Veteran Member

07-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #213
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stunning guys. Just stunning.
07-11-2012, 08:32 AM - 2 Likes   #214
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Finally joining the party after being wishy washy about buying one at the right price.

Still very preliminary, but I've got to say that this camera has the potential that many of the armchair theorists that lurk on PF simply fail to see.

Pentax Q with F100/2.8 macro

uncropped local $10 note (this is not the main figure head of the note, probably more like the size of the "illuminati" symbol on the USD note)

cropped edge slightly for better framing (this spider is the size of a grain of rice)

07-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #215
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Super images Froeschle. Particularly like the botanicals. Flower closeup looks 3D.
Great captures bmonki. Favorite is "ring".
Pinhholecam, welcome to the Q family and the forum. You have posted some mighty good macros. The Q has lots of hidden potential in this area. You will find the Q a great amount of fun ( although many seem to find fun and photography mutually exclusive). Don't let the nay sayers dampen your fun.
everyone please share more.
barondla
07-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #216
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Super images Froeschle. Particularly like the botanicals. Flower closeup looks 3D.
Great captures bmonki. Favorite is "ring".
Pinhholecam, welcome to the Q family and the forum. You have posted some mighty good macros. The Q has lots of hidden potential in this area. You will find the Q a great amount of fun ( although many seem to find fun and photography mutually exclusive). Don't let the nay sayers dampen your fun.
everyone please share more.
barondla

Barondla, thanks.
I'm certainly having fun with the Q and as expected, its adding something to the existing Pentax system rather than duplicating/stepping-above it like a m4/3, APS-C, FF system would.

So many things to try out, so little time.... streets, birds, more macros with various setups, etc
07-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #217
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Finally joining the party after being wishy washy about buying one at the right price.

Still very preliminary, but I've got to say that this camera has the potential that many of the armchair theorists that lurk on PF simply fail to see.

Pentax Q with F100/2.8 macro

uncropped local $10 note (this is not the main figure head of the note, probably more like the size of the "illuminati" symbol on the USD note)

cropped edge slightly for better framing (this spider is the size of a grain of rice)
The second image is amazing. Macro shots like these are exactly what I thought of when the Q was announced, and it's great to see someone taking advantage of it to the fullest. How far was your lens from the spider? I'm amazing you were able to get such a steady shot of such a small creature. Did you use a tripod?

Absolutely fantastic work. It's almost like he has a facial expression.

07-12-2012, 04:27 AM   #218
Veteran Member

Some great examples all round. Those macro shots (along with the moon shots on the other thread) are just what I was hoping to see before splashing out on an adaptor. I would be interested in seeing the larger versions on flickr if you are planning to upload them.
07-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #219
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
The second image is amazing. Macro shots like these are exactly what I thought of when the Q was announced, and it's great to see someone taking advantage of it to the fullest. How far was your lens from the spider? I'm amazing you were able to get such a steady shot of such a small creature. Did you use a tripod?

Absolutely fantastic work. It's almost like he has a facial expression.
Thanks for the comment.
The lens was probably 35-40cm away (1:1 is about 30cm for the lens)
Unfortunately the flash sync is only 1/15 with the 3rd party adapter, so I have to make do with 2 table lamps for the time being (captured the subject)
I managed by bracing and the shutter speed was pretty decent at above 1/200 with the lamps, but then at the high magnification, many shots still suffered from camera shake.
Since the concept is now proven, I'm plonking in the cash for a bright video LED light, that can be mounted on the hot shoe.

There is a lot of technique to work on, which is why I mentioned that its still very preliminary.
Trying out with tripod, LCD loupe, multi shots, etc will be the next steps to explore on making the shots better and more consistent.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr Orloff Quote
Some great examples all round. Those macro shots (along with the moon shots on the other thread) are just what I was hoping to see before splashing out on an adaptor. I would be interested in seeing the larger versions on flickr if you are planning to upload them.
If you are referring to my macros shots, then they are 1024 on my flickr.
I must say that a lot of work still needs to be done to eliminate camera shake (ie. tripod, multi-shots, etc)
07-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #220
Veteran Member

Unfortunately the flash sync is only 1/15 with the 3rd party adapter
It seems like Pentax keeps shooting themselves in the foots with features like this and the lack of HDMI out on the K-01. To create a camera with as many possibilities as the Q, then to handicap it like that, makes no sense. Ditto for creating a new imaging engine called Prime-M, with the "m" standing for "movie," but to lack a feature that makes in much more useable (HDMI out). It is really puzzling. It's like there's a lack of communication between the engineers, photographers and videos who use the equipment, and the people who do research to find out what features people are looking for.
07-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #221
Veteran Member

I see, your flickr link is to page 2 of your photostream so I missed them. I can see the camera shake on one of the images (although I've seen a lot worse) but the closer view seems fine. The Q's potential potential clearly demonstrated, particularly at ISO800.
07-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #222
Pentaxian

It seems like Pentax keeps shooting themselves in the foots with features like this and the lack of HDMI out on the K-01. To create a camera with as many possibilities as the Q, then to handicap it like that, makes no sense. Ditto for creating a new imaging engine called Prime-M, with the "m" standing for "movie," but to lack a feature that makes in much more useable (HDMI out). It is really puzzling. It's like there's a lack of communication between the engineers, photographers and videos who use the equipment, and the people who do research to find out what features people are looking for.
Thats the Pentax way

They really need to address the 1/15 sync speed for more ppl to take the Q seriously.
07-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #223
Veteran Member

Thats the Pentax way They really need to address the 1/15 sync speed for more ppl to take the Q seriously.
Yes, and they also need to change their "we'll put 95% of the capabilities, but not the 5% that really enable you to use the 95%" mentality. I realize I am exhagurrating the ratios, but the point is valid. I feel the same way about the fact there is no set of extension tubes for the Q, and no Q to K adapter.

I mean, really? Do these people take photos? For me, extension tubes and a decent sync speed are more integral to a system than a tripod is. And that's saying a lot.
07-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #224
Veteran Member

exhagurrating the ratios,
That was the worst misspelling I have ever committed.
07-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #225
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr Orloff Quote
I see, your flickr link is to page 2 of your photostream so I missed them. I can see the camera shake on one of the images (although I've seen a lot worse) but the closer view seems fine. The Q's potential potential clearly demonstrated, particularly at ISO800.
Yes, camera shake is a major problem at such an extreme equivalent FL (~550mm).
At this point of time, I find that the good images are probably good up till maybe 50% crop. Its still a pns sensor at the end of the day.
The thing that puzzles me is that when I took test shots of text and such, they were good even at 100%, (like that dollar note sample), which hints at such quality being possible.
For now, I can only guess that perhaps the more awkward shooting positions and the need to stop to f8 for the insect macros introduced more camera shake at the slower shutter speed.

OTOH, I can only think of a couple of usage schemes to try any mitigate it. (which I will eventually try)

1. Use a shorter FL macro lens (maybe a 50mm (250mm eq); 35mm (192mm eq). -unfortunately, I don't have a shorter FL macro lens.
2. Use multi shot rather than single shot
3. Use a tripod
4. Use a lcd loupe (which I have)