Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2011, 04:54 AM   #1

Your wishlist for next firmware upgrade

Now I believe that my bullet points below are eminently implementable via firmware upgrade. At least the first of the two should be VERY SIMPLE to implement. In fact, considering the class of the camera, I am surprised that it was not present in the initial version and has not been included in the first firmware update. In my book, a glaring omission.

1) Adding the Auto ISO option in manual mode. Some may say they don't (understand the) need (for) it - that does not mean it should not be there. It is all about photographic choice and this is a prosumer camera ... so Pentax, wake up!!!
2) Upping the electronic shutter limit of 2 seconds to at least 15 seconds, preferably 30. Come on, I had cheaper and more primitive compacts with electronic shutter several years ago who could do much better than 2 seconds. Sheesh, Pentax ... just sheesh!!!

12-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kirill_est Quote
Now I believe that my bullet points below are eminently implementable via firmware upgrade. At least the first of the two should be VERY SIMPLE to implement. In fact, considering the class of the camera, I am surprised that it was not present in the initial version and has not been included in the first firmware update. In my book, a glaring omission.

1) Adding the Auto ISO option in manual mode. Some may say they don't (understand the) need (for) it - that does not mean it should not be there. It is all about photographic choice and this is a prosumer camera ... so Pentax, wake up!!!
2) Upping the electronic shutter limit of 2 seconds to at least 15 seconds, preferably 30. Come on, I had cheaper and more primitive compacts with electronic shutter several years ago who could do much better than 2 seconds. Sheesh, Pentax ... just sheesh!!!
I'll second both of those.
Auto ISO in M mode (TAv) is essential, I'm sick of adjusting ISO in A to force a suitable shutter speed, since non-Q (or toy lens) lens defaults to 1/100s as the fastest unless you're in very good light.

To add to the list, "macro" AF with the 01 and 02 lenses needs to be fixed. If Pentax wants an average person to consider this camera, it has to AF at any distance the lens is capable without issue. It's frustrating to watch it hunt into focus then give you the red frame.

Last edited by Mock; 12-05-2011 at 10:26 AM.
12-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kirill_est Quote

HI Kirill_est,

I'm not defending Pentax here, but they've never included Auto ISO capability in Manual Mode on any of their cameras, and I can see the logic. Manual Mode is fully manual without any automatic intervention. instead, they offered TAV mode which is the same thing. That being said, I agree that Auto ISO should be an option with manually selected Tv and Av constants, and Pentax could be consistent with their naming conventions by offering a menu choice to allow activation of a TAV sub mode when Manual is selected.

I also have a feeling that the electronic shutter's capabilities may not have been fully utilized in the Q's firmware, but I really don't know enough about the state of the art in electronic shutters, and there are different challenges applying electronic shutters in CCD and CMOS sensors. Comparing the capabilities of previous cameras may not really be truly fair, but it's certainly not unreasonable.

It's possible that Pentax/Hoya, in some haste to announce the Q before the division's sale was announced, might have not included the full set of possible features that the sensor is capable of supporting -- I'm personally hoping that this is the case, especially concerning flash.

Here's my suggested list of issues that should be addressed, not in any particular order of importance:

1. Enable SR for non-system lenses. Adapted lenses on Pentax DSLRs can be used with the advantage of SR, this should also be possible with the Q. I realize that this might be difficult as the extreme crop factor increases the apparent shake exponentially with relatively small increases in FL, but I'll take any help here that I can get -- Limit the (actual) FL that can be manually selected to 150mm if needed, but give me something, please.

2. Fix the flash. There are a number of issues in this area:

A. Enable normal triggering of non-P-TTL external flashes and flash triggers through the hotshoe. This is now only possible with system lenses when the flash is turned off in the flash menu, and there seems to be no way that external non-dedicated flash can be triggered at all with adapted lenses.

a. For whatever reason, P-TTL flash, both popup and external works to a usable extent (for me, at least) with adapted lenses, but only in slow synch and Red Eye modes. Although this is not supposed to work, and I understand the reasons, I'd like to see this capability retained with whatever caveats might be needed to prevent problems with consumer complaints. If the issues with electronic flash can be addressed (as mentioned in "C" below), then I'd like to see the possibility of using P-TTL flash with adapted lenses in more normal P-TTL modes.

