Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Yes, I meant including a set of blades and some way to control them behind the lens mount. Hin posted links to some home made adapters with interchangeable apertures in his NEX thread but it would be much more convenient to have the whole system built into the EBay adapters, even if it doubles the cost.
I didn't write that post clearly so I edited it. What I was trying to say is I don't see a manual controlled aperture in a Q adapter being any more of a hassle than the ones in the m4/3 ones for DA ltd lenses.

12-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FlashCube Quote
I didn't write that post clearly so I edited it. What I was trying to say is I don't see a manual controlled aperture in a Q adapter being any more of a hassle than the ones in the m4/3 ones for DA ltd lenses.
Hi Flashcube,

The original post in this portion of the thread was about P110 lens to Q adapters, and for these, a diaphragm would be needed since in the Pentax 110 SLR, the lenses were all fixed f2.8 aperture, and the entire aperture mechanism was located in the camera body. You are correct that for DA lenses, the aperture control mechanism is pretty straightforward, and just a matter of moving a lever a set amount to actuate the aperture control lever on the back of the lens.

Scott
12-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FlashCube Quote
I don't see an adapter with a manually controlled aperture being any more of a hassle than the Fotodiox adapters for K-m4/3 which allows the use of the DA Ltd series on micro 4/3.
Certainly building up the whole aperture mechanism, not only a leveler, will be more complicated and cost more. Or haven't you understood how the pentax 110 system worked?
The posted photos in this thread clearly show an adapter that does not include aperture blades. That limits the usage to f2.8 (all Pentax 110 lenses had a maximum speed at f2.8), just like some home made adapters I've seen. But if someone took the trouble to build an adapter that also includes an aperture mechanism, it would be really cool.
12-09-2011, 11:56 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Flashcube,

The original post in this portion of the thread was about P110 lens to Q adapters, and for these, a diaphragm would be needed since in the Pentax 110 SLR, the lenses were all fixed f2.8 aperture, and the entire aperture mechanism was located in the camera body. You are correct that for DA lenses, the aperture control mechanism is pretty straightforward, and just a matter of moving a lever a set amount to actuate the aperture control lever on the back of the lens.

Scott
He is aware of that because he has seen my 110 setup. That said, I don't see the big deal about adding a manual diagram to an adapter. Sure it would be manually controlled. I use DA ltd lenses on a ep-1 and GF2 and the apertures are manually controlled since those lenses lack a aperture ring. Sure the aperture is in the lens in this case, but it doesn't really matter where a manually controlled diagram is located.

12-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Certainly building up the whole aperture mechanism, not only a leveler, will be more complicated and cost more. Or haven't you understood how the pentax 110 system worked?
The posted photos in this thread clearly show an adapter that does not include aperture blades. That limits the usage to f2.8 (all Pentax 110 lenses had a maximum speed at f2.8), just like some home made adapters I've seen. But if someone took the trouble to build an adapter that also includes an aperture mechanism, it would be really cool.
See my post to Snostrom. A manually controlled diagram in an adapter for the 110 lenses would be no functionally different than a manually controlled DA ltd on a e-p1 or GF2. In fact, I would like to get one for my gf2. I have had a Auto 110 since Junior High and the 110 was my first camera. FlashCube was my lab tech up until about 2.5 years ago when he retired from the University and was my dark room guy. I have all that crap piled up in storage.

Edit: That said, it may surprise folks how well these old 110 lenses would do wide open at f2.8.

Last edited by Blue; 12-10-2011 at 12:07 AM.
12-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #21
Veteran Member

110 lenses are indeed very good at 2.8, every shot in this set taken with a 110 lens was wide open.

However, a 110-Q adapter with an aperture adjustment is functionally different than the a K-DA - m4/3 adapter. The aperture control in a DA-m4/3 (or DA-Q, etc) is simply a ring with a bit of metal in the right spot to move the aperture lever on the DA lens, the aperture mechanism itself is already in the lens.

110 lenses do not have the aperture mechanism in them at all, there is no interface between the adapter and lens, so an aperture-control 110-Q adapter would have to consist of it's own aperture blades, or could use a drop-in system of aperture disks similar to a lensbaby (just behind the lens instead). The former is obviously preferable for ease of use, but much more difficult to make. If it cost less than $100 for such a thing, I would seriously question its durability.

On the supply side, I have to imagine selling any adapter at $100+ is a tough sell, especially one where you could purchase almost the entire lens lineup for about the same.

Last edited by Mock; 12-11-2011 at 11:00 AM.
12-11-2011, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Since diffraction is beginning to take its toll beyond f/4 (have a look at the test of the 8.5mm f/1.9 by photozone) and the depth of field is huge even at f/2.8, a Pentax 110 --> Pentax Q adapter with its own aperture mechanism would mostly be useful between f/2.8 and f/4.

Much ado about... not much.

Last edited by Mistral75; 12-11-2011 at 11:01 AM.
12-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
110 lenses are indeed very good at 2.8, every shot in this set is shot wide open.

However, a 110-Q adapter with an aperture adjustment is functionally different than the a K-DA - m4/3 adapter. The aperture control in a DA-m4/3 (or DA-Q, etc) is simply a ring with a bit of metal in the right spot to move the aperture lever on the DA lens, the aperture mechanism itself is already in the lens.

