Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2012, 02:42 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well... it's the last week of spring. I wonder whether Pentax will honour its announcement stating their own adapter will be available this spring?

Wim

06-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #17

I hope the Pentax made adapter will allow auto focus too similar to the 4/3 to m4/3 adapter made by olympus. If they have the electronic contacts it would be awesome!
07-19-2012, 06:03 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Well... it's the last week of spring. I wonder whether Pentax will honour its announcement stating their own adapter will be available this spring?

Wim
You're generous!

I'd say spring ended at the end of May.
07-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
You're generous!

I'd say spring ended at the end of May.
LOL, obviously I was referring to it being the last week before June 21st, i.e. the official start of summer. However, to be honest, looking at the weather we got since, it feels as if we're still waiting for summer here in Belgium... So I guess one might argue spring is still going on.

I was told more recently that the Pentax adapter would be available this month (July 2012 ). I'm not sure whether my source (Pentax UK via a store) actually had primary information or was just guestimating...

Wim

07-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
LOL, obviously I was referring to it being the last week before June 21st, i.e. the official start of summer. However, to be honest, looking at the weather we got since, it feels as if we're still waiting for summer here in Belgium... So I guess one might argue spring is still going on.

I was told more recently that the Pentax adapter would be available this month (July 2012 ). I'm not sure whether my source (Pentax UK via a store) actually had primary information or was just guestimating...

Wim
I see your point, but to me, the change of season for the northern / southern solstice is only at the equator, whereas at the same time it is the peak of summer/winter at the poles, and summer and winter start somewhere in-between for anyone that lives in-between the equator and poles depending on latitude. But that's just me

Converting seasons to a business calendar, I'd say that Q1 is winter, Q2 spring, Q3 summer and Q4 autumn.

By your standard and both of mine, Pentax have missed! I hope it's worth it (AF ability, built-in shutter).
07-20-2012, 05:18 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax has missed the deadline. Hopefully the adapter arrives soon. I am afraid it will cost as much as the Q at its new price. Pentax never said the adapter was af. Only that there was a shutter in it.
thanks
barondla
07-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Based on the mock-up/prototype shown in February, there are no electrical contacts on the K-mount side. So no AF for sure.

07-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Indeed AF is highly unlikely. Since I don't think the Q's little battery would have the power to drive the AF, whether screw driven of SDM, I don't think AF was a possibility to start with.

An alternative could be a AF adapter similar to the F1.7x AF adapter, but that would require additional lens elements, which I'm not sure would be a good idea on a small sensor system like the Q?

Wim
07-23-2012, 03:11 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The battery problem could probably be fixed by having an extra battery in the adapter. Q doesn't need more magnificaton so the 1.7X spec is probably not good for us. Wonder if an af adapter could be made optically neutral with no gain in manification? Or like my telescope optics that reduce the focal length and thus gain lens speed. K lenses have plenty of extra image circle on the Q.

I can live without af. Just bring out the shuttered adapter. Hopefully it is at least out by Photokina. Realize this is a fairly complicated accessory to build. The pinhole lens body cap can't be that difficult. Maybe they are holding all of this for a big splash.
thanks
barondla
07-23-2012, 05:58 AM   #25

Makes me worry, barondla. Holding for a splash, or... Never to see the light of day.