Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2015, 04:47 AM - 2 Likes   #4381
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,921
Some shots today from a very short session with some fellow Pentaxians.
The really fantastic thing here is that the community is close knit and able to get together easily for such shoots.

Q7+Vivitar 55/2.8 macro












---------- Post added 01-25-2015 at 07:47 PM ----------












01-25-2015, 06:19 AM   #4382
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 201
Are those macros handheld?
01-25-2015, 06:37 AM   #4383
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,921
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveNunez Quote
Are those macros handheld?
No, I use a tripod.
It's not always locked though.
Very often is just for stability.

At such long eq FL, its necessary imo.
01-28-2015, 12:16 AM   #4384
Site Supporter
chemtech's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 488
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Some shots today from a very short session with some fellow Pentaxians.
The really fantastic thing here is that the community is close knit and able to get together easily for such shoots.
Q7+Vivitar 55/2.8 macro
Oh, these are just excellent!
Can I ask if you used the Official Pentax Q adapter with the Vivitar?

01-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #4385
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 201
Super impressive macros- fantastic job!!!!!!
(Ringlight?)
01-28-2015, 11:52 AM   #4386
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Marseille Provence
Photos: Albums
Posts: 61
Let's show shots with Q outside PF ?

.
yes, fantastic pictures in this thread, indeed !
and not only in this page...
congrats !

maybe some winners for the DPR «Pentax Q Series» challenge ?
www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=10299
try your luck, from 51 to 91 possible uploads remaining
but the challenge submission ends in 54h !

pics from Pentax Q, Q10, Q7, Qs1 are allowed...
good luck !
01-30-2015, 03:25 PM - 2 Likes   #4387
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 587


The original Q with El-Nikkor 50/2,8 (enlarger lens). Handheld with LED - video light.
01-31-2015, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #4388
Pentaxian
ToyTank's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 675
I just upgraded from OG Q to Q7, and also acquired an 01 and 06 lens. First outing with them first image w/01 second w/ 06.





01-31-2015, 11:57 PM   #4389
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,921
QuoteOriginally posted by chemtech Quote
Oh, these are just excellent!
Can I ask if you used the Official Pentax Q adapter with the Vivitar?
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveNunez Quote
Super impressive macros- fantastic job!!!!!!
(Ringlight?)
Thanks.
Its was with a cheap ebay adapter.
The OEM adapter will be better as it can do a flash sync of 1/250.
However, I was being cheap and hoping that an eventual electronic shutter would provide it (in camera) and save on needed the OEM adapter in the near future.
02-01-2015, 08:21 AM   #4390
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,983
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Thanks.
Its was with a cheap ebay adapter.
The OEM adapter will be better as it can do a flash sync of 1/250.
However, I was being cheap and hoping that an eventual electronic shutter would provide it (in camera) and save on needed the OEM adapter in the near future.
I don't see flash synch as a big deal. My first camera synched with (bulb) flash by having a "B" setting which opened the shutter when I pressed the button and closed the shutter when I released the button, not fast at all. Modern electronic flashes emit light for something like 1/1000 second, but many cameras set themselves to a shutter speed of 1/60 when they recognize a flash (my Q7 sets itself to 1/20 when I use it with a Pentax flash), so unless you are doing fill-in flash, you have the effect of a 1/1000 shutter speed under most circumstances regardless of what your actual shutter speed is.
02-01-2015, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #4391
Site Supporter
tlong423's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kansas City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 183
A shot of my cat with a Pentax Q-S1 and 01 Standard Prime lens:

02-01-2015, 05:34 PM   #4392
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,185
I often use the Pentax Q to document my DIY shadetree mechanic efforts, particularly to help me put things back together properly. Once in a while I find an interesting subject.


Running a little rich, I'd say
by john m flores, on Flickr


Running a little rich, I'd say
by john m flores, on Flickr


A little better
by john m flores, on Flickr


Better not best
by john m flores, on Flickr
02-01-2015, 06:51 PM   #4393
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,921
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't see flash synch as a big deal. My first camera synched with (bulb) flash by having a "B" setting which opened the shutter when I pressed the button and closed the shutter when I released the button, not fast at all. Modern electronic flashes emit light for something like 1/1000 second, but many cameras set themselves to a shutter speed of 1/60 when they recognize a flash (my Q7 sets itself to 1/20 when I use it with a Pentax flash), so unless you are doing fill-in flash, you have the effect of a 1/1000 shutter speed under most circumstances regardless of what your actual shutter speed is.

The problem is 1/15 takes in the ambient exposure, resulting in blur.
The Q7 setup suffers from diffraction past f5.6, though in my use, I have found f8 to be still ok, but more than that, and it becomes more apparent.
So a typical working setting for the macros at ISO100, f8, 1/15, starts to give blurring issues once the environment gets a bit brighter.
In darker settings like night/early dawn/under heavy canopy, then, yes, the settings are dark enough such that there is no contribution to the shot.
02-01-2015, 09:25 PM   #4394
Loyal Site Supporter
pacerr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Henry, TN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,910
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
So a typical working setting for the macros at ISO100, f8, 1/15, starts to give blurring issues once the environment gets a bit brighter.
So perhaps a practical application for a real ND filter to open up the aperture a bit? I don't know it the in-camera ND filter actually affects the aperture in the manner needed.
02-02-2015, 01:03 AM   #4395
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,921
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
So perhaps a practical application for a real ND filter to open up the aperture a bit? I don't know it the in-camera ND filter actually affects the aperture in the manner needed.
Good idea, worth a try.
The built in ND filter is the lens (ie. 01, 06, 02, not sure about 08)
For adapted lenses, there won't be any built in ND.

However, adding a ND filter may cut off the ambient at a setting of say ISO100, f8, 1/15.
Flash power has to go up to compensate, but there should be enough at such close distances.
What I want is to prevent the exposure to be affected by the ambient with only the flash contributing to the exposure of the shot.
The flash will give close to instantaneous speed for motion stopping purposes (without the ambient giving blur issues)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
air force, camera, eye, flash, flickr, lens, mirrorless, palm springs, pentax, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, phil, pm, post, q-s1, q10, q7, rain, shot, studio, thanks, time, triggers
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
People I now have to share my K7 dgaies Post Your Photos! 25 01-18-2014 04:21 AM
Macro Let's share this one! eaglem Post Your Photos! 4 08-20-2011 03:47 PM
Nature We Like To Share! eaglem Post Your Photos! 4 04-22-2011 07:21 PM
Something to share Mallee Boy General Talk 7 05-13-2010 03:50 PM
Tips for shooting lens comparison shots you like to share? cheekygeek Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 01-21-2010 05:55 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:47 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top