110 lenses do not have the aperture mechanism in them at all, there is no interface between the adapter and lens, so a aperture-control 110-Q adapter would have to consist of it's own aperture blades, or could use a drop-in system of aperture disks similar to a lensbaby (just behind the lens instead). The former is obviously preferable for ease of use, but much more difficult to make. If it cost less than $100 for such a thing, I would seriously question its durability.

On the supply side, I have to imagine selling any adapter at $100+ is a tough sell, especially one where you could purchase almost the entire lens lineup for about the same.
I am aware that the aperture mechanism is in the Auto 110 body. Take a peak at my avatar. The 110 is my first camera back in Junior High and I still use 110. My point was about actually using the adapter on a Q would be functionally similar. The cost of the adapter would be prohibitive, but I never brought that into the discussion given the price of the Q body. Go look at the price of some of the upper end adapters like for some of the Cine lenses etc. That said, the pool of 110 lenses is small.

16x9 Inc. Cine Lens Mount PL to Micro 4/3 Mount 169-CLM-PLMF B&H

MTF Services Ltd PL to Micro 4/3 Adaptor MTPLM43 B&H Photo Video

Those make some of those German made adapters look cheap.
12-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Functionally similar from an end-user standpoint, as in "turn the ring and it stops down". Now I understand, thank you

Those are very nice adapters, but look at the price of cine lenses. Accessories for luxury lenses can command luxury prices. People aren't paying this much because an EPL-3 is also $600, the price is being justified on the basis of what was paid for the lens.
Where I work, it's nearly impossible to sell a 50mm f/1.4 with a B+W filter...change the lens to a 50mm f/1.2 then maybe you can.

Anyways...the Kipon adapter posted earlier is certainly taking some time to arrive. Very anxious to get it, I check ebay every day.

Last edited by Mock; 12-11-2011 at 11:40 AM.
12-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
Functionally similar from an end-user standpoint, as in "turn the ring and it stops down". Now I understand, thank you

Those are very nice adapters, but look at the price of cine lenses. Accessories for luxury lenses can command luxury prices. People aren't paying this much because an EPL-3 is also $600, the price is being justified on the basis of what was paid for the lens.
Where I work, it's nearly impossible to sell a 50mm f/1.4 with a B+W filter...change the lens to a 50mm f/1.2 then maybe you can.

Anyways...the Kipon adapter posted earlier is certainly taking some time to arrive. Very anxious to get it, I check ebay every day.
The price is why I said it would be cost prohibitive. I think the lenses may work pretty good at f2.8, especially compared to the Toy lenses.
12-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
How much could we hope to gain from an adapter with apertures built in? The 110 lenses are F2.8 wide open. The Q shows degraded performance when aperture is smaller than F4. This only gives one aperture for adjutment - maybe two if we throw caution to the wind and allow adjustment to F5.6.

Even though the 110 lens had the aperture behind it couldn't we put an aperture in front. If so a filter ring with fixed aperture in it would work. I am ready for the adapter. seems to be taking awhile.
thanks
barondla
12-12-2011, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have invested in Pentax Auto 110 lens for my use on Sony NEX 5N.

The Pentax Auto 110 to NEX adapter does not have the diaphragm control and I tried to build one myself along with others in dpreview nex forum. But so far my attempts have failed with severe vignetting with 2 separate Iris diaphragm. I think what I have gotten may work with Pentax Q adapters.

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I plan to stick an iris diaphragm to the back of the auto 110 to NEX adapter and adjust diaphragm opening from a Glide Floss tided to the control stick of the iris diaphragm. Or arrange the iris opening per mounting of the lens onto the NEX body.

I have ordered diaphragm that look like these from jinfinance ebay store

I am not sure if what I vision will work to stop down the lens somewhat. If you are curious to see how the lens work stopped down in M4/3 with Panasonic G1, you can see this great thread of discussion with an Panasonic G1 owner who improvised with a insert-able aperture plastic plate into a DIY M39 to MFT adapter
Cheers,
Hin
12-16-2011, 07:55 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
There is a Pentax 110 lens to Q body adapter manufactured by Kipon. It was announced on 24 November and should be for sale soon. No built-in manual aperture though.
Now on eBay. Price is USD95, free shipping.

Kipon Adapter for PTX 110 P110 CINE/MOVIE to Pentax Q Camera, EXPRESS MAIL! | eBay

The Kipon Pentax 110 --> Q adapters for NEX and µ4/3 bodies are also for sale as of today at the same price.

12-16-2011, 09:01 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Kipon, the fastest adaptor manufacturer !
12-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you so much for the link and I have been looking at their adapters.

Though more expensive, they do look like better constructed. I don't have experience on the Q adapter but I do have the adapter from Pentax Auto 110 to Sony NEX and it cost in the range for $33 to $45 but the construction is really not as nice as the Kipon. I get very lose mounting and I am trying to return my poorly constructed adapter and I may get this Kipon after the new year.

However, the Kipon adapter still doesn't have the diaphragm control and you will shooting wide open in f/2.8. Its construction in single piece may be easier to adapt a diaphragm. Unlike my other NEX adapter, the back is shallower and it may be easier to get a diaphragm to get close to the lens' rear. With the Pentax Q, I think the vignette problems in my NEX failed diaphragm experiment can be re-tried with better success rate. I will share more on my failed attempt when time allows

Here is the back picture of the Kipon adapter for the NEX E mount -- it should be similar to the Q. I will update later ...

And I just hope the price can come down with more choices of vendors.

Cheers,
Hin