Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #1

One flash for Pentax Q and Samsung NX?

Is there any chance of finding either a Pentax or a Samsung or a third-party TTL flash for Pentax or Samsung that will work both with the Q and a Samsung NX mirrorless cam? It is not exactly like these two companies are mortal enemies likes Canon vs Nikon, etc., I remember reading there was some degree of accessory compatibility?
Or if there is no chance in hell, I will probably have to buy something non-TTL, like Metz 20 C-2, but then I need to make sure that there will be no trigger voltage issues. My assumption is that all newer non-TTL flashes for digital cameras have sufficiently low trigger voltage to work with all brands of cameras, does anyone know for sure? :-(

12-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Samsung had their own flash line with older cameras like the 815 pro and after divorce with Pentax they returned to it. So no chance to share TTL. But if you don't need ttl you can use some generic auto or manual flash. TTL flashes may not work when placed on incompatible body, but insulating smaller contacts around center helps to overcome this. This is how I use Pentax plash on Canon camera.
12-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Think any new flash would be designed for low trigger voltage now. Doesn't the Q balk at firing a non Pttl flash with adapted lenses? If so that would convince me to buy a Pttl flash.
thanks
barondla
12-21-2011, 02:03 AM   #4

Original Poster
This is doing my head in, I thought trigger voltage would be the only issue for non-TTL. Come to think of it, the built-in Q flash (TTL innit?) is not very good with the Pentax toy/non-AF lenses either, of which I have two already. The flash totally ingores the focusing distance for such lenses, obviously this means that there is not even very crude focus distance feedback to the camera from these lenses, which is really sad. How difficult/expensive it would have been for Pentact to integrate a simple focus ring position sensor? Oh well, I think I just won't bother with a universal external flash under the circumstances and I certainly can't afford to buy two TTL units for two cameras. Rarely do flash photography and it would not be expedient beyond a very moderate price point.