Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
40.5mm hood for Q

Hi, shooting in a bright daylight, do we need a hood, should we get one?
I believe that only 01+02 have a filter thread (40.5mm), get one from Pentax or anything cheaper from eBay?
kind regards
jack

01-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I haven't see the Pentax hood for sale anywhere, so I'd just get a generic one. Should work fine, just remember to use the 35mm-equivalent FLs when choosing the hood (they are 47mm and 28-80mm respectively).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lens Hood Shade fits Pentax Q SMC 5-15mm f2.8-4.5 02 Standard Zoom PH-SBA 40.5mm | eBay
01-16-2012, 01:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I have the "curved" sided one of these.

Metal 40.5mm Vented Curved Hood for Leica Leitz Lenses | eBay

40.5mm lens hood for Leica Voigtlander Summicron Elmar | eBay

They are metal and look to be very durable. It does vignette a little on the zoom at the widest FLs, but it's due to the depth of the threaded part at the back of the lens and not the length of the hood or the fact that it angles in. Sooner or later, I'll take my Dremel tool out and grind this down a bit, but I haven't bothered yet. a bonus is that the standard OEM front lens cap fits in the hood as it does on the lens.

These are screw-in hoods, so the one linked by Clicker might be more convenient if it's a bayonet since that would allow it to be mounted reversed for carrying. It seems as if they have knock off hoods for other Pentax lenses, and I believe that these are bayonets like the originals, so there's a chance that this one is also. I'd ask the seller if that's the case, as it might be worth the extra cost for the convenience.

Scott

01-18-2012, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

That first lens hood is for the zoom and wont work on the 01 lens, i have it, its bayonet mount and plastic, real nice actually for the price your paying. Look for the jjc metal lens hood for 01 lens on ebay i have that one too, thats for the prime and its metal and comes with a screw on metal cap...
01-18-2012, 05:56 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
thank you all!
eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r
bmonki, is that it?
kind regards
jack
01-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

yes that is it, its actually really nice, I actually have a pretty complete Q setup lacking just the OVF I think I will post pictures of it today...
01-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Just to update this thread,

I just received the JJC hoods for the 01 Prime and the 02 Zoom. I assume that these are direct knock offs of the OEM hoods, but will never really know since the Pentax hoods are pretty incredibly overpriced IMO, so I'll probably never actually see one. . .

The metal hood for the 01 Prime is very nice, only very slightly mismatches the color of the lens, and is very compact, only barely adding to the length of the lens. My only possible objection is the screw in hood -- it takes quite a few turns to get it off. I was hoping the snap on cap from the P110 24mm would fit, but it's just a little too big. . . For now, I've stretched a tiny rubber band (like the ones used by orthodontists) around the threads on the stock cap to make it tighten down with less than a full turn of the cap. It's still secure and seals, but comes off faster. . .Easily recommended.

The plastic hood for the 02 zoom is okay, but a bit thin for my taste. It is a bayonet and can be reversed on the lens for compact storage though, and should effectively block stray light and protect the lens front element, but it distorts in shape easily when trying to mount or dismount it from the lens, and the bayonet lugs don't release well when the hood is distorted, so I have to be very gentle mounting or dismounting this hood. Still, for the compact and convenient reversed storage, and relative ease of mounting compared to a screw in hood, I'd recommend it. BTW, the hood will mount or dismount from the lens in either direction with the OEM lens cap in place if that matters to anyone else.

I got these from AR Photo and Video ("arphotovideo" on Ebay) as they are a US seller, and though these were a little more expensive than the Hong Kong and Chinese sellers, they also had some oddball filter step up and step down rings that I wanted for use with some of my P110 lenses. This transaction was flawless, so I can recommend the seller.

Scott

01-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Snostorm, thanks for the hood info. How do you like the 110 lenses on the Q? I went to order the adapter tonight and didn't see any offered for the Q! Not sure where they went.
thanks
barondla
01-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
How do you like the 110 lenses on the Q? I went to order the adapter tonight and didn't see any offered for the Q! Not sure where they went.
Hi barondla,

The seller "breguetcamera" on Ebay has apparently taken down all of their listings until Jan 27 for the Chinese New Year.

So far, I'm not overly impressed with the P110 lenses on the Q for their performance as tele lenses, as my K mount lenses seem to perform considerably better -- but I've yet to really use them in the field because it's winter, so I'll reserve final judgment on them in this regard until I can use them in real-life situations. . .with the newly discovered focusing aid capabilities thanks to your recent post. I'm hoping that I can find some way to use them for this purpose since they're so tiny.

I am more impressed with them so far (I have all the primes except for the 18mm pan focus) with the OEM close ups for macro (I have all of the original close ups), and I just got the step up rings to try my achromatic diopters (Nikon 4T and Raynox DCR 250) with them. First impressions say that my K mount dedicated macros will ultimately get me better magnification and IQ, but part of my attraction to the Q for macro work is the convenience of the very small size for awkward handheld shooting, and the very considerable size advantage of the P110 lenses will work in their favor if they can perform well enough to make the tradeoff worthwhile. . . I've got a lot of testing to do here, but that's one thing winter is good for. . .

I'm also considering getting some additional achromatic diopters -- OEC camera has the Marumi acromats in 52mm size in +3 and +5 at @ $59 each, so they're easily available and not incredibly pricey, and they're offering 10% off any order of 3 items from their Amazon store. They also have a very large assortment of Arca compatible plates and adapters, so putting together a 3 item order shouldn't be much of a problem for me. . .

The Q's flash anomalies are also holding back my macro testing. . . I'm looking into getting some multi LED video lights as an alternative to flash, but am hoping that some firmware fixes will make this unnecessary. The video lights still might be useful, but effective flash could change my needs for this type of lighting considerably, so I'm holding off on this for a bit and doing some more research.

Scott
01-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Snostorm, hadn't thought about the Chinese new year. Makes sense. I also have the Pentax cu filters for the 110 lenses and a few Nikon and Sigma 2 element achromats. The Nikon and Sigma are optimized for tele lenses. Any idea how the Marumi are designed? Be nice if Pentax made a closeup filter for the Q! Can't be any harder than the pola filter they brought out.

Flash is a bottle neck on macro. If I remember correctly it won't even shoot external flash with adapted lens. Hopefully this will be resolved with firmware update.

It is interesting that you go by snostorm and don't like to participate in winter photography. Lol. Not a huge cold weather fan myself.

thanks
barondla