by John Flores, on Flickr

01-14-2016, 09:53 AM   #4907
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, that Panny is tiny!
01-14-2016, 11:57 AM   #4908
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Is there any way to do something similar with SilkyPix? (...)
Another option viable for many Pentax Users is to use Pentax Digital Utility v 5. Even if it is supposed to be dedicated to the newer DSLRs only it opens also Q (and most probably Q7/QS1) images and gives good colours by default.
01-14-2016, 01:44 PM   #4909
Pentaxian

Lot of excellent shots lately!

01-14-2016, 02:35 PM   #4910

These wonderful shots make me want to take my Q7 out for a shoot! You're all enablers I hope you know!

---------- Post added 01-14-16 at 05:12 PM ----------

Q7 + 06 + golden hour =

01-14-2016, 03:12 PM   #4911
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm not sure about SilkyPix. I don't use the subscription model with Adobe - I buy the perpetual license for the products, so it's a one off cost. I did this for both Lightroom 6 and Photoshop Elements 14, though in truth Lightroom does 99.9% of what I need. Lightroom isn't that expensive, if you plan on getting several years' use out of it.

I hope you don't mind, but I downloaded the pic you posted and ran it through Lightroom - I actually did just two tweaks to it - Luminance noise reduction set to 40 (a little higher than I mentioned in my previous reply), and Sharpening - Amount 50, Radius 1.5, Masking 65 (again, general settings that would act as a good starting point for most images). It looks much better to me, and if I'd started with the high resolution RAW file instead of JPG it would be better still.

EDIT: I just tried downloading the trial version of Helicon Filter software. You can buy a perpetual license for that for $24 - a fraction of what Lightroom costs. Now, personally I think Lightroom is superior, but I've just had a go at reducing noise using Helicon Filter and it works well. Plus, it supports batch processing.
Of course I didn't mind - I need all the help I can get. (thank you!) As someone who used slide film through out the film era, all this stuff is conceptually new to me, and I can use all the suggestions I can get. When I do a search for Lightroom clones, they seem to focus more on the library functions than on the developing functions, Darktable looks to me to be the best alternative, but the one system they openly do not support is Windows (which is all I have right now); I've been thinking of getting a Linux system, and this may push me to actually do that. I suppose I should try out RawTherapee also.
01-14-2016, 04:27 PM   #4912
Pentaxian

.... I suppose I should try out RawTherapee also.
You should try it out. I don't care for Lightroom's cataloguing abilities. In fact, I kinda hate them. Darktable is pretty neat, but I can't get the processed results that I want out of it. Less demosaicing algorithims. The closest thing that I have seen to Lightroom's processing ability is RawTherapee. Lightroom still has a slight image quality edge when going past ISO 3200, but it's not by much. Visit my RawTherapee thread in my signature.
01-14-2016, 05:44 PM   #4913
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
You should try it out. I don't care for Lightroom's cataloguing abilities. In fact, I kinda hate them. Darktable is pretty neat, but I can't get the processed results that I want out of it. Less demosaicing algorithims. The closest thing that I have seen to Lightroom's processing ability is RawTherapee. Lightroom still has a slight image quality edge when going past ISO 3200, but it's not by much. Visit my RawTherapee thread in my signature.
Thank you very much for the links to current downloads (the last time I tried to download this software, I spent several hours cleaning up something (called "winvac" IIRC) that was extremely annoying but my computer didn't recognize it as a virus.

01-14-2016, 07:54 PM   #4914
Site Supporter

Is there any way to do something similar with SilkyPix? In general, I do not like the new "subscription" model used by companies such as MicroSoft and Adobe to turn me into a perpetual source of money; to paraphrase Everett Dirksen, former senator from Illinois, "ten dollars here; ten dollars there; soon we're talking about real money". These days I'm using gimp instead of PhotoShop, but the only Lightroom clone I'm aware of doesn't seem to have a Windows port (but someday I'll get a Linux box and can use it).

Below is an example of the type of picture I'm talking about. (we went to the local performance of a group known as "Straight No Chaser", and our seats were in the first row of the second balcony - so we had nothing but air, a lot of air, between use and them)
Reh, I use Photoshop CC, it cost me $ 9.99 a month and that includes light room if I wanted it. To buy Photoshop was not an option for me but at $ 120.00 a year it's affordable and all upgrades are free. Anyway, I gave this image a try and think that there is some improvement. Working from the raw file would improve things drastically. Hope that you are OK with me doing this.

01-14-2016, 08:05 PM   #4915
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Reh, I use Photoshop CC, it cost me $ 9.99 a month and that includes light room if I wanted it. To buy Photoshop was not an option for me but at $ 120.00 a year it's affordable and all upgrades are free. Anyway, I gave this image a try and think that there is some improvement. Working from the raw file would improve things drastically. Hope that you are OK with me doing this.
Heinrich, you may fix my images any time you want to. Thank you for the work and for the advice.
01-14-2016, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #4916
Site Supporter

25mm C-mount TV lens f:1.4

When I got this lens last month it came with a macro extension ring without spec's, I tried to measure it and I think it's 5mm. Here are two images at f:2, just the light of the tea candle flame.

01-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #4917
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is there any way to do something similar with SilkyPix? In general, I do not like the new "subscription" model used by companies such as MicroSoft and Adobe to turn me into a perpetual source of money; to paraphrase Everett Dirksen, former senator from Illinois, "ten dollars here; ten dollars there; soon we're talking about real money". These days I'm using gimp instead of PhotoShop, but the only Lightroom clone I'm aware of doesn't seem to have a Windows port (but someday I'll get a Linux box and can use it).
Both Microsoft and Adobe offer non subscription versions of their software so if that is the issue you can get non subscription copies. However having said that, for the Pentax Q7 all you really need is Lightroom 5 which will then allow you to update to the last release for that version which I believe is 5.7. You can get new licensed copies of Lightroom 5 on Ebay. That is how I got my copy. Though there is not much support for it, SilkyPix is OK but after you use Lightroom you will not want to go back.

In addition, if you progress further there are some nice add on programs to Lightroom such as Silver Efex which provides great tools for manipulating and enhancing B&W images. There are abunch of video’s on You Tube showing both Lightroom 5 as well as Silver Efex.
01-14-2016, 09:21 PM   #4918
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
There are a bunch of video’s on You Tube showing both Lightroom 5 as well as Silver Efex.
Thanks, ... but my father-in-law used to call us "throw backs". My wife and I may be the only people on the planet who would rather read a tutorial than watch a video.
01-14-2016, 10:26 PM   #4919
Loyal Site Supporter

You're not alone on this planet.
01-15-2016, 01:28 PM   #4920
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks, ... but my father-in-law used to call us "throw backs". My wife and I may be the only people on the planet who would rather read a tutorial than watch a video.
I suggested video’s to assist in learning Lightroom because most people prefer that method of learning and many of the videos explore undocumented shortcuts, tips and tricks. However if you are the type who likes written instructions there are even more WEB sites dedicated to learning Lightroom 5. If that does not suit you there are several excellent books on the subject. This is one that I found helpful and was able to purchase off an Ebay seller for about half the suggested retail price.

If it's something you really want to learn and implement into your photographic work flow, there are many readily available tutorial resources out there to assist you without putting a lot of money into the project.