Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2013, 04:29 AM   #2896

Taken with the 04 wide. Planning to get more lenses soon though.

Attached Images

07-28-2013, 06:10 AM   #2897

50mm Nikkor 1.8D. Pretty hard to shoot close up and hand held in dull light.
Attached Images

07-28-2013, 03:41 PM - 4 Likes   #2898
Forum Member

still taking picts with Q + wide toy lens.

still enjoying that.

07-29-2013, 04:57 AM   #2899
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by spellcaster Quote
still taking picts with Q + wide toy lens.
Great results! I'm gonna have to play around with the bold monochrome mode more...

07-29-2013, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #2900
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q + Q-K Adapter + A 100mm f4.0 + Extension Tubes... had a couple mins in the garden before work this morning....

07-29-2013, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #2901
Pentaxian

I am considering a Q for a biking/ day-carry camera. No offense to those here, but viewing the photos, I am of the opinion that the IQ is "adeqaute." As someone with a K100DS, K20D, and K-01, I am having a hard time convincing myself the Q is worth the $, other than that it "looks cool." Is the IQ better than a P&S?
07-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #2902

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
other than that it "looks cool." Is the IQ better than a P&S?
I haven't played around with recent P&Ss, so I couldn't tell you if it's better or by how much. I can tell you that it's, as you say, at least adequate. It's convenient sized (though with the 02 zoom on you have to reconsider the portability - small, but awkward shaped for bags). It does have far superior control over a P&S. Tv, Av, TAv (M with auto ISO enabled) exposure compensation, basically if it's in your Pentax DSLR's, it's in this little guy (some exclusions may apply - my dSLR for reference is K200D)

/threadjack

----edit----

as you can see, I'm also in Madison. If you want to meet up somewhere and get hands on, just bring an SD card. PM me if so.

07-29-2013, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #2903
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
other than that it "looks cool." Is the IQ better than a P&S?
Hard question, I have a Canon S100 arguably one of the better P&S's using a small sensor. It has a 1/1.7 sensor f2-f5.9 zoom, vs. the Q's 1/2.3 and the Canon beats the Q in IQ very slightly in my tests, But there are so many things the Q can do that the Canon can't, like extreme Telephoto, extreme macro, getting a f1.7 or faster 275mm equiv using a 50mm K mount for low light concert arena shots, the f1.9 prime for low light, Also getting into many places that don't allow a lens longer than 6" I have a small super tak 150 (825mm equiv.) that nobody looks at. Then there are all the other lenses that can be adapted form C mount to other old SLR's. Now my wife has a Canon A4000 with a 1/2.3 sensor and the Q beats the pants off that.

Hans
07-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #2904
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am considering a Q for a biking/ day-carry camera. No offense to those here, but viewing the photos, I am of the opinion that the IQ is "adeqaute." As someone with a K100DS, K20D, and K-01, I am having a hard time convincing myself the Q is worth the $, other than that it "looks cool." Is the IQ better than a P&S?
IQ is adequate. I wouldn't get anything for $200 just because it looks cool.
I bought my Q's for the stuff Hans mentions above.
If I were you I'd take Pez up on his offer to see it in person.
07-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #2905
Forum Member

Yep the s100 does a little better than the Q. The Q does slightly better in low light though according to DXO mark. DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side
07-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #2906
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stuff like this is why I like the Q.
This Katydid nymph is approx 6mm in body length.
Shot with the Q + DFA 100WR.

07-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #2907

Pentax Q has adequate IQ, but not every camera built the same, IMO, the jpeg render on Pentax Q is different, especially the grain like noise, you can control the noise reduction, the noise is more like film grain, it's beautiful. Before you touch the Pentax Q in my hand, I though it would give you the same sensation just like when you touch another advanced pocket camera (I have Canon G11 and G1X), but, the first time I touch the Pentax Q, there is a different sensation, it's just different, you want to play with it more, you feels more fun with it, you feel addicted to it. My G11 and G1x never intriguing my sense of creativity as much as Pentax Q. Yes, it's odd, but it happens to me
So, before making the decision, why don't you tried the Pentax Q first.
07-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #2908
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ezradja Quote
Pentax Q has adequate IQ, but not every camera built the same, IMO, the jpeg render on Pentax Q is different, especially the grain like noise, you can control the noise reduction, the noise is more like film grain, it's beautiful. Before you touch the Pentax Q in my hand, I though it would give you the same sensation just like when you touch another advanced pocket camera (I have Canon G11 and G1X), but, the first time I touch the Pentax Q, there is a different sensation, it's just different, you want to play with it more, you feels more fun with it, you feel addicted to it. My G11 and G1x never intriguing my sense of creativity as much as Pentax Q. Yes, it's odd, but it happens to me
So, before making the decision, why don't you tried the Pentax Q first.
" the first time I touch the Pentax Q, there is a different sensation, it's just different, you want to play with it more, you feels more fun with it, you feel addicted to it. My G11 and G1x never intriguing my sense of creativity as much as Pentax Q. Yes, it's odd, but it happens to me "

that's so true!
07-30-2013, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #2909

Hi, everyone.

I got my Pentax Q two weeks ago. Just before I left for a summer trip.

Here are some photos from the camera
The lens is standard prime 8.5mm

the set is here creta - a set on Flickr

Some thoughts about the camera

The lens
The was not alot of surprise about this camera for me, except the lens.
I expected the lens to be a way better. Even not just better, but to be in a diffrent "league".
The contrast is too low, and the destortion is huge. After it's corrected, the is a very small space left in the raw file. It's a bit hard to get the result I want to see from the Q files.

Sutter sound.
I thought the shutter sound would be quite loud, as the mirrorless cameras are in general. But the Q is very quite.

the high ISO noise.
It's looks good only if the light is good. If a high ISO image is low contrast it's hard to get any intresting color and contrast out of it.
Even a BWfrom such a file is
hardly good enough for a 10*15cm print.

07-30-2013, 07:05 AM   #2910
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SBorisov Quote
I got my Pentax Q two weeks ago. Just before I left for a summer trip.
Nice shots, you have a lot of talent!
I feel the Q tends to overexpose if left on its own so I tend to use some negative exposure comp or manually set it to under expose.
High ISO is not its strong point so I use base ISO as much as possible, but if needed the high ISO output can be cleaned some with noise reduction.