Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #226

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but 3rd party flash, extension tubes, and a k adapter are all things I could care less about. I'd like to see a Q wide angle prime, and a really fast aperture prime, but that's just dreaming... For a kick around take anywhere camera, the Q nails it. IMO if those items are key, there are many cameras that would do a better job--like a Pentax DSLR. The Q shines as an ultraportable, anything that lessens that really starts missing the point. IMO only, YMMV

07-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with you about the wide angle and the fast prime, and I'd like to see a telephoto prime, too. However, there are some inherent advantages to having a small sensor. Depth of field is the big one, and it can't be easily reproduced on a dslr. They put way too many features and controls into the Q for me not to give it consideration as a serious photographic system.
07-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #228
Site Supporter

Ndjedinak, you are correct that the Q nails the ultra portable gig. But it also extends the ultra tele and macro capabilities of the K system. I have Pentax K DSLRs and can not do the things with it that the Q + Pk adapter allows. With the DA*300 the Q gives the equivalent fov of a 1650mm lens. Where do you get a killer lens of that size, how do you afford it, and how do you carry the 30lbs of equipment? Cropping to match the Q gives you about 2 mp of resolution.
Q Macro offers similar advantages. The small size can also be a benefit when trying to work the camera into certain positions. The Q brings lots of different advantages to the mix. Now if Pentax would bring out their Q-PK shuttered adapter. Also want that fast wide prime and a matching tele.
I want it all!
barondla
07-13-2012, 03:50 AM   #229

Makes sense, barondla, as you point out there are other advantages besides small size to the Q. I suspect those use cases are in the minority, though, which is why you don't see the hardware to support them--the Q has to sell enough base units to support edge cases. Certainly the Q could sell more units servicing those use cases.. But enough to merit their development in a vacuum? I don't know, but I suspect not.

Fuent104: suggesting the Q isn't a "serious photographic system" is stronger language than I think necessary. My favorite camera, the Leica M3, has far greater limitations yet I'd consider it a serious photographic system.

It's all about priorities, intended use and user perception. I expect if the Q sells well enough it will flesh out like a traditional SLR system. However, I also suspect the Q isn't selling well enough (certainly not in the USA where we saw a recent $349 sale) and I am not holding my breath for any of the roadmapped lenses or accessories... Let alone something that has never been announced (like the fast prime I dream about). From my perspective, I'd prefer to figure out how to celebrate the Q as is (which hopefully could lead to more sold units, thereby supporting future Q development), rather than criticize what it is not. It's entirely possible the Q system is nearly complete. In which case, I'm still happy with it. It's really a good little camera

07-13-2012, 05:40 AM   #230
Site Supporter

Think the Q has sold decently world wide. Appears to have done very well in Asia. Yes it is selling at a low price now. Part of the huge price drop was because the Q started much more expensively than it needed to. Probably Pentax hedging their bets and trying to make back their money quickly. Pentax knew the Q would be a niche product in the beginning.

You might be surprised at how many 3rd party adapters are available for the Q. Take a look on Eekbay. There are pages of them! Even Novoflex has joined the party. I have 7 friends with Q and 5 have lens adapters. Some have more than 1. My ultra tele rig was placed on the Pentax Facebook page a few weeks ago by the Pentax rep. It gained a lot of attention. They were very happy with the number of shares, comments, and interest. Ultra small camera on big lenses is a new concept to most. It will take time to grow.

Think we will see more Q accessories including the ones roadmapped by Pentax. Ricoh has been good at nurturing their interchangable lens\sensor camera. That can't be a huge seller ( nice camera though). The Q must totally out sell it.

The future is bright and picking up steam.
barondla
07-14-2012, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #231
Pentaxian

More explorations of the world of the small with the Q.

Jumping Spider
Pentax Q; F100/2.8 macro at f5.6; ISO320 (cropped slightly, about 1/10 of the full frame)

much better focus and shake 'free' shots using multi-shot+tripod.
Getting the subject into the FOV is a pain at such extreme focal length.
07-16-2012, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #232
Veteran Member

FA 85/2.8 Soft @ 4.5

07-16-2012, 04:46 AM   #233
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
FA 85/2.8 Soft @ 4.5
Those are very interesting results. Almost makes me want to go and look for this lens, whereas it could never appeal to me on APS-C... Great work!!

Wim

07-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #234
Site Supporter

Wim, I don't know why you don't consider this lens on APS-C. Here are a couple of quick test shots I made with it: Pentax SMC-FA 85mm f2.8 Soft Focus Portrait Lens Photo Gallery by Jim King at pbase.com.

