View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
10-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #437
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CobusBasson Quote
with regards to IQ I am not 100% convinced yet.
I love the last image you posted. I also think all of your images could really come to life if worked in post a little more. Some strategic contrast / curve work could really make some of the tones pop.
10-13-2012, 05:40 AM - 2 Likes   #438
Site Supporter

Ottawa

Saturday morning in Ottawa

10-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #439

@fuent104: I am a bit of a lazy photographer, I rarely do any post processing, I just take pictures and use them straight out of the camera, but maybe you're right, a bit of post processing could maybe bring my pictures to life. It's just that playing with Photoshop makes me feel as if I am not a good photographer because I have to "fix" my bad work artificially.

10-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #440

@fuent104: I am a bit of a lazy photographer, I rarely do any post processing, I just take pictures and use them straight out of the camera, but maybe you're right, a bit of post processing could maybe bring my pictures to life. It's just that playing with Photoshop makes me feel as if I am not a good photographer because I have to "fix" my bad work artificially.
To start...I find your pics from the Q not that bad at all!
And I also don't like lots of post processing on my pictures as well.

But I took the freedom to take one of your pictures and load in CS5.
I just did 2 minor adjustments (1 minute work!), I changed the levels al little en after that, the contrast and brightness just a little....thats all!
This is the result (all adjustments depends on your own taste of course!)

If you does'nt appriciate this, I immediately remove this picture of course!

These minor adjustments I also apply on my pictures taken with my K20D (and all I take with oldfashoned anlog camera's :-)

Henk
10-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #441

Goeie werk Henk, ek hou daarvan. Seeing that you are Dutch I hope you can understand a bit of Afrikaans? I am South African, but have been living in Paris for 4 years now. Anyway, I Like what you have done, in fact I played around earlier today and did something very similar with that exact same image. By the way I don't have Photoshop, I use Paintshop Pro X4 Ultimate, it was a lot cheaper to buy than Photoshop.

I never really take B&W pictures, but the idea of street photography appealed to me and I started playing around with monochrome. The more time I spend with the Q, the more I like it. The way I look at it is, my DSLR is so good that I don't put much into the shots, whereas with the Q I find that I have to work a lot harder at getting good results, but it is a lot more fun. I have seen some amazing images on this forum, I am now really trying hard to improve my photography.

By the way,I have the white Q with the 01 prime, picked it up for 284€ brand new, now I see the black model brand new available for 299€ with the 5-15mm zoom. I am actually considering getting this as well, seeing that the 5-15mm zoom alone is 279€, I figure that buying the kit with the zoom gives me a zoom, an extra battery and charger, and an extra body!
10-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #442
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I'ts great that the price has finally dropped so much in the EU. I find myself shooting stills with the 01 STANDARD 90% of the time but a few shots with the zoom all the way out too. Grrr! I want a wide prime :-)

10-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #443
Site Supporter

Saturday night in Ottawa

12 hours later

and more:

Last edited by mamethot; 10-13-2012 at 07:45 PM.
10-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #444

Some from today....

This is from the 01 Prime

All the rest of these shots are from the Cosmicar/Pentax 4.8mm fixed focus f1.8 C mount lens I am testing. Most of the shots are at f2.8.

I am really liking this lens. At first it seemed soft but I realized it was considerably sharper if I unscrewed it from the adapter about an 1/8 of a turn. Because it is fixed focus the flange length needs to be perfect. The les has provisions for adding spacers internally (2 shims inside from the facory) to help set the focus properly. For now I added a small piece of paper between the adapter and the lens. That has helped sharpen it up. You can also partially unscrew the lens to let it focus closer.

This last one was from before I added the paper spacer between the mount.

Shawn
10-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #445
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's just that playing with Photoshop makes me feel as if I am not a good photographer because I have to "fix" my bad work artificially.
I've heard people state this feeling a lot of times. It's very understandable, but also very misguided. Photos have pretty much always been manipulated in post. Ansel Adams is one of the more famous "post" (meaning dark room) magicians of all time. In the dark room, a lot of factors affect the finished print, and each of the variables has its own personality. I.e., the chemicals, temperature, and length of time the film spent developing. Then, the contrast filters used in the englarger, and even the paper itself, had a huge impact on the final print. When viewing slides, the lens and light bulb in the projector, as well as the screen you view it on, affect how the image looks.

