Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2013, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #2866

I like the Bold Monochrome Smart Effect <3
some random test shoots:

07-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #2867
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Love the wild ferns, the color is lovely.

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
A set of Hoya 55mm +1, +2 & +4 so I ordered a 40.5 to 55 adapter. The arches are also interesting, every time I see something like that it is full of people.

Hans
It's no problem to find this particular archway empty at this hour - it was something like 6:30 in the morning. That may change come fall, when the building with the rounded arches is fully occupied (it is a new building and I'm not sure if it's really occupied yet).

Hope you get the 06 back soon - I'll be interested in what you find out with the dioper adapters/close-up filters. My experience with such things has been mixed - one close-up filter I had was lousy, but then I also had the Phoenix 100 macro lens, with it's matched adapter, that was outstanding.

I've been struggling with adapted lenses and the Q for some reason. Occasionally I'll get something like the one I posted above, taken with the DA35 macro, but many/most are either too soft or the focus is just off. I haven't really mastered manual focusing with the LCD yet.

Last night I was in Las Vegas and there was an impressive lightning display. I understand the night before (Friday night) was even more spectacular (and was accompanied by enough rain to flood part of the Strip). I have never had any luck shooting lightning, and Saturday wasn't much different. I didn't have a tripod or the K5, only the Q. But I tried anyway, propping the camera up on a patio table. My first attempt was too long of a shutter speed - the sky looked like daytime instead of night and you couldn't see any indication of lightning. But after playing around with different exposure settings I managed to get this one before the lightning quit. It might not be a lightning bolt, but I thought the picture was neat anyway.

07-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #2868
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

07-22-2013, 06:11 AM - 5 Likes   #2869
Forum Member

hi all,

i took the toy lens wide with me on a day.

never liked these, wide or tele toy lens.

but,

i found out that the wide is pretty great on proxy.

and it's also pretty nice for street, specially in b&w, the noise is just lovely

reminds me of my old times using tmax film

07-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #2870
Pentaxian

There is nothing wrong with noise as long as the subject is clear :P

Lovely
07-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #2871
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spellcaster Quote
i took the toy lens wide with me on a day.
That is very good. I owned the Toy wide for a bit but never really used it much. Your shots show it off well.
07-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #2872
Pentaxian

The only issue with toy lenses is the f stop they begin at. I don't get it — if Pentax wanted an effect, they could make imperfect optical design but make toy lenses usable in more varied lighting conditions by opening them wider, say around f2. But they are good 3 stops slower, and I don't see the point doing that on such a small sensor that is by default usable up until f8. So they force me to crank up the ISO to use Toy lenses more, to get "an affect" .. which is consumed in noise, and which I can repeat with 01 and 02 lenses by cranking up the ISO and slightly blurring the edges.
I presume Toy lenses cost them close to nothing to make, but still ..

Last edited by Uluru; 07-22-2013 at 02:02 PM.
07-22-2013, 05:04 PM - 2 Likes   #2873
Forum Member

true,
i used to think about toy lens this way.

but since that day, i'm using the wide like a sort of ... way of shooting.
i feel the limits of the hardware, lights and shadows are difficult to handle with, manual focus isn't easy, slow aperture makes it sooooo unfriendly, small sensor with slow lens, and slow speed; bad high isos rendering, moton blur from low speed... everything is here for crappy shots. indeed, there is a little more of magic in these. Specially in b&w straight from the Q. I like the way i need to shoot qith that q + wide toy lens. It can seems to be difficult with all these limits, but, you can take it the other way. dont think about anything than shooting things just with what you got in your hands. i like it that way. reminds me of film time.

Things doesn't always need to be perfect. life isn't perfect neither.

i used to think about toy lens like a kinda real lens , but cheap, and with limitations.
i was wrong.
they seems to be at the opposite, it's a way to get rid of the false need of perfection.

my picts with toy lens are not the sharpest, not the cleanest, not the perfect ones. But i like the way they seems alive. more than most of my "sharpest/cleanest/perfect" ones

damn i'm weird
but i like shooting with that Q.
i feel shooting with that Q.

07-23-2013, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #2874

" my picts with toy lens are not the sharpest, not the cleanest, not the perfect ones ... "
And I like them too !
07-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #2875
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Nice shot I like the framing and colors

Hans
07-23-2013, 06:58 AM   #2876
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Very nice ferns, I like the exposure and the detail, nicely done

Hans
07-23-2013, 07:00 AM   #2877
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote

Last night I was in Las Vegas and there was an impressive lightning display. It might not be a lightning bolt, but I thought the picture was neat anyway.
I agree it is a neat shot, lightning is also on my bucket list.

Hans
07-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #2878
Pentaxian

A few with Q2

It seems that many of us here are soooo hooked by the Q that we have to get a 2nd body and I am not immune to the addiction. To bad I got it before the Q7 was announced.

Hans
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
07-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #2879
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
It seems that many of us here are soooo hooked by the Q that we have to get a 2nd body and I am not immune to the addiction. To bad I got it before the Q7 was announced.

Hans
Just means there will be a third Q in your collection some day. For my setup it seems inevitable.
thanks
barondla
07-23-2013, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #2880
Pentaxian

Original Q, 01 lens, f2.5, 1/1250 sec, iso125, processed in RawTherapee
Attached Images