Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Why I chose the Q for journalism...

Ok... I was in the Air Force for awhile, I had dropped out of college which I was taking photography. I realized bad idea... I studied journalism for all of the years I was in the military pretty much in seclusion... I'm out now I go to school for journalism for free I was given 10 grand on top of it had a choice of any camera I want and went with the Q. Reasons, small, unobtrusive, I don't blend in the scene like photographers, I am in the scene... I watch as journalist are struggling to capture a crazy moment here in the bay area with there huge camera and huge flashes... The Pentax Q the prime and an LED light is all I need and I'm in the action not getting in the way but yet my camera screams professional, everyone who sees the Q who knows nothing about photography think instantly pro photographer when they see me... And because of it I end up with the good shots... heres an HD video of an Event called WOMPSGIVING... WARNING NOT WORK OR CHILD SAFE!!!

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=234395829959319

11-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
oh ya suggestions to improve in away will be highly accepted...
11-25-2011, 02:36 AM   #3

That video, you call it journalism? Seriously though, I kept getting a small pop-up dialogue window that would not go away or let me close the page, had to use CTRL + ALT + DEL to shut down Opera. You certainly picked the right camera for the job, though I heard there are even smaller and unobtrusive units you can embed in the tip of your shoe, etc
11-28-2011, 06:32 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting pick of a camera to use. How do you find the processing lag of the images between shots? What lens are you using? The small size makes it easy to carry and get into places a larger camera would not at times I am quessing.

12-03-2011, 03:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh ya that video wasn't a journalism video, its a club video, duh... Its like when I was in martial arts training, or when I use to skate back in the 90's, or like when I was in bootcamp, or when I use to cook, or... well I can go on and on with my life experiences for my very young age of 26... You put yourself in intense high stress situations where its pretty much impossible to do what you do and it makes you better at what you do... The place is an over packed underground rave, with over a thousand people on drugs and no room really to even spread out your arms and the worse lighting conditions possible...

I pretty much used the prime I have all the lenses and everyone of them was pretty much useless as in too slow to handle those lighting conditions, the zoom was fine but still felt too big... I used the prime when I was at the occupy SF too, same thing, photographers with big cameras were shunned while my attempts to photograph individuals were accepted...
12-03-2011, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Oh ya about the lag between shots... Actually right now I'm shooting jpeg since all I'm shooting for is my blog and thats real fast. When I was shooting raw at the occupy it didn't seem to bother me any, I'm not the spray and hope to find a good picture amongst 20 snaps, I like to frame my shots and take my time, I hunt for my subject, frame, take a shot and then check picture, then I move on to another subject. I don't like jumping from subject to subject all chaotically hoping I'll grab a good shot so I guess the lag times wouldn't bother someone who shoots like I do. When I'm pretending to be a journalist shooting a story I try to balance art and news in one so it'll appeal more to my generation...
12-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh ya about the lag between shots... Actually right now I'm shooting jpeg since all I'm shooting for is my blog and thats real fast. When I was shooting raw at the occupy it didn't seem to bother me any, I'm not the spray and hope to find a good picture amongst 20 snaps, I like to frame my shots and take my time, I hunt for my subject, frame, take a shot and then check picture, then I move on to another subject. I don't like jumping from subject to subject all chaotically hoping I'll grab a good shot so I guess the lag times wouldn't bother someone who shoots like I do. When I'm pretending to be a journalist shooting a story I try to balance art and news in one so it'll appeal more to my generation...

MODS NEED TO LOOK INTO THIS, POST ABOVE WAS ME, I WAS ALREADY LOGGED IN UNDER MY OWN ACCOUNT HIT QUICK REPLY POSTED AND NOTICED MY NAME CHANGED WENT TO ACCOUNT SETTING AND I WAS LOGGED INTO SOMEONE ELSES ACCOUNT WITH ACCESS TO ALL THERE INFORMATION, I QUICKLY LOGGED OUT AND RELOGGED IN AND POSTED THIS!!!!

12-05-2011, 03:24 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bmonki, it was my account you accidentally logged into. I have no reason to believe it was any more than a systems error but forum management need to take a long hard look at how this was at all possible!

I fully agree that this is a security threat of some magnitude, if it happened to you it could happen to anybody. I'm going to wait another 48 hours for a reply from the forum maintainers. If no answer by then I will remove my profile from this forum. I am shocked, even more so as I donated to this forum a couple of months ago.

[EDIT] I have changed my password and email address just to be on the safe side, but suspect something wrong in the SQL user management of this forum so not sure it is sufficient protection.

Last edited by newmikey; 12-05-2011 at 03:29 AM.
12-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your account didn't get hacked or anything, it's just a bug that's apparently sitting in the facebook connect system. Did use use the system earlier to link your account with your FB account?

Uninstalling that for now until someone figures out what's wrong...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Your account didn't get hacked or anything, it's just a bug that's apparently sitting in the facebook connect system. Did use use the system earlier to link your account with your FB account?

Uninstalling that for now until someone figures out what's wrong...
Face Book
Is hacking your net-life...
12-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
well, but if for this purpose it does not have to be Q
a high end compact camera can do the job too.there are a few camera with f-stop around f2 to f2.8..and usually with better zoom range..probabally can do a better job for u..
12-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I like having the interchangeable lenses though... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a tele zoom, a proper wide angle, and a macro come out... wishing...