Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
Pentaxian

K to Q adapter news!

Hi All,

I posted this in the C/D mount Q adapter thread, but thought it deserved one of its own.

I received an answer to an inquiry to jinfinance on Ebay about their plans to offer a K>Q adapter since they already offer them for Nikon, MD,Canon, and Olumpus DSLR lenses.

"Thanks for the message...

We're already making it, and it should be ready in a week or so (11/7)... And we design the adapter, there is an aperture turning ring on it, so the Pentax AF lens can also be used with...

and of course, there is a tripod mount attached to the adapter... necessary for this 'tiny' camera...

I will let you know as soon as it's ready..."

The other DSLR adapters they sell do not include an aperture control ring, so I expect the K>Q adapter to be more expensive, but since the others are $56.00 with free shipping, it shouldn't be outrageous like the Rayqual ($289 USD) that doesn't have an aperture ring, but does include a tripod ring.

jinfinance is a very good Ebay seller, in my experience, probably best known to Pentaxians for their inexpensive split screen focusing screens.

Scott

10-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
ebay seller - jinfinance - I agree, in that their Pentax lens rear caps are using a mold that is exactly like a Pentax cap. I don't know where they are getting these caps specifically, but they are perfect replacements and the tolerances are perfect.

I'm going to go and order a few more.
10-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great news! Can't wait to get my hands on this adapter.
thanks
barondla
10-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Why not just get a K mount camera?

10-30-2011, 03:46 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Most likely because we already have at least one, I guess.
11-01-2011, 03:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
I think people are most excited about the telephoto and macro possibilities of the Q. It does appear fairly impressive in Scott's photos elsewhere.
11-01-2011, 04:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm still puzzled why Pentax did not make a K to Q adapter available at the launch time of the Q. It isn't complicated engineering. It broadens the attractiveness of the Q.

I know they previewed one at the Q launch, but so far Pentax has yet to deliver a product. Weird.
11-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'm still puzzled why Pentax did not make a K to Q adapter available at the launch time of the Q. It isn't complicated engineering. It broadens the attractiveness of the Q.

I know they previewed one at the Q launch, but so far Pentax has yet to deliver a product. Weird.
Hi rawr.

I agree that Pentax should have promoted the most obvious strength (in my eyes at least) by releasing the K>Q adapter that they previewed, or at least announced it for later release.

I had, however previously predicted that they might not even release one due to fear of warranty liability from broken mounts on the camera from using really big glass with the Q. Long tele shooters have a tendency to look for more reach -- I know I do -- the first lens I fitted to my K>Q adapter was my Tamron 500 f8 Mirror (it's pretty light though). The results were good, but not great at 2765mm EQ. The lens is reasonably sharp, but really lacks contrast, and I had not yet worked out a reasonable tripod setup for it and the conditions were dark overcast, so I quickly shifted to more practical faster lenses like the F 50/1.7 and D FA 100/2.8 Macro.

We have sun today, but I had an appointment with my ophthalmologist this morning, and my eyes will be dilated for hours -- not very good for MF -- and by the time they recover, it will probably be clouded over again. . .

I blame Hoya for missing the boat in marketing to the Q's strength. A long tele zoom or fast prime (with a long end of 50-100mm) with at least 2:1 macro capabilities would have been a big commitment at introduction, but would have illustrated the Q's real advantage as a compact system. Imagine pictures comparing the Q with a 4" long, thin and lightweight 100mm (550mm EQ) f 2.8 tele/dedicated macro Q * lens compared to comparable setups for 4/3 with a 225mm/2.8 (needs an 80mm front element), and Nex with a 370/2.8 (needs a 132mm front element). I realize that there would be some risk to make such a lens, but they could have at the very least mocked them up for illustrative purposes. Even relatively experienced photographers seem to have trouble seeing the advantages of the Q at the long end and for macro as evidenced on this and other fora with all the Q mocking.

Pentax/Hoya dropped the ball, and I hope that Pentax Ricoh picks it up and runs with it. If they make the next lens a 12.6-36mm (70-200mm EQ) f2.8 constant aperture (or even 2,8-4.5) * class zoom with 2:1 macro focusing capability, it would be risky, but would force the photographic community to consider the very compact system size and at least look at the tele and macro potential for the Q. on the Q, a 2:1 macro would be equivalent to close to 1:2 magnification levels on an APS-C sensor, as a bit over 12mm will fill the frame horizontally while with APS-C, 23.7mm fills the frame horizontally. Imagine the impact of an ad with the Q and 01, 02, and 12.6-36mm f2.8 zoom, the smallest 4/3 + a 25mm f2, and 35-100 f2.8, the smallest Nex with a 16-50, 33mm f2, and 50-135 f2.8, and even a V1 with the 10-30, an 18mm 1.8, and a 26-74 f2.8. Better yet, put each system on a scale and compare the Q system with each individually side by side.

People need visual aids to slap them in the face, not just the description as the "Smallest Interchangeable Lens Camera System", no matter how big and bold you might make the font.

Scott

03-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter

US source told me about the next DSLR but says they haven't heard anything about the K adapter schedule yet . Actually recommended I sell the RJ adapter. Kind of depressing. Doesn't sound as near as we thought - at least in the US.
thanks
barondla

Can live with the RJ but may have to look at improving the darn tripod foot integrity.
06-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
Forum Member

I was talking to a friend of mine that works in a camera store and he said he just seen the Pentax k>Q adaptor and that its coming soon. This was last week I hope he wasn't teasing me. If i don't see one by the end of summer I'll go 3rd party.
06-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by northislander Quote
I was talking to a friend of mine that works in a camera store and he said he just seen the Pentax k>Q adaptor and that its coming soon. This was last week I hope he wasn't teasing me. If i don't see one by the end of summer I'll go 3rd party.
That would be great news, unless your friend only just now discovered the CP+ related links... ;-)

Wim
06-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Adapter Q for K mount lens

Lens adapter for mounting a K mount lens onto a Q mount interchangeable-lens digital camera body
Built-in shutter unit; manual-focus operation only
Market launch scheduled for spring 2012
Pentax Ricoh shows off lenses in development for K, Q and 645 mounts at CP+: Digital Photography Review

I bet it will cost about as much as what I paid for my Q w/ F1.9 standard lens.
06-13-2012, 12:29 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Pentax Ricoh shows off lenses in development for K, Q and 645 mounts at CP+: Digital Photography Review

I bet it will cost about as much as what I paid for my Q w/ F1.9 standard lens.
Indeed, there is a fair chance it will be much more expensive than the currently offered third party adapters, esp including the optional (?) tripod mount. Of course, it will feature a leaf shutter and the tripod mount looks far superior to anything on the current adapters. The latter is only important for lenses that don't already have a tripod mount themselves, so whether or not one needs it depends on the lenses one intends to use on the adapter. In my case it's the FA50/2.8 macro and the K135/2.5 neither of which have a tripod mount.

Wim
06-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I just ordered the jinfinance item, so its pretty likely the Pentax one will be out in the next week or so!

Ill see how I go with the jinfinance and what the pricing on the Pentax item is, but I will likely upgrade at some stage...
06-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
Site Supporter

After installing longer screws and a large amount of JB Weld I haven't had a problem with the RJ tripod foot getting loose. The Pentax tripod foot still looks better. Biggest advantage the Pentax adapter has is the leaf shutter. To finally be able to do macro with flash would be heavenly. I fear the cost will be extreme though. Just purchased the real metal hood for my #01 Q prime. ZOweee. More than half what the RJ adapter cost. Still love it though.
thanks
barondla