I also have some test shots with its older brother, the K 85/2.2: Pentax SMC-K 85mm f2.2 Soft Focus Portrait Lens Photo Gallery by Jim King at pbase.com

When my Jinfinance Q to K adapter arrives (several weeks) I hope to try out some of my more exotic K-mount lenses...

Regards, Jim
07-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #235
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote

When my Jinfinance Q to K adapter arrives (several weeks) I hope to try out some of my more exotic K-mount lenses...
Hi Jim,

Welcome to the Q subforum! I look forward to seeing some of your results with adapted lenses. I'm sure it won't take more than a few years to test them all . . .

BTW, my jinfinance adapter only took 10 days to get to Chicago, so it'll probably be sooner than several weeks.

Scott
07-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #236
Veteran Member

One thing I'd *love* for my Q would be a dedicated, compact macro lens. Yes, I can use my K-mount macro on the Q, but it's big -- and if I want big, I'll bring a K-mount camera along. I'd love something as compact as the 01 Prime, doing good macro

I absolutely consider the Q a successful camera, complements the K-series perfectly. That's not to say that the Q can't be perfected - it absolutely can. But, it's a great addition to the line-up, overall, with great IQ and handling, and solving most of the photographic situations I encounter nicely.

But, more glass would be cool. I'd also enjoy a prime tele (the old-fashion 135mm equivalent) - here's to hoping that it'll happen soon,
07-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #237

My two best shots of the year

These two portraits of my dogs were taken during a three week trial of a Pentax Q with the Prime lens.

Based upon these two shots, the Q is the best camera I have ever used.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
07-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #238

Future Q

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Think the Q has sold decently world wide. Appears to have done very well in Asia. Yes it is selling at a low price now. Part of the huge price drop was because the Q started much more expensively than it needed to. Probably Pentax hedging their bets and trying to make back their money quickly. Pentax knew the Q would be a niche product in the beginning.

You might be surprised at how many 3rd party adapters are available for the Q. Take a look on Eekbay. There are pages of them! Even Novoflex has joined the party. I have 7 friends with Q and 5 have lens adapters. Some have more than 1. My ultra tele rig was placed on the Pentax Facebook page a few weeks ago by the Pentax rep. It gained a lot of attention. They were very happy with the number of shares, comments, and interest. Ultra small camera on big lenses is a new concept to most. It will take time to grow.

Think we will see more Q accessories including the ones roadmapped by Pentax. Ricoh has been good at nurturing their interchangable lens\sensor camera. That can't be a huge seller ( nice camera though). The Q must totally out sell it.

The future is bright and picking up steam.
barondla
As you see from my dog pic uploads, the two best shots of the year have been with the Q.

I sold the Q because I found it unusable with adapted lenses and outdoors. Indoors with it's own lenses it is superb.

I use the Ricoh GXR now. It's ergonomics and adaptability sold me. I can not live without an eye level viewfinder outdoors.

What I would like to see with the Q...

1) accessory eye level electronic viewfinder as part of a body revision. (Might as well have a common viewfinder with the GXR...)

2) Allow the sensor based vibration reduction to operate when adapted lenses are mounted

3) Add digital zoom option in the firmware. Might be rarely used, but would add connivence.

4) Allow more custom options to the personal settings dial.

5) Develop a Q Mount (and KAF mount) for the GXR.

6) Alternate body option to allow use of AA batteries.
07-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #239
Pentaxian

More wanderings with the Q.
This time, trying to see what it is capable of for street/candid photography.
I was pretty irritated by its AF when I first got the camera, it seemed like the AF box was too small and often failed to capture anything with enough contrast to AF.
Then I read the manual and found that the box size could be changed in the AF point select mode, and once I did that, the Q was scoring.

I just love the Film, B/W, Bleach Bypass effects which can be switched with ease on the camera.

Last edited by pinholecam; 07-19-2012 at 06:28 AM.
07-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #240

QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
As you see from my dog pic uploads, the two best shots of the year have been with the Q.

I sold the Q because I found it unusable with adapted lenses and outdoors. Indoors with it's own lenses it is superb.

I use the Ricoh GXR now. It's ergonomics and adaptability sold me. I can not live without an eye level viewfinder outdoors.

What I would like to see with the Q...

1) accessory eye level electronic viewfinder as part of a body revision. (Might as well have a common viewfinder with the GXR...)

2) Allow the sensor based vibration reduction to operate when adapted lenses are mounted

3) Add digital zoom option in the firmware. Might be rarely used, but would add connivence.

4) Allow more custom options to the personal settings dial.

5) Develop a Q Mount (and KAF mount) for the GXR.

6) Alternate body option to allow use of AA batteries.
I need to add one more...

7) add focus peaking in manual focus mode... Just use the algorithms used in the GXR.