The result is that "straight out of the camera" has never been the predominant method of viewing / disseminating photos. Except for photographic systems with less fidelity, like Polaroid, and some of the historical processes from the 19th century.

Finally, your camera simply isn't psychic. It's not capable of know what you want to see in an image.
10-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #446
Veteran Member

Goodness me, there is some wonderful work in here. Hopefully I can get even remotely close. Well done everybody
10-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #447

Shawn, I would like to know how you get such vivid colors. What are your settings? I used natural and just cranked up the saturation, but that resulted in smeared pictures, especially the greens. I now alternate between natural and bright settings, but my colors seem flat and dull.
10-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #448

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
12 hours later
Great to see the view from Ottowa in day and night, but i love the nightshot more :-)
10-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #449

Goeie werk Henk, ek hou daarvan. Seeing that you are Dutch I hope you can understand a bit of Afrikaans? I am South African, but have been living in Paris for 4 years now. Anyway, I Like what you have done, in fact I played around earlier today and did something very similar with that exact same image. By the way I don't have Photoshop, I use Paintshop Pro X4 Ultimate, it was a lot cheaper to buy than Photoshop.

I never really take B&W pictures, but the idea of street photography appealed to me and I started playing around with monochrome. The more time I spend with the Q, the more I like it. The way I look at it is, my DSLR is so good that I don't put much into the shots, whereas with the Q I find that I have to work a lot harder at getting good results, but it is a lot more fun. I have seen some amazing images on this forum, I am now really trying hard to improve my photography.

By the way,I have the white Q with the 01 prime, picked it up for 284 brand new, now I see the black model brand new available for 299 with the 5-15mm zoom. I am actually considering getting this as well, seeing that the 5-15mm zoom alone is 279, I figure that buying the kit with the zoom gives me a zoom, an extra battery and charger, and an extra body!
I understand South African a liitle, it looks a lot to Dutch, but sometimes it isn't that simular :-)

Black and white is super...and not only for street photography, i just love B&W
It take some time to get used on the little Q, but when you're it's so much fun to work with.
And ofcourse it doesn't matter with what programm you process you pictures, only the result counts.

I don't use the zoom very often, most of the time the superb prime and the fisheye.
My Q was one of the first in the Neterlands...that's not so clever of course...I've paid 649,- for the kit with the prime and the zoom.....Always very expensive if you can't wait :-(

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I've heard people state this feeling a lot of times. It's very understandable, but also very misguided. Photos have pretty much always been manipulated in post. Ansel Adams is one of the more famous "post" (meaning dark room) magicians of all time. In the dark room, a lot of factors affect the finished print, and each of the variables has its own personality. I.e., the chemicals, temperature, and length of time the film spent developing. Then, the contrast filters used in the englarger, and even the paper itself, had a huge impact on the final print. When viewing slides, the lens and light bulb in the projector, as well as the screen you view it on, affect how the image looks.

The result is that "straight out of the camera" has never been the predominant method of viewing / disseminating photos. Except for photographic systems with less fidelity, like Polaroid, and some of the historical processes from the 19th century.

Finally, your camera simply isn't psychic. It's not capable of know what you want to see in an image.
I aggree, I really try to minimize the work on the computer, but there is always some work to do on a picture

QuoteOriginally posted by Zorglub Quote
I think I'ts great that the price has finally dropped so much in the EU. I find myself shooting stills with the 01 STANDARD 90% of the time but a few shots with the zoom all the way out too. Grrr! I want a wide prime :-)
Great shots!
10-14-2012, 05:11 AM   #450

"I would like to know how you get such vivid colors. What are your settings?"

Those are all the "Reversal Film" setting. It works well under sunlight but I find it terrible indoors with CFLs. Indoors I use the natural setting and have both assigned to the front dial. The second picture (side of the boat and sail) I corrected the WB. The rest are SOOC JPGs.

Shawn