Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2014, 10:25 PM   #3421
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Absolutely incredible under the ice images, 6BQ5. One of the most creative landscapes I have seen. Wow! Careful, Pentax has not blessed us with a water proof Q- yet.
thanks
barondla

01-19-2014, 11:03 PM   #3422
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
The "Are You Coming?" is a good one!
Thanks, Boris!
01-20-2014, 10:11 PM - 2 Likes   #3423
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The local ditches are continuing their thaw. Today I explored a new ditch whose openings in the ice are big enough for me to climb inside of. The space is a bit cramped so it's hard to position my Q for an ideal framing.

I cropped the shot above panoramic style because the chunks of ice and rock at what was the bottom of the frame were very blurry. The Q didn't have enough DoF to render everything sharp - which is fine. I think the result is still OK.

I repositioned myself a bit and turned to the right. The image above is cropped from the original to get rid of the blurry bits which were up close. This shot was taken at f/7.1 which helped increase the DoF at the expense of diffraction. It's only really noticeable when pixel peeping though. I am really liking the colors that I am getting from the shaded sunlight filtering through the ice on top.

Then I turned as far as I could and got the shot above. I had to crop it too.

The ND filter is a big help in getting the shutter speed down although I wish my Q's base ISO was lower than 125. Dropping down to 100 may only be a small incremental step but I would take it. Stopping down beyond f/4.5 may give an increase in perceived sharpness due to an increase of DoF but details are softer. I think I'll keep my minimum aperture limit at f/4.5 from now unless there's a special need.

I shot all of these in DNG and did my own post processing. The biggest effect was an increase in contrast and sharpening (both RAW Fine Tuning and Edge Sharpening). It seems like the DNG files are a bit soft out of the camera and the contrast is low. The joy of post processing is that I know all the image information is in the file and I just have to massage it out.

I'm sure I could have managed taking my K-30 down with me but it would have been much more awkward due to the larger size of the body and lens. A similar sized point and shoot would not give me the same zoom and aperture control I needed here. A premium compact would have worked well - maybe even better if it had a slightly larger sensor. But, if the sensor is too big then the lens will be too big too. This is where I think a tilting screen would have helped. MX-1, maybe?
01-21-2014, 02:11 AM - 4 Likes   #3424

Pics with the Q7 and 02 kit lens. Just got an 06, but no pics yet.
Was generally a miserable day with a few bright spells.
Taken in RAW and processed in Rawtherapee on linux
Waterfall pic is taken on a POD bean bag at 1/4 second to try and do something with the waterfall. Unfortunately, you couldn't get all of the waterfall, just this top half, far too dangerous.

Just noticed no exif info, will check if rawtherapee is doing this.

This one was a rare glimpse of blue sky, just luck to catch the sunrays as lens flare. Tried later on to get the same effect further down the hill but no luck, was it just good luck?

J

These are some of my first proper pics with the Q7 and am quite happy with it :-)

01-21-2014, 02:34 AM   #3425
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
These are some of my first proper pics with the Q7 and am quite happy with it :-)
They showed the true value of Q7 in your hands.
Is the first one a composit?
01-21-2014, 02:42 AM   #3426

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
They showed the true value of Q7 in your hands.
Is the first one a composit?
I'm actually quite new to this, so by composit do you mean a few shots blended as an HDR?

It's not, it's a single raw file done in Rawtherapee. I didn't adjust the slider that gives the tonal range bit - the HDR like bit. It was saturated up somewhat and I adjusted the exposure up 1/2 a stop as it was a little dark. But apart from that, it's just denoised and sharpened.
Does it look false?

J
01-21-2014, 02:48 AM   #3427
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does it look false?
No, It was a misunderstanding from me, I thought that you shot one photo without the man with slow shutter, and another one with him, normal, and blended them later.
It doesn't look like HDR at all

It's a very nice shot to me. Clear and almost 3D looking.
01-21-2014, 03:14 AM   #3428

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
No, It was a misunderstanding from me, I thought that you shot one photo without the man with slow shutter, and another one with him, normal, and blended them later.
It doesn't look like HDR at all

It's a very nice shot to me. Clear and almost 3D looking.
Ah, I see. I, That's me , just stood very still for 1/4 second till the wife shouted "OK"

and yes, I see now how I almost look detached, it's not by design!
J

01-21-2014, 07:38 AM   #3429
Pentaxian

This one was a rare glimpse of blue sky, just luck to catch the sunrays as lens flare. Tried later on to get the same effect further down the hill but no luck, was it just good luck?

J

You should be happy, I really like the colors and sharpness of the 2nd image
01-21-2014, 08:29 AM   #3430
Site Supporter

I really like the sunbeam flare in the second one! Are you using a hood on this lens?
01-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #3431
Site Supporter

Very nice Jethro! I'd guess the first one was with the built in ND filter to show the water motion. Nice More impressive because you say your new, very well done.

Edit: there should be a pot of gold, or the fountain of youth or something in the clearing on your second photo, Thanks for sharing!
01-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #3432

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I really like the sunbeam flare in the second one! Are you using a hood on this lens?
no hood, just the lens.
Tried to recapture the effect a few more times on the way down, but no luck.

J
01-21-2014, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #3433

QuoteOriginally posted by ToyTank Quote
Very nice Jethro! I'd guess the first one was with the built in ND filter to show the water motion. Nice More impressive because you say your new, very well done.

Edit: there should be a pot of gold, or the fountain of youth or something in the clearing on your second photo, Thanks for sharing!
Yes, used the built in ND filter.

We were at Amsterdam in May last year with a Compact Camera, just a simple old Canon Ixus.
Saw many wonderful things and got many average but OK pics. So the wife and I decided to get a better camera.
Probably July I remember. A Sony NEX. Bought the Q7 about 2 months ago.
Initially it was just to "capture better memories" of places we went, but it's developed a bit since then, been learning ever since.
I did have a basic SLR 30 years ago, but used it just as a P&S basically.

J
01-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #3434

pedestrian lane
My first picture post. Q using 01 lens

Last edited by ivanator; 01-24-2014 at 09:29 AM. Reason: picture not showing
01-21-2014, 10:01 AM   #3435
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
See here for how to post photos:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/6-how-upload-photos-b...tart-here.html