Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Contemplating Q

after reading some posts and watching YouTube demos....
my favourite ( by knightzerox):
Pentax Q Review - YouTube
although I dislike photo-boxes without viewfinders, I think I could enjoy the Q ( I love old lenses!).
now, a few practical questions:
1 / the most useful P110 to Q adaptor with infinity ( Kipon any one tested??) , lens with no aperture blades, wide open, all simple.
2/ the most useful M42 to Q adaptor with infinity , lens with preset or M/A switch in AV, all simple
3/ the most useful K to Q adaptor with infinity, now.... stop down/green button combination not usable so AV??
4/ usable 3" LCD viewfinder attachment ( NEEWER , Z-Finder, Swi-View, LCDVF, IndiProco , 3x GGS Perfect etc etc) , anyone had a go?
that actually could be cool , with 300m F4 on one side and big black VF on the other
5/ C to Q , is it worth considering, are those security lenses of any use, IQ?
6/ some guidelines for choosing the upper F limitations per each focal length, small sensor,small pixels + 5.53x crop ( there is a proper terminology for it,
sorry, can not remember).
7/ what are the limits on SR focal lengths , on my KX/K7 the limits are 8-800mm?

well....it is a bit of too late , kind of history now, I just won the Q on AU eBay for AU$445.01 incl registered delivery, black kit with Lens 01 + 02.
brand new with full 12 months Pentax AU warranty! Incredible!
I did buy from the same place a Pentax grip for K7 , brand new with warranty for AU158.50 all OK, so they are the honest people.
How is that possible? well never-mind, I am happy

kind regards
jack

01-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Your pondering may be history now, as you put it, but I think we'll all be interested to see your results, especially after all the negativity expressed in some quarters, here and elsewhere. However, I do recall one of the more considered contributors expressing a similar, favourable view of the Q's possibilities with long lenses.

So, let's see some results, fairly soon, please.
01-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

get the finder
01-12-2012, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
I think I could enjoy the Q ( I love old lenses!).
now, a few practical questions:
1 / the most useful P110 to Q adaptor with infinity ( Kipon any one tested??) , lens with no aperture blades, wide open, all simple.
Hi Jack,

I have the Kipon, ordered it right before Xmas so there were probably some shipping delays -- but took only 10 days Hong Kong to Chicago. Very nice quality. I have the 4 standard primes and shooting is indeed simple. I shoot all the adapted lenses in Av priority, w/Auto ISO 125-3200 -- pretty brainless if you want. . .

Kipon Adapter for PTX AUTO 110 P110 mount lens to Pentax Q Camera EXPRESS MAIL! | eBay

QuoteQuote:
2/ the most useful M42 to Q adaptor with infinity , lens with preset or M/A switch in AV, all simple
Don't have a specific adapter for this as I use M42>K adapters and a K>Q. Focusing stopped down is not too much a problem since the LCD gains up when you stop down, and usually f4-5.6 is about as far as you want to go anyway.

QuoteQuote:
3/ the most useful K to Q adaptor with infinity, now.... stop down/green button combination not usable so AV??
I have both an RJ C>Q + Bower K>C combo and an RJ K>Q adapter. The combo adapters have an ∞ focus problem with at least one of my lenses (the Bower K>C adapter is a very cheap one, and I think it's to blame), but the direct K>Q adapter works fine with all the lenses that I've tried so far (I have quite a few). The RJ K>Q has an aperture ring with 6 click stop positions to adjust the aperture on DA lenses (would also stop down other series lenses, but the aperture ring on the lens is easier). Again, I just shoot Av most of the time with Auto ISO and just meter the scene in stopped down mode.

RJ Pentax PK PK-A AF DA lens to Pentax Q adapter with tripod mount aperture ring | eBay

QuoteQuote:
4/ usable 3" LCD viewfinder attachment ( NEEWER , Z-Finder, Swi-View, LCDVF, IndiProco , 3x GGS Perfect etc etc) , anyone had a go?
that actually could be cool , with 300m F4 on one side and big black VF on the other
I've been using either a Hoodman or the Chinese magnifying loupe with adapted lenses to focus, and both work fine. Lately, I've been working without either and am getting reasonably good at focusing without either, but the loupes allow me to stabilize the camera against my eye, so they're still a bit better for technique. The Chinese magnifying loupe has a huge eyecup that looks unwieldy, but is very soft, blocks all extraneous light (even when wearing glasses), and is not as bizarre in practice as it looks. It also attaches via magnets, so it's pretty easy to use in the field. The Q does not offer Focus Assist (magnifying the LV screen for focusing) with adapted lenses as yet (I'm hoping for a FW update to cure this)

QuoteQuote:
5/ C to Q , is it worth considering, are those security lenses of any use, IQ?
Although I have a C>Q adapter, I actually only got it to use with a K>C adapter before a direct K>Q adapter was available. I've not ventured into C mounts since I know little or nothing about them, and there's a lot to consider when choosing them. My impression is that the majority of the security lenses probably won't offer that much in the way of IQ since they're really designed for much lower sensor resolution, but I really can't say. . . I've got more than enough to do at this point trying out my K mounts since when you mount any of these SLR lenses, it changes their nature so dramatically with the 5.53x "crop" factor.

QuoteQuote:
6/ some guidelines for choosing the upper F limitations per each focal length, small sensor,small pixels + 5.53x crop ( there is a proper terminology for it,
sorry, can not remember).
You're probably thinking of diffraction limiting of resolution. Most seem to feel that f4-5.6 is about the upper limit regardless of FL, but I've gotten workable images smaller than f5.6 -- just needed to do a bit more sharpening in post.

