Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2011, 04:51 AM   #1

Your impressions of the 100mm tele/toy lens?

Greetings, I have had the Q and the 47mm prime and the 17mm fish-eye for over a month and I am very pleased with these. I am still on the fence regarding the zoom lens as it appears from the meagre impressions available out there that it is not very good at the long end, probably because it cannot be opened wider than 4.5. My 47mm lens begins losing sharpness after 4.0, you cannot escape early diffraction with such a small sensor. Yet the 100mm tele/toy lens has a fixed aperture of 8.0 but I do recall an early adopter being quite pleased with its sharpness nonetheless. Can anyone share their personal experience with the 100mm tele/toy lens, especially regarding sharpness, maybe compared to the zoom lens at the long end? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Kirill_est; 11-17-2011 at 07:51 AM.
11-17-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, I had a hard time considering it a lens when I tested it. Too slow and too plasticky. The zoom, on the other hand, is worth getting because of the convenience it offers.

Pentax Q Review - Overview

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-17-2011, 11:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I've played with it a bit at work, sharpness is decent, the only thing holding it back is the f/8 aperture, too slow for anything but daylight. The zoom doesn't interest me, so I haven't compared them at all.

I like it for the fun flare effects it has. If I wasn't using the Pentax-110 18mm f/2.8 instead, I would probably buy the Toy Telephoto. It's inexpensive enough not to lose any sleep over.
11-18-2011, 01:39 AM   #4

Original Poster
Adam, thanks for the reference to your review. I read it about a month ago and have taken another look now but I can only see one 100mm lens image as a FOV example and it is far from full-size and I see no full-sizes with that lens in the review samples page either? I understand that you are not impressed with this lens, but it would be nice if you shared a few full-size samples, cheers!

Mock, you certainly have many interesting Q images in your album, but I am not sure if the image link you provided is the only one you have there that was made with the 100mm lens? No full-size either, probably would not look as nice in full size? Maybe I am expecting too much from this lens, after all it is so tiny and it only costs 99 EUR in my neck of the woods, maybe I really should just got for it

11-18-2011, 06:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have shot both the Toy Tele and the 02 zoom. The 02 zoom is in the same league as the 01 prime when it comes to image quality. The Toy Tele is not as sharp. It has a softer, almost portrait quality to it. I will try to download an image later this weekend. It is the smallest Q lens beating out the 8.5 prime,Toy Wideangle, and Fsheye.
thanks
barondla
11-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kirill_est Quote
...after all it is so tiny and it only costs 99 EUR in my neck of the woods, maybe I really should just got for it
Exacty, if you manage manual focussing, you will not regret it : just to be used in good available light

here are some of my picts taken with it :
http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=rec&w=10321525@N07&q=Pentax+Q+%2205+TOY+LENS+TELE%22&m=text
Not full res., but you can imagine there is no problem, in particular diffraction is pretty well contained in my opinion.
To be noted : a very special flare behaviour !
11-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kirill_est Quote
Mock, you certainly have many interesting Q images in your album, but I am not sure if the image link you provided is the only one you have there that was made with the 100mm lens? No full-size either, probably would not look as nice in full size? Maybe I am expecting too much from this lens, after all it is so tiny and it only costs 99 EUR in my neck of the woods, maybe I really should just got for it
True, that's the only image I have on flickr with the 100mm. If you're a member you can view it at 2048 x something, but that's inconvenient. Nothing looks as nice in full-size, but that is not why the image is sized as it is.

I've uploaded 5 full size samples, all shot in JPEG, only editing was exposure in Lightroom 3, resaved as 100 quality JPEG. Two of them were in Unicolour Bold mode, should be obvious which ones.
As far as I'm aware the EXIF info is intact. Completely uninspired samples for sure, zygonyx's are much better.

Close focusing
Outside, sign.
Pylons
Plant
Inside, ISO 1600, 1/40s, possibly some shutter blur and/or subject movement here

These links expire on December 2nd.

Last edited by Mock; 11-18-2011 at 11:10 AM.
11-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #8

Original Poster
Zygonyx, looks like you enjoy using this lens and the results are certainly encouraging

Thanks Mock, the lens seems quite good based on your full-size samples IMHO, better than I expected.
I must confess I am especially impressed by the Pylons - is this is Unicolor Bold?
I only tested that mode early on and found it somewhat inaccurate:
despite me setting the corresponding colour, it would not react
to some objects that I clearly saw were yellow or blue. Green was OK.
But it does embrace the colour red wholeheartedly, as you shot proves
My favourite "gimmick" mode so far has been Tonal Expansion

One undeniable FACT that irritates me about the 100mm lens
is that its design is such that it would have been a CINCH
to include a filter thread there (unlike the fish-eye)
Shame on you Pentax

Last edited by Kirill_est; 11-18-2011 at 02:01 PM.
11-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

It is in Unicolour bold. When you choose what colour you want you can also adjust the camera's sensitivity to said colour by pressing the exposure comp. button. If a red doesn't fit the strictest definition of red you can increase the sensitivity to include more red spectrum. I find the lowest sensitivity level doesn't pick up the colour you're looking for very often.

Bold monochrome is my favourite "gimmick mode"
11-18-2011, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Q, Toy Telephoto. Shot in Raw and developed in SilkyPix. Sharpened more than the zoom or prime. I will probably buy it. It does make the Q the smallest currently possible.

I totally agree with the missing filter threads on the two toys. How much could that have cost? Some people buy a Toy lens to steal the lens mount for other projects.
thanks
barondla
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 

Last edited by barondla; 11-18-2011 at 10:03 PM.
11-21-2011, 05:04 AM   #11

Original Poster
Looks like this lens could be good for macro, I only wish I could attach a close-up add-on lens to it for improved magnification.
I wonder what is the diameter of that outer circle, i.e. where Pentax COULD HAVE HAD the filter thread?
Maybe one could get a step-up or step-down filter adapter ring and SQUEEZE/GLUE it in there?
11-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

12-03-2011, 03:44 AM   #13

Original Poster
Have purchased it and to my eyes the only thing "toy" about it is its appearance - the lacking filter thread (I am working on a solution, stay tuned) and the front element looking so tiny, but it does the job fine. I suppose it might be prone to chromatic aberrations in some outdoor situations, but it is tack sharp, despite having the fixed aperture of 8.0 (and 8.0 looks awful on the kit prime). On the other hand, I saw some full-size samples of the "toy (not so) wide" lens on DCresource and that one looks worse to my eyes.
12-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with your position.