Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2011, 03:12 AM - 1 Like   #1

The Q crowd: are we EVIL neophytes?

What is our EVIL background?
Is the Q our first taste of EVIL cameras?

Not for me. I have never owned a (D)SLR and never will because I do not like the bulk and back/front focus issues. But I used to have the following mirrorless cameras:
1) Panasonic G1, early adopter in late 2008. Liked the camera, but was never completely satisfied with the image quality. I never bother with RAW because life is too short for me, and the JPEGs were soft for my eyes even with sharpness cranked up to the ultimate plus setting in the camera.
2) Got sharper images with the same lenses when I purchased Olympus EP-1 in summer 2009. Did not like the camera much, though. It was heavy, the display resolution was ridiculously low and the settings wheel around the navipad was dislodged by the slightest of (accidental) touches.
I also became frustrated by how the lens line-up evolved. Nothing UWA initially available in native mount format and pricing was generally higher than expected, the early m4/3 promise having been that as the size is reduced, it would mean cost-saving as well. Obviously for the manufacturers, not for the buyers. Tried 4/3 lenses but they added to bulk, too much. The announced prices for the m4/3 fish-eye and 7-14mm lens were the final straw for me. There were never any dust issues whatsoever, though (see next point).
3) Bought Sony NEX-3 with the 16mm wideangle pancake as soon as came out. Loved the camera and the pancake was tolerable, given the pocketability factor. But then I purchased the 18-55mm zoom and it all went downhill for me. You are going to laugh, but I sold up because of sensor dust. With the built-in dust removal system being totally useless, I learned how to remove dust with a rocket blower and wet/dry swabs but I got tired of doing it all the time and never knowing if I have done enough or will have to re-do it again. You see, every time I changed lenses (always indoors) there was guaranteed at least one speck of dust visible to ruin all shots with sky, etc., if I did not apply the rocket blower - or even when I did. NEVER BEFORE OR SINCE have I encountered a sensor that was such a dust magnet like the NEX sensor. And I have tried them all basically. Too much hassle, just gave up.
4) Bought (and still own now) Samsung NX100. A bit bulkier than the NEX, a bit worse at higher ISO values, the display is not as good as well, but I basically always shoot at low ISO and the results are good, sharp and with practically no chromatic aberrations. The lenses are reasonably priced and the dust-removal system just WORKS, as it should.
5) Oh and I have had zero dust issues with the Q, too. The dust removal function is automatically activated at startup and no issues as a result.

11-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Q is not that popular on this forum, it seems...

I managed to snatch an used one locally (will receive it tomorrow). Including the standard and fisheye lenses; the owner found it too small. I also bought the Kipon D-mount to Q adapter and already have some interesting cine primes. I cannot wait to experiment!

It's not my first EVIL though; I had worked with a Panasonic G1 but to me it was a bad camera. Actually I want a FF Pentax but I simply could not resist the fun factor of the Q.
11-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I wouldn't buy in at the current pricing levels, but I think everyone should have a chance to see and hold this camera - it is truly unique and an interesting concept, the new nikon 'mirrorless' cameras don't even come close to being as compact (in fact I mistook one of them for an olympus e-pm1 at target...they carry the nikon and the e-pm1 there!).
11-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to say I am loving the Q! I have been using DSLRs since 2005 and learned on full manual film SLRs in high school. My view on the Q is it just brings a level of fun to my photography and is a great companion with my K-5. I went shooting this past weekend and took both cameras. The K-5 around my neck and the Q in my pocket. They two are very different cameras obviously, but both work well together. Plus, I am getting great photos with the Q that I would have missed because I did not lug all my DSLR stuff with me.

I consider myself a serious photographer, but fail to see why people have such dislike for the Q. I am very happy with my purchase and I have not put the Q down since I got is two weeks ago. It is about enjoying photography, should not matter what tools you use.

11-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Hi Kirill_est,

The Q is my first MILC. I've been exclusively a DSLR shooter since @ '05. I previously shot Panasonic Superzoom bridges, but once I started shooting DSLRs, I never was interested in shooting with any form of EVF until the Q. I still don't like having to use the LCD, but it's a compromise that I'll make to get the 3.6x crop factor advantage over APS-C for tele and macro shooting. I still prefer an OVF if possible, and just obtained a Leitz Brightline 50 to use with the 01 Prime. There are some adjustments that have to be made, but I'm very pleased with it so far.

As far as the teles go, I'm resigned to use the LCD for now, but have some ideas to work around this limitation to some extent. I just received a true K to Q adapter with aperture control so I'm presently trying it out and should be able to report about a bunch of lenses pretty soon if the weather holds out. So far, I've been a little surprised by capabilities that many of my SLR lenses are showing. The Q's crop factor really changes the nature of any SLR lens considerably..

Scott
12-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Also have an Olympus M43 EP-l1. It is a nice camera that allows use of old Om lenses. Added the external evf to it. It isn't as small as I wanted. Still use it.

Love my Q. Take it every where. It allows adapting almost any lens. Have already talked a few friends into one. It is a very hard camera to put down.

Thanks
barondla
12-05-2011, 01:28 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
The Q is not that popular on this forum, it seems...

I managed to snatch an used one locally (will receive it tomorrow). Including the standard and fisheye lenses; the owner found it too small. I also bought the Kipon D-mount to Q adapter and already have some interesting cine primes. I cannot wait to experiment!

It's not my first EVIL though; I had worked with a Panasonic G1 but to me it was a bad camera. Actually I want a FF Pentax but I simply could not resist the fun factor of the Q.
Congratulations for your choice and welcome in our everyday stenghtening club !

@kirill est : thanks so much for your interesting intervention.
12-05-2011, 06:41 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
@kirill est : thanks so much for your interesting intervention.
Thanks for your kind words and for being part of this small but friendly community which I am sure will grow as long as we are not shy to post our thoughts and exchange opinions. Initially I also posted about the Q on DPreview forums but there appears to be less interest and they have not even bothered creating a separate forum for the Q (but they did it promptly for the Nikon 1 system, hmm).