Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2012, 04:56 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Best Xmas present ever

Happy new year to everyone!
I got my Q as Xmas present from my beloved, And I have to say that I am wholeheartedly happy with it. Telling so, I am comparing it with my k-5, my Leica X1, and my Canon Powershot S90. Except for the k-5 (which is a totally different class) the Q is makes me feel much a happier photographer than the two other cams. I think that most of this sensation is rested with the feel I get when I'm using it: I'm confident and "connected" with it as I am with my dSLR. That's what really matters when you are using a camera, IMHO. And if one is happy and confident, chances to get better pictures get higher, don't you think?

As a side note, my latest Q shot has been just EXPLORED on Flickr. By the way, I think that the Q is particularly versed in B&W.

Oh, did I mention I love this camera?

01-12-2012, 05:49 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Great to hear, I love mine as well. I take both my K-5 and Q out at the same time and get shots with both. It is a fun and very capable camera. I don't care what the naysayers say about it. If it makes you happy that all that counts. Plus, you have taken some great photos!!
01-12-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nostalgique! I love the photo, I love the mountains.
now I live in Western Australia ( +38C today) no snow or mountains on the horizons.
I am going back to Europe in ~ 6 weeks time, the Q ( with 01+02) is on its way to me so I might just leave all DSLR gear behind and take the Q with me.
predominantly indoors + urban activities in European late winter / early spring time, so pretty dark.
first have to play with it, and I hope I will love it too
kind regards
jack
01-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Great B&W Paolo. You are really showing what the Q is capable of. The tonalities are beautiful. Love my Q also.
thanks
barondla

01-13-2012, 02:19 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your appreciation, guys!
01-13-2012, 02:43 AM   #6

So Paolo, which Q lens(es) have you got and which would you like to buy extra? I have the Q prime kit, I also immediately purchased the 160-degree fisheye that provides good image quality and later bought the tiny 100mm lens that may look like a toy but produces fine images. Might buy the zoom as it is already just 200 GBP, but not mission-critical for me.
01-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Kirill,
the present only included the 01 prime but I plan to extend the set as soon as I can. Next in list is the zoom, quickly followed by the fisheye. Rumors say that probably more new lenses will follow (a prime tele would be great!), so after the zoom I think I will wait for news...
How's your experience with manual focusing with the 100mm? Is it easy and quick enough?
01-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Paolo.Bosetti Quote
How's your experience with manual focusing with the 100mm? Is it easy and quick enough?
It is OK when you shoot distant stuff, I mean you can focus once on something distant and then you don't have to worry about re-focusing because everything will be in focus starting from several metres to eternity, the benefit of 8,0 aperture coupled with a small sensor. Several recent images in my blog (see signature), starting from the two dogs in the snow and until the St Paul's view from last spring, were shot with this lens last week. I shot something distant and then I saw the dogs about 4 metres from me and I did not have time to re-focus and I still got a gorgeous sharp shot of them and they stopped posing half a second after that. Focusing takes a second or two, so if you are photographing mobile objects that are really close to you, less that 4 metres, then this lens will probably disapoint you, but it is OK for static objects - and any objects that are sufficently remote when you are already focused on something distant.