Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #31

Photos: Albums
I bought a Q Standard Prime kit from Prodigital2000 last week for $499 delivered to the USA and it has been the most fun I've had with a camera since the 70's. At this price I feel the camera is a steal and I didn't hesitate pushing the button and I'm so glad I did.

A lot of people really like to beat down on the Q complaining about its small sensor and IQ without ever using one for any length of time. But many good photographers on this site are making really great images with this little camera. So far I have been really impressed with the quality of the images I've taken. Not every picture is perfect but there is something enjoyable about exploring photography again with this little camera. And I think the incredible DOF of the f1.9 lens helps the camera take sharp low light photos compared to my KX with an equivalent lens (my DA40mm ltd).

Now I can always have a camera with me that takes great pictures, with an interface that I'm familiar with and one in which I can throw into my coat pocket. I also find the creative filters and the user presets make it fun to experiment more inside the camera and it let you be really creative on the fly. It really is a little gem of a camera. It will never replace my K-20 or KX but it is a nice addition to the stable when I want to travel light and still have creative control.

Now I'm looking forward to getting the PK-PQ adapter that is supposed to be released in the near future and play with some of my other lenses.

02-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #32
Inactive Account

That picture of the Q in the case with lenses has got my CBA/LBA brewing!!! I'm holding out till there is at least a dedicated macro although a macro filter could do the deed and it keeps in line with the compactness- and that pinhole body cap coming out is cool too

Question:
How does the Q compare IQ wise to a Fuji X10? I really am seeing this as a potential to usurp my current fav compact pocket camera Pana GX1.
02-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I too got mine from prodigital2000 when it was down to $499 and looking forward to picking up another when prices go south again.
That PK-PQ adapter isn't going to be cheap because it has a leaf shutter built in...now that's going to be interesting.

No comment on the review other than it's always interesting reading reviews; i'm still the one who has final purchase decision, my money ...my decision ...i live with it
02-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
That picture of the Q in the case with lenses has got my CBA/LBA brewing!!! I'm holding out till there is at least a dedicated macro although a macro filter could do the deed and it keeps in line with the compactness- and that pinhole body cap coming out is cool too

Question:
How does the Q compare IQ wise to a Fuji X10? I really am seeing this as a potential to usurp my current fav compact pocket camera Pana GX1.
if you're a gear head, you'll NEVER have just one favourite, it'll be boxes of favourites

02-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is an interesting field test by Adorama of the Q which I hadn't seen until recently (thanks to rawr for the link) here:

The Pentax Q Fashion Week Stress Test from Adorama Learning Center

-W
02-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #36
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
if you're a gear head, you'll NEVER have just one favourite, it'll be boxes of favourites
Good point, at the moment my MZ5 is my 'compact camera'
02-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #37
Veteran Member

That filed test is rather impressive. It was a good reading.
I do feel that the Q was intentionally over praised, but still, it puts into perspective all those way-to-technical review out there. Off course the Q won't get the best laboratory/theoretical results - its sensor is tiny. However, in real world, it seems like it can deliver a lot. The person even says that for 800$, it's still reasonable. What about the 500$ it is going for right now...
Now, I just need to convince my wife she needs one ! haha.