B. Enable Wireless Remote TTL flash with either the popup flash, a capable external P-TTL flash on the hotshoe, or both. The Q is positioned as a "prosumer" compact camera -- this kind of capability would solidify that position for advanced users. I would assume that this would only be possible with Q system lenses, and I'm fine with that.

C. Enable, if possible, a faster flash sync speed for the electronic shutter. For my use, 1/180 is workable though many complain about it being too slow for their use for outdoor fill flash. 1/13, however really cramps my personal style, as I'd like to shoot the Q with adapted dedicated macro lenses handheld in normal daylight, and this is just not workable since with the Q's sensor only allows for wider aperture use to prevent issues with diffraction, and wide apertures, 1/13 shutter speeds, and flash to freeze camera shake and subject motion do not mix well with daylight ambient light levels. I realize that this might not be possible, but even 1/180 would make things considerably better for my use, and faster still would actually be something that could be pointed to as an advanced feature.

3. Offer an option to turn the LV LCD off. This might not be a much used option, but for street shooting and candids with an OVF, having the option to turn the LCD off (other than by pressing the "Info" button twice, which is negated when the camera is either turned off or goes to sleep) would be welcomed by me, at least. I'm willing to forgo all of the advantages of the LCD to save battery power for these types of shooting.

BTW -- OT -- A lower priced quality OVF would also be welcomed, but that's not a FW issue, so OT, but I'll add my 2 anyway here. Personally, I've turned to Leica for my relatively economical (very ironically) OVF alternative in their long discontinued Brightline 50. It's considerably tighter in framing, but workable for me, and I now have an Ex copy, plus a beater, both for considerably less than what the Pentax OVF would have cost me had I bought one. BTW, the Q is very good in this application IMO (though I am not the most qualified to comment about these genres). With an OVF, totally relying on the very quick and accurate AF, I've had very good success so far in my admittedly limited experience with the 01 prime both outdoors and in good indoor light.

4. Allow for increased magnification in the Manual Focusing Aid with the LCD. This has been mentioned by most of the reviewers so far. This might not help as much as these people think, but it can't hurt. My feeling is that the LV LCD image projected is at a lower resolution than what is possible with the LCD, but I definitely could be wrong. My justification for this feeling is that when I take shot, the instant review image is sharper than the image that I focused with. If this is the case, then the lower res is probably done to cut processing time and the resultant LCD lag. If this is the case, then it might be possible to create a menu item where the user can choose between shorter LCD lag and higher resolution for greater focusing accuracy potential. There are arguments favoring either for different genres of photography, and if we can choose depending on the situation, then that would be great.

5. I'd like to see an implementation of Focus Trap (Catch In Focus) in the Q. I don't know if this is possible with CD focusing, but I imagine it is since there are focus lock indicators and there's the option to choose between Focus or Shutter priority in the shutter release.

This sounds like a long list, but IMO, none of these is a deal breaker for me, and I've either worked around the problems caused or have a solution, but haven't tried it yet.

For me, the Q is working well as a serious camera, and I'm having a lot of fun with all the possibilities that it presents me with. I think that Pentax/Hoya skipped over some possibilities in the features and FW though, and I hope that Pentax/Ricoh will show a commitment to correcting these.

Scott
12-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I primarily use manual focus lenses on my K-7, and I use snap focus on my GRDII, so my requests are related to focus.

1. Snap focus. Please Ricoh, make the Q the GRD with a normal lens that people want. I know that the handling isn't the same, but it's close. User-selectable snap focus distance (like in newer GRD) would also be appreciated.

