q is a timeless classic, and an instant cult camera. Look at all the 3rd party accessories for it already. Pentax have a hit on it's hands here, just wait.

The Nikon...not so much. Trendy, will be gone soon.

Cheers,
Cameron
02-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #30

I was going to buy the Nikon 1. Until I started reading Best Buys user reviews. Complaints of heat up problems, bad indoor pictures, and problems with the video mode shutting off. Not sure why I didn't look at Pentax first. Have always had them (K1000, me super, super program, SF1 and yes the Pentax auto 110) my first reaction to the Q was to pull the aluminum camera case from my closet stare at my auto 110 lenses, filters, detachable winder and think what the %$#& they did it again. The thing is I went straight back to my computer, ordered the camera and haven’t stopped using it. Maybe it does have a tiny sensor, just don't say it aroud the camera I don't think it realizes its suppose to take lousy pictures.

Last edited by Sebastiane; 02-20-2012 at 07:29 AM. Reason: shorten