Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What is your position on Q now?
I have Q already. 1715.74%
I have another camera of similar size/performance. 76.48%
I want no mirrorless camera at all. 1211.11%
I'd buy Q for lower price. 3229.63%
I'd buy Q sucessor with better performance. 87.41%
I miss macro lens for Q system.   00%
I miss better telephoto lens for Q system.   00%
I miss better wide angle lens with Q system. 21.85%
I want a superzoom lens with Q. 10.93%
Another reason. 2926.85%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I liked the idea, I even liked the prototype of C-mount camera by Kenko that preceded the Q and was a similar concept. But as a toy for C-mount lenses it is expensive and Q-mount lenses are not that special so far to justify the body price. If there was a 6mm f1.2 prime available for Q mount, I'd change my mind quickly.

01-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As cool as the idea is Sensor is too small for me, and for the money i'd rather put it towards a different Camera. I want something smaller but there hasn't been anything that really grabbed me aside from leica's m9 (which i will never afford without a lottery win)

Fuji's upcoming X-Pro1 will likely fill the bill from the looks of it, and i will have to sell off a lot of kit to get it but am willing to do so if it lives up to the specs. I'll likely sell off my medium format too get it (and some little used Pentax kit as well keeping the K7 and a few lenses for SLR work
01-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member

My little 6MP pink pocket digital camera cost $5 at Goodwill. The way I see it that's all I need unless I am grabbing an SLR or DSLR. If I need to change lenses I want a real camera to hold onto, not a tiny limited gadget camera. It's cute and if you're into shooting with a mini camera I suppose it could be useful, for concerts and such, but if I'm going to get that invested in shooting something I want a regular camera and traditional lenses in front of my face. It's too expensive for what it is.
01-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Too expensive, too small (how silly would a a real big guy look taking pictures with it?), and I don't wan't interchangeble lens P&S. Defeats the purpose. I would much rather have the X-10 if it was a hundred bucks cheaper.

01-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
If I need to change lenses I want a real camera to hold onto, not a tiny limited gadget camera.
Exactly.
01-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The size doesn't bother me, in fact I like small cameras for carrying to remote locations. If it took photos anywhere near what my K-x can do I'd be very interested. But it doesn't and I'm not.
01-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought one of the little things. For whatever reason, it appealed to my sense of cool gadgets. It is very easy to carry, and the image quality is OK. A friend of mine picked up whatever the latest and greatest Panasonic, the Pentax takes better pictures up to 800ISO. This is fine for my needs with what I require from a snapshot camera. It actually does very good video, I haven't directly compared, but I think better than my K5. It's certainly easier to keep steady.
People who complain about the price will complain about anything. The price is what the price is. If it suits your budget, great, if not, move on to something cheaper. It won't feel as good in the hands, and I suspect this is what is making the Q a bit pricier. The Q has a very good tactile feel to it, much better than any of the other compacts I've tried while at my local pushers, which is most of the major brands.
It needs more lenses of it's own, though it is fun to use K mount lenses on, especially if one likes extreme telephoto.

01-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
People who complain about the price will complain about anything. The price is what the price is. If it suits your budget, great, if not, move on to something cheaper. It won't feel as good in the hands, and I suspect this is what is making the Q a bit pricier. The Q has a very good tactile feel to it, much better than any of the other compacts I've tried while at my local pushers, which is most of the major brands.
It needs more lenses of it's own, though it is fun to use K mount lenses on, especially if one likes extreme telephoto.
The OP asked why people didn't want the Q, and the price is at the top of most people's list.
01-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #24
Banned

Photos: Albums
I was interested in the Q, but I was more interested in a waterproof camera that I could use in conditions in which I cannot use other cameras. So I got the Lumix TS3. It turned out to be a great camera overall and it is already compact, so that pretty much killed my interest for the Q. Particularly, since the TS3 is not bad even in low light:

ISO 500, handheld, with the multiple exposure NR trick:
01-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
The OP asked why people didn't want the Q, and the price is at the top of most people's list.
To be honest, I expected more pople to be reluctant to buy it as there are not enough lens options, i.e. waiting for brighter or macro lenses, maybe a telezoom. But it seems that the only major expectation is that the price should go down.
01-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I'm sure that the expectation is for a larger lens selection as time goes along.
01-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right. I'm not going to worry about lens choices until I can afford one in the first place!
01-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Q was doomed from the beginning. Makes you wonder what's going on inside Pentax.
01-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Q was doomed from the beginning. Makes you wonder what's going on inside Pentax.
Really??? I was under the impression it's sold reasonably well (release month it was top 10 in japan). it may not be the camera for you (or me for that matter) but it does seem a decent little camera. I've yet to read a huge complaint from anyone who bought it (can't say that about most cameras)
01-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Japan is a gadget country and people buy anything the latest. However, the success of any products do not depend on initial burst but long term worldwide sales too. The Q? Not cute financially.