2. Focus distance meter. This should also show the depth of field range (like in the GRD).

I also support having a "screen off" option. Optical viewfinder + snap focus + screen off = bliss.

Adam

12-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok I've now found something I see as a limitation for some shooting I've been doing lately.. I see no reason it could not be fixed VIA firmware update..

Bracketed shooting = up the amount of bracketed shots from 5 to 7 or 9.
Interval shooting = max the number of shots to 9999 or unlimited.. depending on the amount of time laps, 999 frames isn't enough!
I've already hot 800+ images in one outing and I'm wondering what I'm going to need to do for an over-night time lapse.. I prefer smooth animation and I'm just not sure yet about how far apart I can go before the motion doesn't look seamless yet.

Last edited by Chex; 12-12-2011 at 03:47 PM.
12-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #6

Original Poster
Well this one can't be done via firmware upgrade but still:
Interval shooting = Pentax, please start selling the K-AC115 power adapter
12-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

yes, that would be great too, but I find that if I had to I could swap the D-Li 90 batter out and throw in the 'AA' tray and depending on the interval time span, I could probably have the D-Li 90 charged and ready to put back in.. But for faster paced shooting that just might not work.. could be a slight missed gap as I would change out the AA's in the tray then..
12-13-2011, 05:15 AM   #8

Original Poster
Well swapping batteries (and why D-Li 90, I thought the Q could only take the 68 variety?? Also, what is this AA tray you mention, a DIY thing or...??) is no good when you have the camera doing the interval shooting for a long period of time and/or a time lapse clip, especially when you have other things to do in the meantime.

But something else that CAN be implemented via a firmware upgrade:
Enable all the usual shooting/scene modes when either of the 3 non-AF Q lenses are used. Right now one is stuck with A and M modes and this is quite honestly ridiculous. I sometimes need to have access to some of the scene mode stuff, for instance the Night HDR mode is useful, and I am sure the camera is smart enough to work around the fixed aperture and the 2-second shutter speed limitation (which is a disgrace in itself, hopefully upped in the next firmware upgrade) by raising ISO.

12-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Sorry, I was speaking of the battery grip BG-4 for the K-5 and K-7. I was doing a thread search for Firmware upgrade.. didn't see WHERE the thread was posted (in the Q Forum) until just now.. so yeah.. um.. Just ignore my ramblings..
12-24-2011, 05:45 AM   #10
Site Supporter

After using the Q 3 months.

1. Losslessly compress Raw files. So camera ca shoo faster.
2. Add image stabilization for adapted lenses.
3. Fix flash to work with adapted lenses - external won't even fire in manual. We basically have a flash system that works with two lenses!
4. Raise 1/13 electronic shutter flash sync. Fear this can't be done. If it can why build leaf shutters into premium lenses?
5. Extend electronic shutter longer than 2 seconds.
6. Enable 3 shot hdr to either be taken in raw or at least be able to save jpeg as raw.
7. Fix 3 shot hdr quirk. After camera combines images it doesn't automatically show final image on lcd.
8. Allow camera to send liveview out of video port while shooting. The Q would be an incredible pole shot camera because of its size.
9. Allow creative filter groups to be mixed on the front dial.
10. Enable multiple exposures in raw.
11. Tethering. Tried pktether - no dice.

Absolutely love my Q!
thanks
barondla
12-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #11

Live HDMI would be super cool
Programmable Front 4 way dial (assignable)
Faster AF !!!
Compressed RAW
Increased Video Bitrates for Full HD video (tops out at 14 mbps- NEX are doubled)
~~~~~~~
Not Firmware- but PLEASE release some good lenses- we need some variety!!!!
Small Shoe Mount Flash would be cool too!!!!
12-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #12

Allow auto focus green box to show focus achieved with manual focus lenses re: the fisheye and toy lenses. My old *ist DS allowed for this, and that camera is how many years old and how many generations of Pentax soft/firmware removed by now?

Don
12-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Allow Select Focus Point with MF lenses.