QuoteQuote:
7/ what are the limits on SR focal lengths , on my KX/K7 the limits are 8-800mm?
Unfortunately, at this time, SR is not supported with adapted lenses. I'm hoping for a FW update to change this in the near future. Until then, since most of my focus is on extreme tele use, I'll just use a tripod

QuoteQuote:
well....it is a bit of too late , kind of history now, I just won the Q on AU eBay for AU$445.01 incl registered delivery, black kit with Lens 01 + 02.
brand new with full 12 months Pentax AU warranty! Incredible!
Congrats on getting the Q so inexpensively! I'm not jealous, even though I paid full price as an early adopter. The Q with adapted lenses is truly an adventure in both tele and macro shooting -- something that most Q detractors don't seem to be able to comprehend.

Scott

01-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I trax, congratations on winning a Q for such a price. It is a great camera. Bought mine when it first came out. Half the time I use it as a point & shoot. The rest of the time it is on an adapted telephoto lens. Fave so far is Pentax DA300 f4. Don't use a hoodman yet - haven't really needed it. If snostorm is saying the Q won't magnify the LV image for manual focusing, he is mistaken. Go to menu> "camera" page 1> focus settings > MF assist. Then select 2 or 4X. camera will then magnify the lcd image when you press OK button. It goes back to normal view when the shutter button is depressed or after a certain length of time. My Q does have firmware update 1.01, but I think it did focus assist right out of the box.
thanks
barondla
01-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

barondla is correct about the focus assist! Thanks -- that makes things a lot easier. I'm not much of a LV user with my Pentax DSLRs, or I probably would have tried this. . .

Scott
01-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
thank you all for very comprehensive technical response.
particularly snostorm ( details were overwhelming! ) , your reply should be copied to some kind of "Q knowledge base" on this forum.
... and of course the "diffraction" that's what I was thinking about.....
and rather disappointing news about SR on K lenses.
kind regards
jack
04-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
Inactive Account

360 Mega Pixel Pentax

Hi ,, Pentax Lovers,, like my self!! As I do my math,, the Pentax Q,,, if it was full frame,, would have 360 Mega Pixels !!! ?? The lens resoling power would have to be ,, THE BEST IN the WORLD, for that density of pixels sites.. What long lens ,, ( macro maybe a 200 ) could I put on the Q with the Adaptor and get Wonderful results??? I was hoping to put on a 600 mm 6x7 f4 lens on to the adaptor. I do not believe it has enough resolving power for the Q.. Robert

04-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert Cook Quote
Hi ,, Pentax Lovers,, like my self!! As I do my math,, the Pentax Q,,, if it was full frame,, would have 360 Mega Pixels !!! ?? The lens resoling power would have to be ,, THE BEST IN the WORLD, for that density of pixels sites.. What long lens ,, ( macro maybe a 200 ) could I put on the Q with the Adaptor and get Wonderful results??? I was hoping to put on a 600 mm 6x7 f4 lens on to the adaptor. I do not believe it has enough resolving power for the Q.. Robert
Hi Robert,

I'd not get too hung up in the math. You are correct that a full 135mm sensor would need over 300 MP to have the same pixel density (APS-C would need @ 156 MP) and "FF" sensors are said to reveal the faults of less than premium level lenses -- but these criticisms are usually primarily concerning the edges and corners of the images. With the Q it's different -- don't forget that with adapted lenses, the Q only uses the sweetest of the sweet spot of any lens' image circle. Premium lenses will, of course give the best results, but even good consumer grade lenses can do well.

If you're thinking that you want "equivalent" images to what you're getting with a DSLR, then you'll likely be disappointed. It's unrealistic to expect a sensor that is 1/13 the area (of an APS-C) to give equivalent results, but the Q's sensor does a much more than credible job. With some PP, the images one can get are easily more than adequate for most IMO.

I've posted results from a number of K mount lenses in separate posts on this forum, but summarized them somewhat in this post:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q-forum/172196-lets-share-shots-q-8.html#post1911343

A number of others are currently experimenting with the Q and SLR lenses on this forum and DPR Pentax Talk (on the latter, for some very extreme tele results, look up "brandrx" for some very recent posts with an older Nikon 400/2.8 -- some with TCs for some really outrageous FL EQs (over 4000mm EQs).

The real challenges with extreme telephoto lenses adapted to the Q are technique and support gear, probably moreso than lens resolving power, IMO. At over 1000mm APS-C FOV EQ (@ 270mm on the Q), it gets extremely hard to sight subjects, it's challenging to gain critical focus on the LCD, and tiny levels of vibration will deteriorate image quality. The thing is -- it's really fun having the opportunity to get shots at FL EQs that are impossible to achieve with larger format cameras. . . of course YMMV, but if you decide to take the plunge, I think you have a good shot of liking it.

Scott
04-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Thank You Scott

Thank you Scott ,, I will check out the links and good stuff ,, A quick look at your Pics, with the 300 ,, Very Cool !! Major reach .. and it looks like a blast.. I am sure the MAJOR effort is to keep the camera and lens steady!! Interesting camera the Q is .. Thank You .. Robert
04-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

if you're seriously considering a Q, the price just dropped by $250, down to $499. Might be worth taking advantage of!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/183797-499-new-pentax-q.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Thank You Adam, for the price info. Robert